Download the guide (PDF)
Stoke Mandeville Stadium,
Saturday September 23rd:
10.30am to 5.30pm
Sunday September 24th:
10.00am to 4.30pm
Tickets £9, Members £6
Join on the day to get the discount.
Good for both days, spouse/partner admitted free.
A feature of several of the layouts on display this year is that the progress of their construction has been described on the Society’s web forum so Scaleforum will give an opportunity to see in the flesh what so far has only been seen on a computer screen. Some layouts will be substantially complete – finished even, whist others are at various stages of construction and allow the visitor to see the techniques used.
- Brettell Road
- by Jim Smith-Wright
- Industrial byway in the West Midlands (Forum thread).
- by Tim Venton
- Model of the station of that name station on the Great Western branch between Bristol and Frome.
- by Rob Ward
- The model represents Danby station on the North Eastern Railway single track Esk Valley branch line in North Yorkshire.
- Dewsbury Great Northern
- by Geoff Tiffany, Brian Eves and Dave Carter
- Dewsbury Great Northern is based on a real location in the Yorkshire town of that name which in pre Grouping days boasted no less than four stations.
- by Martin Nield
- Eccleston is a work of fiction even though it is a real place and features the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in all its glory.
- Enigma Engineering
- by Paul Gittins
- A small shunting puzzle layout where visitors can try their hand at solving the problems.
- Great Barfield
- by David Hawkins
- Great Eastern byway located on a fictitious extension to the Colne Valley and Halstead Railway in Essex.
- by John Stocks
- A ‘what might have been’ had the 1880 Skipton and Kettlewell Railway Act been implemented and a first attempt at working to P4 standards.
- Mount Woodville Works
- by Rob Milliken
- Mount Woodville Works is set in the mid 1960's and represents a works producing salt glazed goods and fire bricks (Forum thread).
- by Howard Bolton
- Minories is the terminus of a short branch off the East London Railway, one of a number of interesting but not well known railway byways in the city. One of the most interesting features of the layout is the fully interlocked lever frame situated at the front of the layout where its operation can be seen by the visitor.
Also on available will be the DRAG test track.
Neversay: In a change from the published guide, Neversay will not be at the show this year. It has been rescheduled for 2018.
Show and Tell - The demonstrations
The demonstrations and help desks at Scaleforum are an essential part of what the exhibition is all about and this year we have will have a special focus on the finishing touches. Finishing off a model or a layout requires a range of different skills to those needed for building and we are delighted to welcome to Scaleforum three expert practioners of aspects of finishing.
- Painting and lining
- Ian Rathbone
- Backscenes and dioramas
- Paul Bambrick
- The Weathering Service
- Jack Chalkley
- Getting started in P4
- Mike Ainsworth
- Loco construction
- Steve Duckworth
- Modelling the Diesel and Electric era
- Tom Silsbury and Jonathan Buckie
- Scratch building the APT and HST
- Shane Wilton
- Scratchbuilding aided by using a CNC plotter/cutter
- Jonathan Hall
- The Area Group Demonstration
- Presented by the Wealden Area Group
- The Wealden Area Group will be demonstrating various aspects of scenic modelling on the group’s new layout, Chart Sutton which features the South Eastern and Chatham Railway.
- Missenden Abbey
- As a change from the usual publicity stand, this year we welcome Missenden stalwarts David Brandreth and Andrew Eaton who will be demonstrating some of the techniques that are included in the courses and showing some of their personal model making.
Exhibition Bus Service
We will be running a dedicated bus service from Aylesbury Rail Station throughout the exhibition. The £3 fare is payable on arrival at the stadium, and includes the return trip.
Full details, timetable and other transport options.
Bring and Buy
The bring and buy will be running during the show.