Fylde Area Group (October 2018)

Moderator: mike_t_norris

mike_t_norris

Fylde Area Group (October 2018)

Postby mike_t_norris » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

The October meeting was a combined meeting between the Craven and Ribble EM Gauge group and the Fylde Scalefour Group. The Fylde Group had 6 members in attendance.

Again a fine mix of topics, along with a couple of layouts, which were The Mill and Threescore Vale. The demonstrations including Signal Construction, Progress on Muirhaven, Making trees, a MERG stand, Narrow Gauge Modelling, Modern Image Rolling Stock and yours truly providing Locomotive Construction. A number of photographs follow.

The event was well received by all those who attended, our thanks go to Neville Pearson and Karl Crowther who organised the day. Also thanks must go the catering department Aldwith and the team for providing and excellent lunch again another excellent event – Well Done!

The next meeting of the group at the Preston layout will be on Thursday 15th November at 7:30 pm for 8:00pm and is a ‘Run and Natter’ session, details from myself via the ‘Blue Sheet’.

PLEASE NOTE – the 6th December meeting ‘Hotpot Supper’ will need to be booked and paid for at this meeting.

DSC06423.JPG

DSC06421.JPG

DSC06420.JPG

DSC06417.JPG

Lindsay G

Re: Fylde Area Group (October 2018)

Postby Lindsay G » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:44 am

Looked an interesting meeting. Any further info on the contents of the first image with the train sitting on a high viaduct? One of the EM offerings or P4?
Cheers,

Lindsay

mike_t_norris

Postby mike_t_norris » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am

Hello Lindsay,

The viaduct is Glen Mooar Viaduct, on the Manx Railway, which I think is on the stretch from Peel to Ramsey.

The display was built by Alan Catlow who works and has written a number of articles on modelling Manx Railways, unfortunately he was ill on the day so sent it via a deputy.
There is also a Manx Electric car in the foreground, lovely models, and built EM, although the gauge is actually 3' 0.

James Moorhouse

Postby James Moorhouse » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Mike,

The last image in your post is intriguing. I'd be interested in seeing a close-up of your wheel testing set-up and the information on that piece of paper in the foreground. What tolerances have you set for wheel wobble and eccentricity?

mike_t_norris

Postby mike_t_norris » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Dear James,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, it's been a busy few weeks with one thing and another!

I am surprised you managed to work out what it was from the photo, but basically it is a development of the article by Geoff Helliwell in SN 209 p.9 and maybe once I have progressed things to be able to solve some of the problems it might make an article. The piece of paper is just a CAD drawing so that I could get the dimensions right before I made it and check all the configurations.

As per Geoff I have had problems with locos and particularly a Crab and several tenders; that although they run fine (even on my layout!) they were rocking and rolling, so I was looking for something to be able to identify the wheel(s) causing the problems and quantify the issue. Which this jig does; it will take inside bearing wheels (i.e. tender), pin point axles and centre drilled axles, (i.e. nearly all driving wheels). The jig allows the this to be done once the axles are assembled including the gear box, so can be used on an engine that has been in service without having to dismantle the axle. (I make all my wheel sets so that they can be dropped out complete with the bearings).

So what am I measuring - the jig will measure wobble (i.e. perpendicular to the axle - or lack of) and concentricity, as for wobble, once the wheel is in the jig that is easy to see by eye, it is the concentricity which is the major problem, especially on locos with a long running overhanging running plate and not as easy to see. How to solve it; that I am still working on - had a long talk with Chris Penlenton at Scaleforum on this point, but I have some ideas although not tested yet. This problem does not just affect Gibson wheels, I have some Sharmans with the problem, and it may be my hamfistedness getting them on the axles so more investigation is needed, again I have some ideas. But at least I can measure my success now!

As for tollerances 1/10 mm seems acceptable in concentricity 2/10 mm as a max, for wobble I seem to have been able to correct this to similar levels.

If you are still interested I can take some photos next week.

Return to “Fylde”