Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
chrisf

Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Postby chrisf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Yes, you read that correctly. As a "reward" for a couple of inopportune comments about aspects of the 2018 social fringe, I have been tasked with looking into eating and drinking facilities - pubs, restaurants etc - which would be good places to go on the Friday and Saturday nights of the 2019 Scaleforum. We all have such diverse tastes that with any luck it will turn out to be a long list. It is the intention that the list will be published in Scalefour News and on this forum in good time for September 2019.

When I reviewed Scaleforum 2013 for Scalefour News I was given to understand that a list of refreshment outlets was issued to traders and exhibitors. That is fine as far as it goes but paying customers need to eat, drink and be merry too! Does that list still exist? If it does, I would be grateful for a sight of it, if only to compare it with the present situation. At the same time I need and will be grateful for recommendations of good places from satisfied customers as well as warnings of establishments which should not be touched with a bargepole. I do hope that the lists are not identical.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help!

Chris

David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Scaleforum 2019 - the social side

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm

As I live in Aylesbury, some places can be good one year then after a change of landlord are not too good while other places get better. Normally the Hop Pole is always good as is the Kings Head and the Millwrights is better than it was a few years ago. The Broad Leys, The Bell and Woolpack at Stoke Mandeville are good but more restaurant based. Curry Houses do vary and I have only tried one Chinese the China Brassiere in Fairford Leys which is rather nice.

David

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 pm

A good starting point can be found at https://www.visitaylesbury.co.uk/eat-drink/.

chrisf wrote:Does that list still exist?

Yes it does and it is based on the above web site. It is now a bit dated but I will send it to you in a PM.

Terry Bendall

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am

David and Terry, many thanks to you both. We have a good foundation on which to base a new guide.

Thr next step is to solicit recommendations. It will help me greatly if anyone who has eaten or imbibed in and around Aylesbury in the past couple of years could post details, both of good places and of establishments which they would not consider revisiting. This is where we discover just how diverse our tastes are! I do not propose to publish the names of informants so you may speak freely!

Chris

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm

This post is by way of a bump. Much as I would love to investigate the fleshpots of Aylesbury single-handed, at my age one must be realistic. I need therefore to repeat my request for recommendations, both positive and negative, of places to eat, drink and be merry in and around Aylesbury to help me compile the list that I have been asked to produce. I do hope that it is not too much to ask.

Chris

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi Chris

what I may recommend now may not be on my recommended list by September next year, plus new places open landlords change etc. I do produce a list for Railex each year which I update before posting out.

David

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:09 am

David,
You make a valid point about change, but Chris would be able to produce a better listing if it were populated with members' experience of venues over the last few years.

Your pre-Railex list could then usefully refer to Chris's publication; with updating references where management reputation changes have occurred.
Alternatively, keep Chris abreast of any discovered changes as they occur.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 pm

chrisf wrote:This post is by way of a bump. Much as I would love to investigate the fleshpots of Aylesbury single-handed, at my age one must be realistic. I need therefore to repeat my request for recommendations, both positive and negative, of places to eat, drink and be merry in and around Aylesbury to help me compile the list that I have been asked to produce. I do hope that it is not too much to ask.

Chris

My favourite watering hole in Aylesbury is THE KING'S HEAD, just off the Market Square. It dates from the 15th Century and the freehold is owned by the National Trust. It is leased to Chiltern Brewery, an independent brewer that produces a range of really excellent real ales.

The Farmer's Bar is a very pleasant venue, entirely free of muzak, juke boxes, gaming machines, etc.

They also do good food.

I have had no experience of other pubs in Aylesbury, but one or two might perhaps be worth a try (e.g. The Queen's Head, just round the corner in Temple Street, facing onto Temple Square).

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Martin, many thanks for your contribution - duly noted.

Les, thank you for your thoughts. I was indeed hoping for the experiences of members and we have now made a useful start.

David, I take your point. Any list can only be a snapshot in time for the reasons that you give. Can we work together, do you think? A good starting point might be for me to collate the information that I have, produce a list from it, send it to you, wait till you've stopped laughing and take it from there!

Chris

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Chris,
For a meal I can recommend the The Seven Stars in Dinton a few miles outside Aylesbury http://www.sevenstarsdinton.com
Rod

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:54 am

Rod

Not one I know. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chris

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:28 pm

A couple of years ago, I visited the Hop Pole on Bicester Road, good grub and excellent beer.

Phil

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 pm

newport_rod wrote:Chris,
For a meal I can recommend the The Seven Stars in Dinton a few miles outside Aylesbury http://www.sevenstarsdinton.com
Rod

I had Sunday lunch at the Seven Stars this week. Very good food. Reasonable prices. Highly recommended, but I don't know what's on offer on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Booking a table is probably advisable. It seems to be very popular.

Return to “Exhibitions”