Accurascale PCA

Jeremy Good

Accurascale PCA

Postby Jeremy Good » Thu May 30, 2019 11:17 am

Has anyone had any experience of converting these to P4?

Just wondering if it is a reasonably straightforward exercise - their Hoppers seemed to be reasonably P4 friendly.

Thanks

Jeremy

Terry Bendall

Re: Accurascale PCA

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu May 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Not done one but the Accurascale models are designed to take wheels to P4 standards without and cutting or filing involved or making the bearings deeper.

Terry Bendall

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri May 31, 2019 10:34 am

The hoppers use a short axle (25mm) which is a nuisance although some folk don't seem bothered by the splayed axleguards when standard wheelsets are fitted. I thought this looked very odd so did a lot of hacking to fit springs and restore squareness. Not my definition of easily convertible although I do have a more reliable wagon as a result.

They may have used shallower cones to avoid digging too deeply into the back of the Timken axleboxes so the PCAs could well be the same.

DaveB

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri May 31, 2019 12:29 pm

davebradwell wrote:The hoppers use a short axle (25mm) which is a nuisance although some folk don't seem bothered by the splayed axleguards when standard wheelsets are fitted. I thought this looked very odd so did a lot of hacking to fit springs and restore squareness. Not my definition of easily convertible although I do have a more reliable wagon as a result.

They may have used shallower cones to avoid digging too deeply into the back of the Timken axleboxes so the PCAs could well be the same.

DaveB

They were meant to be the 'correct' length, and thus allow easy P4/EM conversions, but there was a problem with the factory which lead to the shorter axles and by then it was too late to change, future batch and models will likely have this resolved now tehy're aware of what the factory did.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri May 31, 2019 7:36 pm

Is that a definite "maybe" then?

DaveB

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:48 am

davebradwell wrote:Is that a definite "maybe" then?

DaveB

Possibly! :P

Phil

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:09 am

I’ve ordered a pack of these now so I’ll be able to answer my own question in a few days, unless someone who’s done the conversion tells us first!!

There are some P4 ones on the RMWeb thread and no comment was made about it being a difficult job, so fingers crossed!

Jeremy

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:40 pm

The customer service is as good as their products. I sent an email on yesterday (Sunday) asking if they sell the HOP24s singly (they don't). I'd hoped for a reply maybe by the time I got back home tonight, but back it came pretty well immediately. Not like a model railway supplier at all, really.

Tony

kelly

Postby kelly » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:03 pm

tmcsean wrote:The customer service is as good as their products. I sent an email on yesterday (Sunday) asking if they sell the HOP24s singly (they don't). I'd hoped for a reply maybe by the time I got back home tonight, but back it came pretty well immediately. Not like a model railway supplier at all, really.

Tony

They are indeed very friendly and helpful. They've also I have noticed been very professional with not allowing themselves to be drawn into discussions about rival products to their 92.

I'm looking forward to their upcoming 92s and pfas. I expect there'll be more to come with hiring Gareth bayer recently. But for now the focus is mk5 and 92 and pfa.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Return to “Wagons”