My Workbench

Jeremy Suter

Re: My Workbench

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:52 pm

I have only moved once in the last 30 years and this is my old workshop before I left home It was still tidy then looks like i was making a gearbox at the time .
img20210425_20375026.jpg

These are the Pantograph milling machines The Gravograph I still use but the nearer one is a Taylor Hobson which I gave to Adrian Prescott before I left home. I'm sure I photographed the other bench with the lathes on but I can't find it.
img20210425_20384224.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:38 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:My only reason for feeling I have anything to contribute to this interesting thread is to show the two angle poise lamps standing sentry over the chaos below. They were my Dad's and date from I don't know when, well before I was born, from a time (so it seems to me) when things were made properly!!! The only contemporary angle poises I have seen on sale are useless in comparison, at least in terms of being able to be put in almost any position.

I have an trade marked Anglepoise lamp, i.e. the "real thing", as does Paul G. but I have now retired mine because
1. it took up space on the table top (and thus has been replaced by an similar IKEA lamp which I could mount on the wall, and
2. Real Anglepoise lamps are now collectors items which are appreciating in value.

I think Julian's are proper industrial draftsman's lights, which certainly do a better job than the anglepoise.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Yeh gads... No one go near my work bench at the moment!!!! these are all clean and tidy compared I have changed to a fold up table 6ft long by 2ft 6 but still it is covered. In fact now that I have just about got Wills sheet out of my system. OK I have been finishing buildings off some started 10 years earlier, some started and finished in the month! Others have been repaired after falls off things.

Once the last 2 are finished I will be able to clean all the plastic swaft/ saw dust off the table and move back to the V2's. It will be one of the few times it will end up clean.... well ...cleanish!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:26 am

Tim V wrote:Note how many 13A sockets there are - you can never have too many of those

I thought I was doing well Tim with 10 within about 4 feet of where I sit but I think I can see 12 in your picture. :) There are quite often occasions when they are all in use especially in the winter when I have a heater plugged in. I try to make sure that I switch off and unplug things when I have finished.

Will L wrote:Real Anglepoise lamps are now collectors items which are appreciating in value.

I also have two original Anglepoise lamps although one had to have a new cable fitted not long ago. Use an LED bulb and they are fine.

Terry Bendall

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:28 am

I too have some ancient real Anglepoises.
They are virtually impossible to make all metalwork earthed so are potentially dangerous.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:20 am

Paul Townsend wrote:I too have some ancient real Anglepoises.
They are virtually impossible to make all metalwork earthed so are potentially dangerous.

Now where did I hear they were recycled navigator lights from RAF bombers specifically Lancasters?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:26 am

Paul Townsend wrote:I too have some ancient real Anglepoises.

While I agree that it is dependant to sliding contact earth paths which might not pass the more risk avers modern regulations, i suspect it is unlikely to be the most electrical suspect device in the work shop, even mine which lives on single 4 slot extension lead (Which itself would raise the eyebrows of your local fire safety man).

Like Terry's mine has had a new flex recently, but none the less you had me running my multimeter over it which showed a good low resistance earth path from shade to metal base to the earth pin on the plug. Question is which action puts your life most at risk, having a Covid Jab, driving 250 miles in your car or turning on an anglepoise.
Hint the first two have been quoted as proximately equivalent in risk terms recently.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:57 am

Will L wrote:
Philip Hall wrote:...I must say that I do like everyone's laser cut drawer units. It looks very tidy compared to my piecemeal approach of using up old furniture!

For me it was old shoe boxes until I found the draw units. They improved things a lot.
They come from EBMA Hobby & Craft, at https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk
Which is Andy G(oodman) of this parish.

No connection etc.

I have used these Racco storage units for many years and have acquired quite a few from various sources. I also have several shoe boxes in use.
DSCF1251.jpg
There are six units in this alcove behind my workroom door and this is as far back as I can get to take a picture without knocking down a wall. The missing draws containing sleeving are in the layout room, which is where you will find my original work desk.
DSCF1245.jpg

This was a second-hand office desk and has been with me through three homes. It has been fitted with casters to make moving it easier as it is a bit of a beast. When I first bought it, the delivery guy who arrived with it asked me if I had measured the width to see if it would fit through the front door, something that hadn't even crossed my mind. I had visions of it being left in the front garden for me to deal with, but fortunately it fitted, just!
I subsequently discovered that it can be dismantled and reassembled, something I have had to do several times, especially as it been moved up and down stairs more than once.
A rare sight, an almost clear desk,
DSCF1247.jpg

but not for long.
DSCF1248.jpg

It is 5 feet long and is very useful when wiring baseboards.

This is the upstairs work room where most modelling is done.
DSCF1249.jpg

All that space and so little available.
These kitchen units have followed me from London and been reconfigured for the new workspace, rendering the desk spare.
Those in the railway room are a mix of old and new sometimes tailored to fit.
The florescent lamp is branded Luxo and came from 1001 Lamps of Bromley road, London and is many years old and on its third pair of tubes.
There is an Anglepoise lamp on the floor.
Regards
Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed May 05, 2021 1:51 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:from a time (so it seems to me) when things were made properly!!! The only contemporary angle poises I have seen on sale are useless in comparison, at least in terms of being able to be put in almost any position.

Ah, but a decent Anglepoise costs quite a bit now. And years ago we only had Oxo tins, not the lovely Really Useful Box Company containers
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed May 05, 2021 2:28 pm

I'll admit there wasn't much of a tidy up...

DE2 taking centre stage.
Drill on right, soldering iron on left. Heat proof circular work board in middle.
The lathe is in another room.
Swanage's scenic parts sit above all of this.
Ex Maplins store components drawers at the back.
GWR railcar P4, LMS Stanier 4 tank 00, large brick building off Forge Mills in for a repair, various wagons and huts including my Midland Weighbridge hut. Base of the work light on the right too.
I'm also repairing a mug handle...
20210505_143420.jpg

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Tim V wrote:Very tidy Will!

Here's a couple of pictures.

Down in the garage I have a Myford ML7, plus a Chinese vertical drill and band saw for heavier jobs (out of sight).
2014 -2 Progress (3).JPG

Do we take it ftom this Tim that Clutton is alive and well? :D

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed May 05, 2021 6:21 pm

It's in the loft area of my garage, dismantled.

As can be seen, I can put it up in the garage, but it hasn't been touched since Railwells 2018.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm

Michael,

That image suggests a claustrophobic environment. However, they say men can't multitask and here's you mending mugs, progressing locos and buildings, and coin collecting simultaneously. Presumably the rawlplugs are to better secure the mug hook next time round?

Lindsay

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”