Glevum at Preston

dcockling

Glevum at Preston

Postby dcockling » Mon May 09, 2011 3:20 pm

On Saturday 7th May, members of the Glevum AG travelled north to visit Mike Norris's Preston.

On the way we stopped at The Bear's Head in Brereton, Sandbach for lunch, which if any of you are ever near we would recommend.

Suitably refreshed, we travelled on to Mike's where with some of us acting as drivers and some as signalmen and with a great deal of help and support from Mike and his team of 'mentors' (David, Tony and Graham), we worked our way through around two and a half hours of real life time table in a little over three hours.

Although Mike is keen to emphasise that Preston is a work in progress, one can only stand in amazement at the scope of his achievement so far and at the impressive standard of workmanship that Mike has applied to everything that he has done.
Thanks to Mike and Elaine and also to our helpers for what was a most enjoyable day out.

Preston.jpg

There are some more pictures here as well as a video below:

All the Best
Danny

Penrhos1920

Re: Glevum at Preston

Postby Penrhos1920 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:16 pm

What are the curtains above the station area for? I can see that at least one is the track diagram.
Getting it Alright

Penrhos Junctions near Caerphilly - Barry Rly, Rhymney Rly and A(N&SW)D&R 1920 and pseudo modern image in S4F
and
Awrhyllgwami for DEMU challenge
and
Dispelling the P4 drop in wheel myth
and
TOERAG Obergruppenführer

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon May 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Penrhos1920 wrote:What are the curtains above the station area for? I can see that at least one is the track diagram.

Not sure but my odd pose should show that they don't really help you sight your signals!

They weren't there the first time I went nor were the track diagrams which helped the signalmen this time in comparison to the previous visit.

Its a great experience to operate as compared to most layouts its a different approach with the correct signalboxes and drivers, a proper timetable but also a very busy scene rather than a small rural location.

If anyone gets the chance of a visit then do go as its a really good experience being unique and also to see how well a P4 layout can run. I think we had an operator error derailment and that was about it even though much of the stock was RTR wheel conversions.

Thanks again from me :).

ps It was all going swimmingly once the signalling was mastered by those operators until my Freightliner was hurtling towards an errant parcels van somehow left in platform 4.. Cut a hasty signal check and some head scratching to release the 08 to sort it out!

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon May 09, 2011 5:24 pm

dcockling wrote:...On the way we stopped at The Bear's Head in Brereton, Sandbach for lunch, which if any of you are ever near we would recommend...

So eating in the Bears Head were you, that's right in the Crewe Area Group heartland. I live no more than two miles away, and Adrian Prescott's front door is no more than a couple of hundred yards away.

The Bears Head always used to be excellent, but they went off the boil a bit when they got incorporated in a chain. The menu went a bit run of the mill pub food. Looking at the current menu is seems they may have realised their mistake, next time the wife suggest lunch out we'll have to pay them a visit.

dcockling wrote:..we worked our way through around two and a half hours of real life time table in a little over three hours.

Reasonably good going that. The CAG has done that two hours twice now and we got no nearer even time than you. As I remember it this is 12 midnight to 2 in the morning. You do have to wonder how long it would take to run a busy part of the time table!

Will

mike_t_norris

Re: What are the curtains above the station area for?

Postby mike_t_norris » Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 pm

This is an attempt at a proscenium arch, due to the high angle of the photograph it does make it look like it is right down on the layout, in fact it is 16 inches above it. This gives an average height person a field of view right across the layout, without too much room background, it also helps funnel the daylight tubes even light on the layout. The reason Craig is bent down is probably to either speak to a signalman or check a signal aspect, which will be reapeated in the operating well in due time.

Return to “Glevum Area Group”