Replacement of Dapol Chassis

myoxall

Replacement of Dapol Chassis

Postby myoxall » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 pm

I have tried to search for suitable replacement etched chassis kits to replace existing Dapol 10 foot and 11 foot chassis' in order to upgrade two Smallbrook Studio kits. Firstly the LSWR 10 Ton Road Van rebuilt into an 8 Ton Van by the SR (10 Ft wheelbase). Secondly the LBSCR 6 & 10 Ton Cattle Wagon, SR Diagram 1527 and 1528 (11 foot wheelbase). This will be my first attempt at converting any wagon to P4, and add detailing, so any advice would be helpful. Has anyone done this before? If so can advice/guidance be given regarding selection of a suitable replacement chassis kit. I am quite happy with the Van bodies and will be able to add appropriate detailing; Ideally I need to replace the whole of the chassis, including W irons, springs and axle boxes, brake gear and wheels. I cannot find a supplier for either LSBCR or LSWR axle boxes, maybe there isn't one! As said before, any help or advice would be a boon.

Martin

jim s-w

Re: Replacement of Dapol Chassis

Postby jim s-w » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Just built it with p4 wheels. It will work provided it’s square.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Martin,
have you tried Cambrian for chassis kits? Not etched admittedly, but might be suitable.

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/wagon_kits_4mm.html
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 pm

D&S Models used to supply LBSC oil axleboxes, but I fear these may now be hard to come by. Adrian Swain's Four Most Models series included w/m castings of LBSC axleguards, springs and axleboxes. He also supplied various LSW axleguards, again as w/m castings, some (most? all?) via the South Western Circle. Unfortunately, the Circle appears to have ceased to supply components and become a publication seller only. W/m castings of LSW springs and oilboxes used to be available from the EM Gauge Society, which may still be able to provide these.

In short, excellent quality patterns of the springs and axleboxes you seem likely to need have been made, but whether castings made from those patterns are now readily available is more doubtful.

myoxall

Postby myoxall » Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am

Thank you Mark and John for your replies. I will follow your suggestions to see where they lead, fingers crossed :thumb I have been advised to try E B Models and 5 and 9 Models for LBSCR items, which I will try later today. LSWR continues to draw a blank, never mind, something will turn up :!:

Martin

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 am

Would these be any good: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZEQBFJ92V/lswr-panter-axlebox-x24?optionId=62811142? Disclosure: my product, sold for a (tiny) profit.

You can get springs, without axleboxes, from MJT, in whitemetal. Or I could be persuaded to re-draw the Panter boxes complete with springs and shoes, but that might take a while to complete.

myoxall

Postby myoxall » Tue May 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks Guy, Exactly the axle boxes I was looking for :D . Order placed :thumb

Martin

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm

John Palmer wrote:D&S Models used to supply LBSC oil axleboxes, but I fear these may now be hard to come by. Adrian Swain's Four Most Models series included w/m castings of LBSC axleguards, springs and axleboxes. He also supplied various LSW axleguards, again as w/m castings, some (most? all?) via the South Western Circle. Unfortunately, the Circle appears to have ceased to supply components and become a publication seller only. W/m castings of LSW springs and oilboxes used to be available from the EM Gauge Society, which may still be able to provide these.

Having just checked online (I'm an EMGS members), I'm afraid that they no longer list an LSWR axlebox in their stores.

Sorry for the bearing of bad news.
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

myoxall

Postby myoxall » Tue May 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Thanks Paul, saved me a bit of a wasted journey there. :)

Martin

Return to “Wagons”