Round Tuits

Chris Mitton
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Round Tuits

Postby Chris Mitton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:As for Round Tuits, what we lack is a consistent set of standards for them. As this is the S4Society, surely somebody can work out a specification.
What is the correct unit for a RT? Should they be available in liquid, gaseous or solid (chocolate coated) form? Should they carry a health warning and be regulated by the committee?
Jol

The obvious unit of measurement for Round Tuits is the "mañana". However, when I look at my "workbench" (aka desk in my study) it appears to be full of mañanas and not many RTs - maybe an RT is defined by the number of mañanas endured before it was got round to!

As for format - I find they're very palatable lubricated with IPA. That's IndiaPaleAle not IsoPropylAlcohol......

They are, however, definitely non-breeding. Said workbench currently contains various parts of five locomotives, all of which are definitely "nearing completion", but no sign of the necessary Round Tuits .... any year now!

Just as an illustration, this will probably be the first train to arrive at Stowe Fen, once the latest batch of RTs arrives from C&L and some more track gets built....E4 no. 7492 plus a rake of Danny Pinnock's ex-GER corridors. As you can see, still plenty of work to do, but it will happen one day! 8-)

Regards
Chris

Chris Mitton
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Chris Mitton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Errrr...correction: I don't seem able to post any piccies in this thread! Help!
Chris

User avatar
Flymo748
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Flymo748 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:Errrr...correction: I don't seem able to post any piccies in this thread! Help!
Chris


This is the problem that I had when I tried to update Beer & Buckjumpers.

Go up one level, and restart the thread at the top level of OMWB. That solved/avoided the problem for me.

It must be one of those annoying software glitches.

OTOH, I may have just found one of your missing RTs. I think that I've just about chilled out enough out after work, and I'm going to retire to the workbench with a decent glass of red :-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

User avatar
Flymo748
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Flymo748 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
Chris Mitton wrote:Errrr...correction: I don't seem able to post any piccies in this thread! Help!
Chris


This is the problem that I had when I tried to update Beer & Buckjumpers.

Go up one level, and restart the thread at the top level of OMWB. That solved/avoided the problem for me.

It must be one of those annoying software glitches.


Hmmm... I think that I was wrong. I suspect a browser problem.

Once again I had no success using Firefox, so I switched to IE and that has worked absolutely fine. I did have a try of Chrome to fix the problem a couple of days ago, but just hated the UI. I want to lay out my real estate the way that I want to, not the way that Google thinks that I should!

Chris - what browser were you trying to upload with?

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Chris Mitton
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Chris Mitton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Flymo748 wrote:Hmmm... I think that I was wrong. I suspect a browser problem.

Once again I had no success using Firefox, so I switched to IE and that has worked absolutely fine. I did have a try of Chrome to fix the problem a couple of days ago, but just hated the UI. I want to lay out my real estate the way that I want to, not the way that Google thinks that I should!

Chris - what browser were you trying to upload with?

Cheers
Flymo


....Firefox 19. However, if I go into something like Trains / Chassis, which is another subforum just like this one, I can happily post with attachments - so I suspect this is a problem with Rob inadvertently setting permissions wrongly. I'll email Rob rather than try IE (which I hate with a passion!)

Regards
Chris

User avatar
John McAleely
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby John McAleely » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:40 am

Flymo748 wrote:Go up one level, and restart the thread at the top level of OMWB. That solved/avoided the problem for me.


Avoided, surely? Now 'Another Round' is in the 'on my workbench' section, and not in the 'Flymo748' section. So one of the clues to authorship is 'missing'...

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Will L » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:40 am

Chris Mitton wrote:... - so I suspect this is a problem with Rob inadvertently setting permissions wrongly.


I think that's right, posting attachments is disallowed on personal sub forums but not at the highest level. See the very last line of the forum index page.

Will

User avatar
grovenor-2685
Posts: 3238
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 am

I think that's right, posting attachments is disallowed on personal sub forums but not at the highest level. See the very last line of the forum index page.

What are you referring to here Will? I can't see anything relevant on the index page nor can I find any such restriction in the admin settings. The only place that attachments are not allowed is in PMs. (Which was to avoid having the storage space filled up with private stuff not available to the members).

Whilst looking I did note that there are quite a lot of orphaned attachments, some of which I don't remember seeing in any post. Looks like I need to do another orphan topic.
Regards
Keith

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Will L » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:17 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:What are you referring to here Will? I can't see anything relevant on the index page nor can I find any such restriction in the admin settings.


I have a picture but of course I can't post it here. Lest see, I'll try "Ask the Administrator"

Will

User avatar
Martin Wynne
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Will L wrote:I have a picture but of course I can't post it here. Lest see, I'll try "Ask the Administrator"

Hi Will,

Until the Admin gets this fixed, just post it in some other section (e.g. "ask the Admin"?) and then copy and paste it here by clicking the Img button, like this:

Image

regards,

Martin.
40 years developing Templot. And counting ...

User avatar
Will L
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Will L » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:Hi Will,

Until the Admin gets this fixed, just post it in some other section (e.g. "ask the Admin"?) and then copy and paste it here by clicking the Img button...



