Aylesbury Shed

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
David Bigcheeseplant

Aylesbury Shed

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:37 pm

As a quick 12 month project (we have our first show booked for February 2010) and before we build something a little bit bigger! The Risborough & District area group/MRC are planning to model Aylesbury two-road engine shed as looking off platform 1, The model will have just three turnouts with a sector plate at both ends and a fiddle yard behind the scenic area, I hope to post plans later.

We do have quite a bit of information so far; official drawings, track plan etc, but additional photos or information would always be welcome. Have a look at photos of the station here http://dewi.ca/trains/aylesbur/index.html

We plan to model in the period of the mid 1930s to late 1960s The wide scope of locomotives is quite appealing, as the station/shed was owned by the Great Western, Great Central (LNER) and Metropolitan, with the Midland region taking over in the late 1950s. Even Southern locos Schools Cheltenham and West Country Bude even made a visit, Plus of course many types of BR standard types.

Behind the shed itself was a nice collection of buildings including grounded Metropolitan coach 212 and a two-story building that looks very much like an old signal box.

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Aylesbury Shed

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:31 pm

We have now decided to model the other two platforms and main lines, the overall visable dims are nine foot by two foot six without any compression. Here are some photos of the prototype

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:14 am

[IMG=http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8466/img3393u.jpg][/IMG]

Over the last week we have laid and ballasted the track in one go in the loco yard and Risborough branch platform. All five pits have been made and fixed into holes routed into the baseboards. We will have the layout on show at our local Risex show on Saturday 20th Febuary http://www.rdmrc.nildram.co.uk/

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:21 pm

URL=http://img685.imageshack.us/i/aylesburyphoto32.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Another view of the progress on the model plus a prototype photo from a simular possition, the catch point in the turnout is something I have not seen modelled before.

David

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:20 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote: the catch point in the turnout is something I have not seen modelled before.

David

See Knutsford.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:53 am

Alan Turner wrote:
David Bigcheeseplant wrote: the catch point in the turnout is something I have not seen modelled before.

David

See Knutsford.

See also Hallatrow.

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 am

Thats told me!

These are the pits before they were added to the layout, a photo in 1908 show light weight flat bottom in the shed, so thats what I fixed to those two pits, only to get a photo two days later that showed chaired track, so it was off with rail I had just glued on. I have also been working on the telegraph poles, Masokits items, and i think look the part.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:27 am

The telegraph pole looks fantastic! I've got a pack of those in my "to do" box.

Nick Allport
CLAG

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Alan Turner wrote:

David

See Knutsford.

Somebodies noticed, I'm impressed

Will

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:19 pm

I have now been working on the engine shed I drew it up in AutoCAD and got York Modelmaking to laser cut the various bits, I have painted the sides before I assemble them. in the photos the walls are just placed hence the gaps. Each wall is made of three bits an outer brick layer and inner brick layer and a clear gazing layer the window frames are laser cut from label paper.

The photos are rather cruel as they are quite a bit bigger than full size.

David

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:46 pm

I have now been working the roof trusses and smoke troughs, these are soldered up from copperclad strip, brass and wire, the smoke troughs are plasticard, since the photos were taken I have sprayed the whole lot smokey black.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 pm

looking through some old mags, came across a colour pic of the shed. Model Railways January 1988, pic said to be taken on 12th August 1966. If you don't already have it, it may be worth looking out.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:looking through some old mags, came across a colour pic of the shed. Model Railways January 1988, pic said to be taken on 12th August 1966. If you don't already have it, it may be worth looking out.
Regards
Keith

Hi Keith
if its in Model Railways and looking at the rear of the shed I do have a copy, if not can you scan it and send it over?

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Looking at the rear it is, with the little brick add on in a rather bright brick colour.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:10 am

After not much progress for a year, work on our model of Aylesbury has restarted, Phil Baxendale having built the platforms, There is still a small amout of track to build and lay including the Metropolitain bay and the small loading dock then it will be on making the various buildings and scenic items.

All the track that has been laid is wired and working with point motors.

As I has access to a CNC router I have drawn up fiddle yard cassette bases and the infil strips between the running rails plus also a gauging strip these align with holes down the centre line of each componet, if anyone is interested in these parts let me know.

For a couple of pictures check out our website.

David

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 am

A few photos of the layout taken on my phone yesterday, I feel that some of pics have come out a little like they were taken on a box brownie in the 1950s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”