Bristol Barrow Road

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
barrowroad

Re: Bristol Barrow Road

Postby barrowroad » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Dave, Thank you but it does help that it has pick ups on the tender as well as the normal on the drivers.

Robin

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:57 am

Robin - that is wonderful running at slow speed! Could I ask what motor and gear ratio you have there?

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Hornby don’t say what their gear ratios are but I imagine it could be worked out. I’ve often wondered as I do a conversion, but I doubt the ratio will be more than 30:1 or maybe 35:1. There is a big can motor in a Black Five and Hornby's motors turn over pretty slowly.

Philip

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Julian,

The motor and gearbox are Hornby as supplied in the loco. The short answer is I don't know the ratio but Philip is probably right.

Robin

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 am

Thanks Robin and Phil. The Hornby mechanism is impressive! I've looked quickly right through the thread - fabulous :thumb ; I can't see anywhere what kind of controller you have, and whether it is something that gives enhanced slow speed control, or DCC for example.

You mention you had 4-6-0 problems on curves and that you got Masokits etches for the Black 5 bogie. I take it the modification has been successful, is that something you're doing for other 4-6-0s?
Last edited by Julian Roberts on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:47 am

Julian,

Most RTR engines will do that these days with a half decent controller, DCC or DC. Occasionally you get a real cracker, like my Hornby 700 and Bachmann Dukedog, both of which have three pole motors! The Hornby T9, like the Black Five, has a five pole job, and I could hardly better it with one of my own.

It seems to prove Dave Bradwell’s assertion elsewhere in these pages that high gear ratios are often not necessary, although I do like them for shunters.

Philip

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi Julian,

Bristol Barrow Road is DCC and is operated with NCE equipment. I have the 5amp command unit with Procab handheld units.
The Black 5 is the only loco I have which uses Masokits front bogies but I have several other sets of them to use on other Hornby Black 5s and maybe Bachmann Jubilees. Barrow Road had a large allocation of the latter.

Robin

Return to “Layouts and Operations”