Halifax King Cross (1 of 10)
Presented by Steve Hall
Halifax King Cross represents a first attempt at building a P4 layout and took ten years to reach completion. The model is based on the Halifax High Level Railway, which was a short branch line opened in 1890 to carry coal and goods traffic to the higher regions of Halifax.
The cost of construction of the HHLR was far greater than anticipated and as a result the line terminated at St Paul’s station somewhat short of the intended terminus, which would have been in the district known as King Cross. The model depicts what the station might have been like if the funds had not run out.
The line was operated jointly by the Great Northern and the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway companies. The passenger service was withdrawn in 1917 due to competition from the 3’ 6” gauge Halifax Electric Tramway, but goods traffic continued until 1960 when the line finally closed. The model depicts the line’s final year of operation and the aim is to represent a typical urban West Riding scene. Special features include working point rodding and facing point locks, working loco and wagon turntables, operating signals and block bells.