Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Le Corbusier

Re: Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:14 am

I have had this response from Glynn Waite at the Rowsley Association concerning local ballast trains with particular reference to the Bakewell station photo ....

However, the wagon next to the loco with its doors down is intriguing. It could well have conveyed ballast for the men on the track in the photo. Nowadays shunting with the doors down would be prohibited, but moving a wagon short distances in sidings in that condition would probably have been the norm 100+ years ago. Right up to the closure of Rowsley Shed there was a daily area ballast train which dropped off ballast at various locations for fettling the track.

I have asked for further clarification as to a typical ballast train make up.
Tim Lee

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Tim,

Apologies if you're already aware of this, but I have just been browsing through the Derbyshire Records Office website to find some information for my new Cromford & High Peak project, and an initial search on "railways" produced the following item:

Ref D504/110/4/2. Plan depicting the area of the Putty Hill Mine, situated next to Monsaĺ Dale railway station.

If it's of interest, it is possible to order a copy through the website. The staff there are very helpful.

All the best with your continuing research.

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:19 am

hughesp87 wrote:Ref D504/110/4/2. Plan depicting the area of the Putty Hill Mine, situated next to Monsaĺ Dale railway station.

Geraint,

It is most definitely of interest and no I wasn't aware of its existence.

Much appreciate the steer. :thumb

Thanks

Tim
Tim Lee

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:43 pm

I have not used blackening fluid on metals before. I understand that typically you would apply the fluid to the metal and then when satisfied neutralise the action by rinsing in water? Is it possible to use the fluid insitu on the layout ... without needing to rinse? I would like to try blackening my nickel silver point rodding wire.
Tim Lee

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 pm

You have to rinse to stop the blackening action, otherwise you will get a powdery finish. I often just use a cotton bud dipped in water to dab over something small. If you dab the area dry straight away I doubt whether the water will cause problems.

Alternatively, use an etch marker pen and rinse as above. Be careful with these fluids though, keep them off your skin; sometimes I use thin neoprene gloves. The really safe option is a permanent marker pen.

Philip

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Philip Hall wrote: gloves. The really safe option is a permanent marker pen.

Philip

Thanks for the advice Philip

I tried the permanent marker first but I have found it is rubbing off revealing the silver beneath. I thought blackening might be more robust. The cotton bud sounds like a workable option though. :thumb
Tim Lee

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm

The permanent marker is often a good base for paint to avoid bright metal showing if paintbhas rubbed off. But, as you say, it too can run off!

The one advantage of an etch marker pen is that it will readily blacken solder and is a precise way of blackening. The downside is the cost, around the £30 mark or even more, depending upon where you buy it (I use eBay and usually buy in threes or fours as I get through about two or more a year). Sometimes with the etch pen I use a baby wipe to neutralise. Waitrose Essential wipes are cheapest and the wettest!

Philip

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Philip Hall wrote:The one advantage of an etch marker pen is that it will readily blacken solder and is a precise way of blackening. The downside is the cost, around the £30 mark or even more, depending upon where you buy it (I use eBay and usually buy in threes or fours as I get through about two or more a year). Sometimes with the etch pen I use a baby wipe to neutralise. Waitrose Essential wipes are cheapest and the wettest!

:thumb :thumb :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Starting in P4”