How can a chain securing link be made?

andrewnummelin

How can a chain securing link be made?

Postby andrewnummelin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:12 pm

One of the things I have to sort out in my lockdown challenge is how to make the link at the base of the stanchions on a bogie bolster wagon - the load securing chains would be attached to this link. From the drawing I have I estimate that the link is one and a quarter to one and a half inches in diameter, so using 0.45mm wire would seem appropriate. Forming the basic shape will not be easy, but I think (hope) I can do it. However, how can I "forge" the holes to take the securing bolt?
stanchion support.jpg
stanchion support.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

This version has a nut and bolt with the nut secured by a split pin but the wagon I'm modelling has a plain pin secured by a 5/8" cotter up against a 3/8" washer. The pin (or bolt in the photo) appears to have the same diameter as the link. Needless to say I have no intention of modelling a cotter, or proper nut and bolt, I'll settle for a plain pin, or piece of wire, secured at one end with a tiny bit of epoxy. I'll also ignore the fine chain attached to the stanchion itself - presumably on the prototype this was to ensure the stanchions were not easily lost from the wagon when out of their pockets.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

steamraiser

Re: How can a chain securing link be made?

Postby steamraiser » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:17 pm

A big hammer or a smooth jawed vice to flatten the ends of the loop.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Flatten the ends of the wire in the jaws of a pair of pliers, near the hinge, drill the holes then shape the ends.

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Gents,

Apologies for not posting a reply earlier. I had drafted one and thought it had been uploaded but it seems to have joined the bits sacrificed to the carpet god...

Thanks for the suggestions - more or less the way I have made things in the past that were much simpler (like axelguard tie rods). I thought it would be difficult to form the complex shape and then flatten the ends or flatten the ends then form a complex shape with a difficult to determine length. I was hoping for some bright idea that I'd not thought of!

Anyway I had multiple attempts using 0.35mm brass wire and all ended in failure. I think work hardening must have happened because every attempt resulted in a fracture somewhere. However doing something else I found in my odds and ends box some copper wire of around 0.4mm so I thought I'd try simply bending some to see what I could achieve. I ended up making a little jig to bend up the desired shape - a little bit of steel with an entomological pin.
P1030058s.jpg
P1030058s.jpg (129.26 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

The last bit of the loop just needed a final bend.
These were then fixed to the stanchion supports with an entomological pin secured with a drop of glue on the head. This was quite a fiddle as the ends were a bit large and did not always fit properly requiring the holes in the stanchion supports to be opened up. Don't ask how many of the loops were badly formed, broken or lost! Anyway here's the result.
little and large 02z.jpg

I have a feeling that in any future model of this nature I may look at making etched links - wouldn't be the right circular cross section, but might overall be visually better.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 pm

andrewnummelin wrote:I think work hardening must have happened because every attempt resulted in a fracture somewhere.

One way to avoid this is to anneal the brass. This involves heating the metal to to a fairly bright red in a gas flame (a gas cooker will do for small things) and allowing it to cool slowly in air.

andrewnummelin wrote: I found in my odds and ends box some copper wire of around 0.4mm so I thought I'd try simply bending some to see what I could achieve.

Being more malleable, copper is a good choice but again annealing is helpful. For copper heat to a fairly bright rad but copper can then be quenched in water.

Terry Bendall

smardale

Postby smardale » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:52 pm

I make them out of fuse wire, easy to form, easy the flatten, easy to drill.

For less than £2 you can get a card with 5am, 15amp and 30amp fuse wire on...

If your going to be taking your loads on and off regularly and shackling them down, then go for something solid like copper...however if its just fit and forget...

Also, the 5amp fuse wire is great for all those little chains that secure things...like side doors...

This was my first attempt at shackles using fuse wire I cheated and didn't either flatten the ends or even attempt to add the securing bolt...shameless (but no one noticed back then)

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:25 pm

smardale wrote:I make them out of fuse wire, easy to form, easy the flatten, easy to drill....

Thanks, I'd forgotten this option - I ran out of my stock many, many years ago and can't remember when I last saw any in our local shops. I'll probably have to go on-line.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
andrewnummelin wrote:I think work hardening must have happened because every attempt resulted in a fracture somewhere.

One way to avoid this is to anneal the brass. This involves heating the metal to to a fairly bright red in a gas flame (a gas cooker will do for small things) and allowing it to cool slowly in air.

andrewnummelin wrote: I found in my odds and ends box some copper wire of around 0.4mm so I thought I'd try simply bending some to see what I could achieve.

Being more malleable, copper is a good choice but again annealing is helpful. For copper heat to a fairly bright rad but copper can then be quenched in water.

Terry Bendall

Have done this before but the trouble is that we now live in an area without gas... (an RSU might do the the job on wire but control can be a problem, or is it give up on the crème brûlée and use the chef's torch?).
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:54 pm

There is a very useful bending template attached to one of the plastic bolster kits, which gives a creditable and above all uniform shape. They are good for a surprisingly large number of loops considering they are softish polystyrene. I'm sorry that I can't remember the kit concerned, but I am pretty sure it was from the Cambrian range and maybe this will jog a memory that is still in full working order.

Tony

smardale

Postby smardale » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:29 am

andrewnummelin wrote:
smardale wrote:I make them out of fuse wire, easy to form, easy the flatten, easy to drill....

Thanks, I'd forgotten this option - I ran out of my stock many, many years ago and can't remember when I last saw any in our local shops. I'll probably have to go on-line.

...try ebay (loads of choice and yours for under £2)

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm

I purchased some on a card not that long ago in Wicks.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Tony Wilkins wrote:I purchased some on a card not that long ago in Wicks.

Still a current Wickes product at £ 1,50 a card of the three sizes https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Fuse-Wire---Pack-of-3/p/710136

Return to “Wagons”