Ulpha Light Railway

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Armchair Modeller

Re: The Ulpha Light Railway

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:43 pm

I have recently fitted the 'shelf' for the narrow gauge fiddle yard

Ulph094.jpg

I have mainly been busy with miniature brass origami, folding all the chairs for the remaining replacement pointwork on Ulpha.

Ulph095.jpg

Ulph096.jpg

Glad that's all over!

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm

For Heaven's sake don't drop the box!!

Steve

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:36 pm

steve howe wrote:For Heaven's sake don't drop the box!!

Steve

Thanks for the concern - the box has a secure lid though, so all should be safe. ;)

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm

I made a few final and very minor adjustments to the track plan this weekend in Templot, such that I am now very happy. The plan was printed out. The sheets for the central scenic board have now been stuck to 2mm MDF using contact adhesive. After a bit of trimming, the montage was placed over the baseboard to see how it would look. Spot on for what I intended, I think! The only change will be to slightly adjust the line of the goods siding (bottom right) so it lines up better with the existing buffer stop. I can do this when I lay the track, which will be flexible track - no need to adjust the Templot plan any further.

Ulph097.jpg

On the left hand side, the overall trackbed is slightly narrower than before to take it slightly further away from the quarry wall. You can just see the line of the existing track sticking out beyond it at top left. Apart from the waggonway track, everything will still closely resemble how it was originally though - including interlaced sleepers on the turnouts.

I have also tested the new track plan for the third board with the trestle to make sure that has sufficient clearance. Everything seems fine there too.

Next, I shall strip the existing track from the central scenic board ready for sticking the new trackbed down.

Armchair Modeller

Re: Ulpha Light Railway

Postby Armchair Modeller » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 pm

It has been a long time since I did any railway modelling. Things like house improvements and much extra time spent with my dear old mum (now nearly 93) have very much taken priority - and things are likely to continue that way for the foreseeable future. The long, dark nights are rapidly approaching though, so I should be able to squeeze in a little modelling over the Autumn and the Winter. My 2mm layout, Burghmire has to be the priority as it is supposed to be finished by the latter part of June next year.

In P4, I think I can find the time to do a bit more track replacement on Ulpha. I got hold of a copy of 'Early Railways, A Guide For the Modeller' a few months back, which has given me one or two very interesting ideas for the waggonway trackwork. I am not sure it will work in P4, but one that caught my eye is a sliding stub turnout on p47 which can serve as a simple double slip. I have a fascination for archaic trackwork, so this one is right up my street (track?)

Ulph098.jpg
Ulph098.jpg (41.55 KiB) Viewed 245 times

The two pairs of parallel rails are hinged near the bottom of the diagram. By lining them up to the left, centre or right at the top, they give various options for routes through the formation, equivalent to a double slip. I messed around a bit in Templot and came up with a location for one on Ulpha. The plan is to build one off the layout and thoroughly test it.I shall use it on Ulpha. If I can get it to work reliably it can be a still-used remnant from the early waggonway days. Presumably, it was way too expensive to replace it with a double slip. If it doesn't work well, I can simply install it somewhere in the undergrowth - disused and unloved. Not a lot of work, but I suspect a lot of thinking will be involved!

Plans for stock building and other stuff will just have to be abandoned for the time being.

More in due course, I hope!

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:49 am

Neil Kinison has a working stub point on his P4 layout Edford.

Gordon A

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:04 pm

steamraiser wrote:Neil Kinison has a working stub point on his P4 layout Edford.

Gordon A

Thanks, Gordon. I am sure it is possible to get something like this to work - more that my bodging may not be up to the standards required ;)

Return to “Layouts and Operations”