Thanks Martin It hadn't occurred to me that you could get a copy of an image like that. Took a couple of goes and I can get it to work now. Useful advice, but once a copy exists on Ask the administrator I doubt its worth repeating here.

Will

Chris Mitton
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Chris Mitton » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Hallelujah! Thanks Danny for fixing the permissions issue...... :thumb we GER freaks must stick together!

....and here (belatedly) is the pic I was attempting to post, of 7492 plus ex-GER corridors.
StoweFen-Dec2012-1.JPG
StoweFen-Dec2012-1.JPG (93.69 KiB) Viewed 7795 times


I'll put some closer pictures in another post later this evening
Regards
Chris

User avatar
Flymo748
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Flymo748 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:Hallelujah! Thanks Danny for fixing the permissions issue...... :thumb we GER freaks must stick together!

....and here (belatedly) is the pic I was attempting to post, of 7492 plus ex-GER corridors.


Very nice, although I'm sure that it will look better in blue ;-)

More finger burning on my Y14 tender this afternoon, so a few pictures from me as well will be coming along...

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Chris Mitton
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Chris Mitton » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 am

Flymo748 wrote:Very nice, although I'm sure that it will look better in blue ;-)
Flymo

Hi Paul

Actually, although 7492 will be 1930's style unlined black, the coaches will be varnished teak (but sadly probably not to the Martyn Welch standard :( ) - so they'll still be comfortable behind a blue engine, if your Y14 ever fancies a day out in the West Midlands.....

Regards
Chris

martin goodall
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby martin goodall » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 am

It is a well-known fact that Round Tuits are in extremely short supply. I frequently find myself completely unable to get one, with the result that I have cupboardfuls of kits, and half-built models lying all over the place.

If anyone knows of a reliable way to obtain one of these essential tools (you only need one at a time), pehaps they would let us all know. Without one, it is impossible to make any progress.

User avatar
Andy W
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Andy W » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:03 pm

My dad was a machine tool fitter and I think I have some of his old stock somewhere. I don't think they are round though, probably best described as Square Tuits. Sadly they are Imperial so probably unusable these days.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

User avatar
Ian Everett
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Ian Everett » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm

martin goodall wrote:
If anyone knows of a reliable way to obtain one of these essential tools (you only need one at a time), pehaps they would let us all know. Without one, it is impossible to make any progress.


Eileen's Emporium have them in their catalogue but they are rarely in stock - see

https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.p ... t&Itemid=9

Ian

User avatar
grovenor-2685
Posts: 3238
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Perhaps if they made the 'round tuits' more readily available their other sales would increase.
;)
Keith

User avatar
Paul Townsend
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:53 pm

clecklewyke wrote:
martin goodall wrote:
If anyone knows of a reliable way to obtain one of these essential tools (you only need one at a time), pehaps they would let us all know. Without one, it is impossible to make any progress.


Eileen's Emporium have them in their catalogue but they are rarely in stock - see

https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.p ... t&Itemid=9

Ian


I went to Eileen's open day last June specifically to stock up on these. Derek showed me the locked cupboard where he keeps them but someone in the family had lost the key!!

Chris Mitton
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Round Tuits - found!

Postby Chris Mitton » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:54 am

Hi all

This thread has been remarkably dormant lately. I date this from the day I opened my big gob and became your Society's Treasurer....of late my desk has seen a lot of files, but sadly of the computer variety! and the CSB spreadsheets have disappeared under a mountain of account spreadsheets, VAT returns, emails needing response by yesterday - meanwhile the granddaughters are growing fast and requiring more and more time....

HOWEVER!!! A few odd moments have enabled me to (more or less) finish my first P4 loco, E4 no. 7492. As noted before on this forum, it's basically a Gibson kit, with Mashima motor sticking up into the firebox, and CSB suspension (both loco and tender) with axleboxes etc and gearbox courtesy of Chris Gibbon. And here she is, finished in LNER unlined black (I never could paint anything more elaborate!):
E4-7492-800-1.JPG
E4-7492-800-1.JPG (76.73 KiB) Viewed 6431 times


She looks pretty clean at present - Stowe Fen's crew take great pride in her. Well, they've very little else to do until I build some more track!

Another pic:
E4-7492-800-2.JPG
E4-7492-800-2.JPG (78.63 KiB) Viewed 6431 times


But the biggest joy of all came at the AGM. Not getting my first set of accounts passed. Not even finding kind souls who actually agreed with me! No, 7492 made her maiden voyage, a few laps of Wadhurst, and hardly any fingerpoken needed - so I felt pretty pleased with myself. Here she is, from Paul's blog:

http://beerandbuckjumpers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/only-shunting-planks.html

Many thanks to Paul for the movie, and to the guys from the Epsom club for indulging me on their layout, of which I'm sure we'll see a lot more.

Regards
Chris

User avatar
Jol Wilkinson
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:53 am

Chris,

now you have found a roundtuit, could you copy it and post it on the forum, I'm sure we could all use one.

Congrats on finishing your first loco, now you are over that hurdle, the world is your 18.83 bi-valve mollusc.

Jol

Trevor Grout
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 am

Re: Round Tuits

Postby Trevor Grout » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 am

Jol,

You could have this one until you find your own
tuit.jpg


Return to “Chris Mitton”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests