1P 0-4-4T chassis by Rumney

MarkS

1P 0-4-4T chassis by Rumney

Postby MarkS » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:04 am

This saga started back last century when I acquired a fully built Craftsman 1P 0-4-4T (in OO) with the idea that I could turn it into a P4, blue S&D version... That turned out to involve too much work, so I put it away for another day.
A couple of years ago I pulled it out and added some detail, and painted the body - still a 1P that ran on the S&D, but in LMS black with red lining.

P1050601.JPG
P1050601.JPG (264.54 KiB) Viewed 530 times

I thought about rebuilding the original chassis (silk purse, pigs ear comes to mind) and was about to start a chassis from scratch when that nice Mr. Newitt announced he had a produced P4 sprung chassis for this kit.
Serendipity, and my order went out across the ether... A week or so later a package arrived here in Canada.

This shows the difference 40 years makes (Original Craftsman chassis side - lower), although for this photo I had only folded up the chassis to check clearances in the body. (Filing of the body will be required :() The new chassis has overlays which are attached later in the build.

P1050599.JPG
P1050599.JPG (302.09 KiB) Viewed 530 times

My initial impressions are very good, the nickel silver etches are excellent, the instructions have a couple of minor errors, but there are photos which help clarify things. http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/LMS_1P_Chassis_Instructions_-_Craftsman_Version.pdf

I would suggest that you don't start with a finished, painted body like I have, especially if you want to correct the cab interior - There will be more work involved trying not to ruin the paint.
More to come...
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Serjt-Dave

Re: 1P 0-4-4T chassis by Rumney

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:08 am

Hi Mark. I too rejoiced when I found out that Justin was going to do a 1P chassis and quickly ordered two of them. I picked them up at the Scale North show. Looking forwards to starting them and looking forward to see how you get on with yours.

All Best

Dave

Le Corbusier

Re: 1P 0-4-4T chassis by Rumney

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:04 am

I shall also be watching this with interest as I picked up an unbuilt Craftsman 1P for the kit cupboard off e-bay a few months back.

Tim
Tim Lee

Return to “MarkS”