One layout started and another planned...

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
James Hilton

One layout started and another planned...

Postby James Hilton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi guys - I thought I'd introduce myself as I've started a P4 project in earnest, and have another due to start in the next few months. I'm 29 and based in the North West, and my modelling interest started as a kid with my Grandpa and Dad. I built 3 layouts with my Dad, two OO and a Canadian based HO. Obviously school and university meant modelling took a massive back seat but with the birth of my first child in 2007 I returned to the hobby. I've constructed a OO layout with heavily modified, weathered and detailed ready to run stock, based on an MOD branch spur just north of Winchester on the old Didcot Newbury and Southampton (Worthy Down actually - although the layout is named Paxton Road after a childhood memory, I'm not a Spurs fan!). Anyway late last year I was toying with the idea of trying P4 being a life long reader of MRJ, and with the RM Web 2010 challenge and some encouragement from Jim SW, the Fatadder and Flymo (to name a few) I took the plunge!

So what are my projects?

First up, Rose Hill - Marple.
This is a nice straight forward one - no points and simple P4 Track Company Fast Track bases. I'm modelling the single line branch terminus as it appears today, as such I've detailed, re-wheeled and about to re-paint an aging Hornby Pacer. Work has been slow but steady but I'm enjoying myself - observing the prototype more closely than I have with my previous layouts, and although Rose Hill is not 100% to scale I was inspired by seeing Jim SW's New Street at the RM Web members day last year.
I'm building it as part of the RM Web 2010 challenge - and you can read more about it and check out some of the progress on the Pacer and buildings on my blog.

More recently I've found myself wondering about trying my hand at etched brass kit construction... something I tried as a teenager but couldn't get the hang of! Well watching a Judith Edge kit go together on someone elses blog, coupled with an interest in the Manchester Ship Canal Railway led me to purchase a Judith Edge Sentinel 230hp, supplied with a Black Beetle motor bogie in P4. This is likely to run on a small diarama type layout depicting some of the worn out and run down atmosphere of the line in the late 1990s - with inspiration taken mainly from the Ellesmere Port branches. This concept is provisionally called 'Meadow Lane', but one of the reasons I'm here is I'm curious about the Armchair challenge and whether my plans would fit the criteria...

So hello and that's me...

As I say I've a couple of questions...

1) What's this 'armchair challenge' I've heard about - does anyone have any more details? I know it's 600x400 maximum, with a max height of 600 and must have two figures and one item of stock (that doesn't need to move). What else? Timescales? How to enter?

2) What do I 'get' if I join the S4 society? I'm not usually one for joining societies or clubs with my modelling - but am open to convincing so please do post and let me know the benefits of joining the Scalefour Society, and tempt me to part with my cash!

Thanks and I look forward to reading responses! :)

dcockling

Re: One layout started and another planned...

Postby dcockling » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:34 am

James Hilton wrote:Hi guys - I thought I'd introduce myself as I've started a P4 project in earnest, and have another due to start in the next few months. I'm 29 and based in the North West.....

What do I 'get' if I join the S4 society? I'm not usually one for joining societies or clubs with my modelling - but am open to convincing so please do post and let me know the benefits of joining the Scalefour Society, and tempt me to part with my cash!

Hi James,

What you 'get' in bald terms for your £23.50 is five copies per year of our magazine Scalefour News, a high quality professionally printed journal packed with up-to-date news and information, feature articles on modelling projects and techniques, letters and reports on members' activities, shows, products and other developments; along with the show guides for our three exhibitions Scalefour North, Scalefour Southwest and Scaleforum as well as a discounted entrance fee to the shows; full membership of this forum; a copy of the Scalefour Digest; access to the Scalefour Stores; information on our Area Group network and what is for me the most important thing, the pleasure of belonging to a Society of friendly, helpful, likeminded souls who are willing to share their knowledge and experience, offer their encouragement and see if they can learn something from you. We're also running a Scalefour Society Workbench at the end of February (it's in London) but full details are here and at most of our shows you'll find practical help in the form of lectures and demonstrations.

You'll get some backnumbers of Scalefour News and the Digest on CD when you join and joining now will take you through to March 2011. It's easy to join just click on this link where you can pay on-line and I'll have your New Member Pack in the post by Monday.

You say that you're based in the Northwest; once I have your actual address I'll be able to put you in touch with your nearest Area Group.

Hoping to be welcoming you to the Scalefour Society very soon,

All the Best
Danny Cockling

Membership Secretary

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 am

The drawings are really nice! I can't see the link to the blog?

Cheers, Nick

Nick Allport
CLAG

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi James,

I think Scalefour News is worth the membership fee on its own. IMHO it is quite the best model railway magazine available at the moment, concentrating on the 'how to' element of P4 modelling. However, I also find membership of my local Area Group stimulating. We meet monthly near Preston and I always return from those meetings with increased enthusiasm for modelling and usually with knowledge and tips that I didn't know before the meeting.

Come on in! The water's lovely! :D

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:14 pm

JackBlack wrote:The drawings are really nice! I can't see the link to the blog?

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick,

This is James' Blog on RMWeb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... workbench/

It's well worth subscribing to, and if you read back through it you'll see how he first got on with P4.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

James Hilton

Postby James Hilton » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:45 pm

Thanks Flymo! and thanks guys for the helpful encouragement and advice! I'm hoping to give this a proper whirl during 2010 - with my latest project needing rolling stock and a point :) a chance to try some new skills (point construction - and I'm guessing some kind of wagon compensation.

For the minute I seem to just be happy scribbling away quietly to myself...

jameshilton

Postby jameshilton » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:28 pm

My two P4 projects are still moving along you'll all be pleased to hear - and my membership to the society is a post birthday treat so I'll be joining up in August with luck :)

A snap of how I'm getting on, a kit built Judith Edge Sentinel, and a heavily re-worked Hornby Pacer.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:08 am

jameshilton wrote:My two P4 projects are still moving along you'll all be pleased to hear - and my membership to the society is a post birthday treat so I'll be joining up in August with luck :)

A snap of how I'm getting on, a kit built Judith Edge Sentinel, and a heavily re-worked Hornby Pacer.

Hi James,

Very nice :-)

I've also been following these over on RMWeb, and I'm really impressed by both the quality and speed of you putting the Sentinel together. Really nice work :-)

And you're joining the Society in time for Scaleforum, so that's a couple of quid saved as well, if you can make it to Leatherhead to see us.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:23 pm

James,

That is a good bit of work there - very neat and clearly once it has been dirtied up it will be very atmospheric!

Mark
Mark Tatlow

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Jeeez James

That pacer is a bit bright isnt it? Love the little shunter.

I noticed on RMweb that you used Halfords plastic primer on it - how well does it stick to brass?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Return to “Guest Book”