Funky 3 way

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
jim s-w

Funky 3 way

Postby jim s-w » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Found this picture of an unusual 3 way at lifford.

B12464F4-691F-450C-81D4-0B12C1376B79.jpeg

Building it wouldn’t be too difficult but how would you attach the blades to point motors? My thought would be to switch from the other end via a pivot.

Thoughts?

garethashenden

Re: Funky 3 way

Postby garethashenden » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:08 pm

I may be completely off here.
The whole thing has four switch blades right? Two long ones and two short ones? I think that attaching one long blade and the opposite short blade to the same tiebar would work. I can’t see any other way of doing it unless you have four individually controlled blades, but there are only two levers on the lever frame, so I don’t think that’s how it was done.

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Indeed that is correct, the problem for modelling is getting a satisfactory connection to the short blade that does not obstruct the long blade.
Tony Wilkins has two sets on Green St but I don't know how he did his, I have one set but it does give me trouble and really needs a better arrangement.
The real thing generally has the tiebar from the short blade passing through a hole in the web of the long blade. Could be worth a try if you are good at tiny things. :)
The set a Lifford would be a standard Midland design, photos show them with lots of different curvatures to the roads.
The original P4 society templates included two versions.
Regards

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:46 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Indeed that is correct, the problem for modelling is getting a satisfactory connection to the short blade that does not obstruct the long blade.

That's exactly it Keith

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:12 am

It is effectively a curved 3 throw turnout, Martin has a useful drawing on the Templot page:

http://templot.com/companion/3_way_tandem_turnouts.php

While he says it will be forthcoming in Templot, a way to work it isn't mentioned!

Any good ideas would be useful, as one of my potential future options is based on Barnoldswick. This either means making one work or substituting it for a tandem turnout which would be (I suspect) easier, and more applicable to future future options I have in mind...

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/ba ... ex14.shtml

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/ba ... ex15.shtml

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Built a straight one on Forge Mill Sidings. On the real thing the tie bar goes through a hole in the switch blade. There's one at Butterley.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings, Kirkcliffe Coking Plant, Swanage and Heaby. Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Track and Turnouts”