Phosphor bronze wire for buffer springs

Bob Ellis

Phosphor bronze wire for buffer springs

Postby Bob Ellis » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:53 pm

I have never been happy with the kinds of buffer springs that are compressed within the buffer guides. In my opinion, the springs are too strong and do not compress or release in a way that resembles the prototype. I prefer to use phospher bronze wire threaded through a ferrule soldered onto the back of the buffer which, I think, gives a lighter and more realistic springing effect. Unfortunately, I have run out of the phosphor bronze wire that I use and cannot remember where I bought it. :(

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of phosphor bronze wire suitable for for this purpose?

Re: Phosphor bronze wire for buffer springs

Postby 45609 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Bob,

You do not mention what gauge wire you are using but I know that Roger Sawyer (aka Eileen's Emporium) will probably have what you want. I have some 30swg and 33swg phosphor bronze wire that I bought from him not so long ago.

Cheers....Morgan

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 am

Bob,

This all sounds very interesting as I have been looking for a better way of spring buffers but you have not said what gauge of phosphor bronze wire you use and where do you get the brass ferrule from. Do you use this system on both wagons and coaches :?:

Pity I was not able to speak to you at Portsmouth on Saturday but you always seemed to had a crowd around you when I walked past.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:04 am

Eileen's Empororium do a 10 pk of 0.3mm phosphor bronze very inexpensively compared with others.
Have you looked at the Exactoscale method of buffer and coupling springing, very much nearer the prototype
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks Morgan and John, I have ordered some from Roger at Eileen's Emporium. The wire I use is 0.3mm in diameter.

I agree with you, John, about the Exactoscale buffing and coupling springing system, but on some models there is insufficient space to fit them without fouling the Bill Bedford sprung 'W' irons. The phosphor bronze wire is useful when space is at a premium.

Dave, the ferrules are merely cut from brass tube that is easily available from Eileen's Emporium or Squires, among others. Yes, I do use this system on wagons as well as coaches, but it needs adapting for use under vehicles with plastic floors because glue does not hold the spring wire in place as reliably as solder. I shall see whether I can post a couple of photos when my new supply of phosphor bronze wire arrives.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:47 am

Bob Ellis wrote:The wire I use is 0.3mm in diameter.

Dave, the ferrules are merely cut from brass tube that is easily available from Eileen's Emporium or Squires, among others. Yes, I do use this system on wagons as well as coaches, but it needs adapting for use under vehicles with plastic floors because glue does not hold the spring wire in place as reliably as solder. I shall see whether I can post a couple of photos when my new supply of phosphor bronze wire arrives.

What is 0.3 in swg as I have some rolls of PB wire for Eileen's but it is all labelled with swg and what are the dimensions of the brass tube :?:

As most on new build have Exactoscale underframes I can solder the PB wire to that. Will be interested to see your photos as I have a number of BR 16T minerals to re-buffer as the spring method does not give the right effect.

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:57 am

I have no information that tells me the SWG of the wire I use. However, the Vernier caliper tells me that it has a diameter of 0.31mm and a website I found using a Google search says that 0.31mm diameter wire is 30 SWG.

The inside diameter of the brass tube depends on the diameter of the buffer shanks you are using. Ideally the buffer shank should be a push fit into the end of the tube, but a sloppier fit will do - it just makes it a little more difficult to solder.

It will be a few days before I can post any pictures of my method because I am waiting for a fresh delivery of phosphor bronze wire from Eileen's Emporium. The photos should make the method clear.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:17 am

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 am

Bob,

I intend to try your phosphor bronze buffer spring method, and to paraphrase 'not to have to reinvent the wheel' therefore can you tell me:

1. The length of phosphor bronze wire.
2. The distance from the attachment point on the wagon floor to the back of the buffer beam.

Dave

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Dave,

It is not an exact science, the length of the wire depending to some extent on the distance between the inside of the solebars, which, of course, will be greater on etched brass kits than on white metal kits. The most recent ones I have sprung this way have been some four and six-wheeled etched brass coaches. The wire was cut to 23.5mm long and soldered to the floor 3mm behind the buffer beam and about 1.5mm in from the solebar on the opposite side from the buffer, so that the wire runs not quite parallel to the buffer beam. Obviously, the wires cross over one another in the centre and are best fitted before the coupling hook and in such a way that they do not foul it.

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Speaking of springing, I recently heard from our local hobby shop that phosphor bronze resumes it's shape rather smartly after being deformed. It is thus (apprently) well suited to handrail wire. Does anyone have experience in this regard?
Has anyone used it as an alternative to guitar string for w-irons?
I use the stuff for pickups and it seems to work rather well in that role.

Neil

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:46 pm

I have seen this interesting post, and I am waiting the pictures (I don't understand the ferrule part...).
What I have to note is that in Scalefour News (number 13, Aug 1978, page 73), there is a drawing about something similar, but using slots in the buffer beam.

Regards,

Carlos

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”