Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Philip Hall

Re: Making a Start - The Peak District Midland / Monsal Dale pre 1903

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. I have always used a tiny drop of retainer, just in the top thread of the nuts, and so far had no problems with the stuff going further down the crankpin. I do make sure there is enough clearance behind the nuts, so that shouldn’t be a cause, but once in a while one fell off, hence I started using retainer.

I had heard about using nail varnish but shellac hadn’t occurred to me, and easy to remove with meths, so will give that a try. I also didn’t think of a burr on the end of the screw; filing the pin flush will of course create such a burr so maybe I should just leave it at that and not clean the burr off.

Some of my engines will be charging around at 70 or thereabouts so I am being cautious. And of course I have no idea of the stresses some of my customers’ engines will be put through, so caution here again...

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:41 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:A quick question on brake rigging. :?: :?: :?:

I want to set it up so that it is demountable to allow the wheels to be dropped in and out.

Is there a thread anywhere which shows the methodology/sequence .... I would be particularly interested in tricks to make sure everything is nice, square and true ..... with tolerances as tight as might be without fouling the wheels or coupling rods.

Tim

Sorry I was a bit slow following up on this. I knew it was out there I just couldn't remember where. Found it now, see this post which goes through removable brake gear in detail. Tolerances on the wheel brakeblock intertface is a problem, I'm afraid practicalities mean you will need to allow rather more space between brake block and wheels than they did on the prototype.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Will L wrote:
Le Corbusier wrote:A quick question on brake rigging. :?: :?: :?:

I want to set it up so that it is demountable to allow the wheels to be dropped in and out.

Is there a thread anywhere which shows the methodology/sequence .... I would be particularly interested in tricks to make sure everything is nice, square and true ..... with tolerances as tight as might be without fouling the wheels or coupling rods.

Tim

Sorry I was a bit slow following up on this. I knew it was out there I just couldn't remember where. Found it now, see this post which goes through removable brake gear in detail. Tolerances on the wheel brakeblock intertface is a problem, I'm afraid practicalities mean you will need to allow rather more space between brake block and wheels than they did on the prototype.

Thanks Will ... a bit after the event now - but will be useful for the future. I will load some pictures of how I have got on in a little while and what I did ... it seems to be working though the accuracy could be a little better :?
Tim Lee

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 pm

A bit of a catch up on where I have got to on the 1F Chassis ....

I decided to bin the Craftsman kit brake etches and in the end the rigging as well .... they were a little crude for my liking. So, given that the frames are Gibson, I think the sandbox castings are all that remains of the original kit for this element :shock: ...Instead I used the Iain Rice brake gear etch for the Jinty -which to my eye was a better match - and some mainly trains rigging I happened to have. I soldered up the brakes using lace pins to simulate the bolt heads and clipped the shank off short at the top pivot to allow me to 'spring' locate it into the frames.

Brake gear components 1 - 2.jpg

I decided to house some capillary tube into the frames at the hanger points into which the lace pin shanks could locate, allowing the gear to be removable for painting and maintenance.

Brake gear components 1 - 5.jpg

The brake gear and rigging was made up on the frames ... firstly soldering in the cross members ... then affixing the pull rods using these to set the position prior to soldering fixed. As part of this I soldered the white metal sand box castings to the frames in as near to the correct position as was possible (Next time I think I will cut my own frames to ensure that everything locates correctly in relation to the other elements). I then soldered a representation of the sanding pipes to the rigging locating them into the base of the sand boxes via a drilled locating hole.

I also made up two sub-assemblies using some scrap etch of wheel springs kindly sent to me by John Redrup at LRM. The first which bolts to one of the cross members on the chassis carries the four rear springs and the representation of the ashpan .... the second bolts to the front member and carries the two front springs.

1f 0-6-0 T _ Brake gear assembled -complete - 4.jpg

This is a photo of everything assembled onto the chassis ... looking at the picture the rear section of pull rods needs tweaking to bring it level, which is easy to do.

1f 0-6-0 T _ Brake gear assembled -complete - 6.jpg

And here are a couple of pictures with the current state of play on the upper bodywork ... the second with Chimney, Dome etc simply dropped on.

1f 0-6-0 T _ Brake gear assembled -complete - 7.jpg

1f 0-6-0 T _ Brake gear assembled -complete - 8.jpg

As usual, the close up photograph is relatively unforgiving ... but overall I am pleased with progress. Its a bit rough here and there, but from viewing distance I think it looks ok :thumb
Last edited by Le Corbusier on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lee

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:38 pm

:thumb looks great Tim. Ambitious standards you've set yourself e.g. detachable this that and the other on the chassis!, and achieved.

Return to “Starting in P4”