The Christmas Model Railway Show - Manchester 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
ralphrobertson

The Christmas Model Railway Show - Manchester 2018

Postby ralphrobertson » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm

The annual Manchester show is taking place on the 1st and 2nd December at the Barnes Wallis Building close to Manchester Piccadilly Station in Manchester. Opening times are 10:00-17:30 on Saturday and 10:00 to 16:30 on Sunday. Ticket prices are £9 and up to 3 children are free with each adult. Advance tickets are available via the website at http://www.mmrs.co.uk.

We have some great layouts there this year:

Addison Park, a finescale 3mm layout set in London
Ambleton Vale an N Gauge layout
Arcadia Pennsylvania an 0 gauge American layout
Arun Quay from Gordon Gravett, always worth studying for the excellent modelling
Barton Road, an embryo layout from Manchester club
Black Lion Crossing, the latest Geoff Kent layout with some fantastic modelling
Danny at the Zoo, something for the kids to play on
Deansmoor a modern era N gauge layout
Dufton Road a nice 00 layout
Fort Whiting a South African 00n9 layout
Hallam Town a finescale 2mm layout
Hounslow Sidings a small 00 layout set in London
North Ballachulish an EM layout set in the West Highlands of Scotland
Oakhurst Town an S7 layout
Pwllheli an 18.83 modern era layout in Wales
Readham another modern era 00 layout
Somewhere in France, a WW1 layout in 00n9
Tarring Neville an 00 layout from the 1960s
Zauberwaldbahn an 0e layout set in East Germany

Something for everyone's tastes and there is also full trade support and the usual refreshments available in the venue's cafe and restaurant.

With the opportunity to see Gordon Gravett and Geoff Kent with their layouts at the same show it has to be a show not to miss.

Terry Bendall

Re: The Christmas Model Railway Show - Manchester 2018

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 am

The Society stand will also be present. :)

ralphrobertson wrote:With the opportunity to see Gordon Gravett and Geoff Kent with their layouts at the same show it has to be a show not to miss.

I have not seen Black Lion Crossing but Arun Quay is superb and captures the location perfectly. Well worth the journey for that alone.

Terry Bendall

John Donnelly

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:I have not seen Black Lion Crossing

I was lucky enough to see it at Roy Jackson's a few months ago and it is stunning...

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:39 pm

I have seen Black Lion Crossing twice now and the atmosphere on that layout is stunning. Superb buildings and lineside features not to mention the handbuilt stock that Geoff runs.

Also it is looking likely that my model of Alpha Mill will be making its presence felt in the display cabinet in Room 1 this year.

Ralph

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Black Lion Crossing is an awesome layout - based on the Wrexham area where I spent alot of my childhood and student days so know the prototypes well.

If you go to the exhibition, it's worth spending alot of time at this layout, it's well worth seeing and highly recommended viewing.

Gareth
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions

Member of the Barrowmore Model Railway Group
Diesel Crank

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 pm

garethevans1986 wrote:Black Lion Crossing is an awesome layout - based on the Wrexham area where I spent alot of my childhood and student days so know the prototypes well.

If you go to the exhibition, it's worth spending alot of time at this layout, it's well worth seeing and highly recommended viewing.

Gareth

Completely agree. I'm a Wrexhamian and spent the first 20 years of my life there. I used to work across the road from the real pub in Brook St. and recognised it even when Geoff was just starting the embossed gable end. Lots of other structures very recognisable from around the area - and look out for the bus named after Frank Davies from the Shipley club - and me!

Return to “Exhibitions”