CRAG Meeting 10 January 2019

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAG Meeting 10 January 2019

Postby SteamAle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 pm

A new year and a new venue for our first meeting. My house in Carlisle. Until now it had not been feasible to hold it here due to a very active little one but as she is at school and we can put her into an after school club until six pm we gave it a go. Lunch was at the Crown Inn in Stanwix and from an initial six expected we ended up with 14 sitting down to eat and drink. Merriment all round with good food and real ale to boot.

Finally we managed to return back to my house for a look in both the railway room and the garage. The latter houses an EM model based on Haverthwaite and built by the late Ross Pochin. Those readers of a certain age may well remember seeing articles and photographs in the model press during the late 60's early 1970's. A full article is required to tell the story of how I came to obtain it but the major problem was damage to track caused by where it had been stored. I also discovered that it had been built to 18mm gauge and my modern stock had a few problems!

The railway room houses a layout, down one side, that belonged to the late Bill Shillcock and was based on Linthwaite, again built to 18mm gauge.
The other side has baseboards for an O gauge model based on Wilkinsons Wagon Works in West Cumbria.
Just in case you wondered I do own one locomotive in S4 along with several goods wagons. There are two kits siting on the shelf which I hope one day to build for a small S4 layout!
I was honoured that both Chris Pendlenton and Bob Hetherington managed to attend along with the usual Cragies.
One thing I forgot was to take some photographs of everybody.

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”