EBMA Material Stand

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
Andy G

EBMA Material Stand

Postby Andy G » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:46 am

Recently on his workbench, https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6907#p76842, Ralph has made a material stand. He's subsequently passed the idea over to us and we've developed into something that fits within our range of units and is hopefully of interest to yourselves. The development isn't finalised yet and it's been through a number of permutations so we'd be interested in knowing which would be your preferred choice.
The choice is with regard to the bays at the front of the unit. There will be one section for storing coiled wire and at least one other with two drawers in it. The provision for the third bay is open for discussion - vertical storage for short sections or two more drawers?

Option 1.

Option 2.
We're also about to release a unit with four open shelves for storing sheet material upto A4 size and this is shown with option 2 -

If you've got any other ideas or suggestions about the units we'd like to hear them so they can possibly be included before we start production.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft
https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk

martin goodall

Re: EBMA Material Stand

Postby martin goodall » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:13 am

I have wanted a reliable and tidy means of storing my packets of Evergreen strip for years. I did cobble together a couple of containers, but the internal dividers quickly came adrift, and so the neat and tidy ordering of the various sizes of strip rapidly broke down, and it was back to sifting through the packets on the floor until I find the one I'm looking for.

So an Evergreen strip container/tidy would be very helpful. It needs a number of divisions, each slightly wider than the packets in which Evergreen strip is supplied and about 40 mm across. I can accommodate the complete range of Evergreen strip (plus one compartment for miscellaneous sections - rod, tube, H-section, U-section, etc.) in 8 compartments, arranged in two boxes, each with 4 compartments.

I note that the photos illustrate some Evergreen strip stored in the units already designed, but a dedicated storage facility specifically for Evergreen strip (along the lines indicated above) would be extremely useful.

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:20 am

Dimensions please? I know the bottom slots are for A4, but I can't work out the rest.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am

jon price wrote:Dimensions please? I know the bottom slots are for A4, but I can't work out the rest.

Base is 305.2 x 215
The rear bay is 240mm tall and the middle section 150mm

Cheers
Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Maybe more vertical storage holes on the bottom instead of the drawers for needle files, paint brushes etc. You could do it blank so that we could drill our own holes. Great idea though, at the moment all my Evergreen, wire etc is in whisky bottle tubes!
Rod

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Would it be possible to make the top section into a number of equal section so that one can store the Evergreen strip by thickness as I am forever sorting for a particular size, decide that I don't have it, buy another pack only to find I've already got it.

Thanks

Dave

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks for the responses. I think we'll go with the version with two drawers and a set of holes, i.e. option 1.

Dave K wrote:Would it be possible to make the top section into a number of equal section so that one can store the Evergreen strip by thickness as I am forever sorting for a particular size, decide that I don't have it, buy another pack only to find I've already got it.

Thanks

Dave

Dave, we can very easily make a custom version for you. Once we've got it into production just let us know how you would like yours.

Martin, due to the length of the Evergreen packs a unit as you describe wouldn't fit within our standard range. However, producing a custom unit would not be a big issue - drop us an email at info@ebmahobby.co.uk and we can discuss what you'd want.

Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft
https://ebmahobby.co.uk
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:02 pm

To hold packets of Evergreen strip, each compartment needs to be 60 mm wide. Rather than trying to separate every type of strip, I find that 8 divisions 40 mm deep suffice for the whole collection (in two boxes, with 4 compartment in each). A height of 200 mm is more than enough to hold the packets upright (could even be as little as 150 mm).

I didn't have access to these materials when I wrote my note yesterday. Now I'm back at base, I've taken a photo of one of my current improvised (and in practice unsatisfactory) containers:

IMG_6393.jpg

Your laser-cut containers look like a much better bet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Andy G wrote:and we've developed into something that fits within our range of units and is hopefully of interest to yourselves

I would guess that the picture of the thin wire/rod is for illustrative purposes only. otherwise lots of thin bits to stab the hand or even worse enter the eye. My preference for thin wire is to use the plastic tubes with end caps sold by various suppliers. That way the sharp edges are protected.However that sort of storage would work in this rack.

Andy G wrote:and at least one other with two drawers in it

Drawers are useful for the short ends of rod and sheet that are too useful to throw away, or if you are mean, too valuable to do so. :)

Terry Bendall

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm

martin goodall wrote:
IMG_6393.jpg

Your laser-cut containers look like a much better bet.

Hi Martin,
We can certainly achieve something similar. I'll draw something up tomorrow

Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:
I would guess that the picture of the thin wire/rod is for illustrative purposes only. otherwise lots of thin bits to stab the hand or even worse enter the eye. My preference for thin wire is to use the plastic tubes with end caps sold by various suppliers. That way the sharp edges are protected.However that sort of storage would work in this rack.

Hadn't thought of that, but very good point (ouch!). I'll have to source some of those and make a H&S notice in the instructions. The plastic tubes would also stop the wire/rod getting caught and bent.

Terry Bendall wrote:
Drawers are useful for the short ends of rod and sheet that are too useful to throw away, or if you are mean, too valuable to do so. :)

We've been rumbled!
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Andy G wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote:... My preference for thin wire is to use the plastic tubes with end caps sold by various suppliers...

Hadn't thought of that, but very good point (ouch!). I'll have to source some of those ...

I've been trying to find plastic tubs with end caps to store collection of brass wire sizes off and on for a while and I can only find commercial quantities. If you do get supplies your prepared to sell on in relatively small quantities, I could snatch your hand off.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:My preference for thin wire is to use the plastic tubes with end caps sold by various suppliers.
Terry Bendall

Can you recommend any Terry? And if it's only viable in large quantities, maybe something the Stores can help with?
Rod

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:

Terry Bendall

Empty business card boxes...

Scrap materials boxes.JPG

(I think I've posted this one before!)

Cheers
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:
Terry Bendall wrote:My preference for thin wire is to use the plastic tubes with end caps sold by various suppliers.
Terry Bendall

Can you recommend any Terry? And if it's only viable in large quantities, maybe something the Stores can help with?

Rod,
Try https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/categories.php
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm

You could also look at the Card Crafting sites, there are some firms which sell various size plastic boxes from the size Paul has shown ,up to A4 . My wife uses them at times for her card crafting items, from memory she thinks 5 A5 boxes are about £8 to £10 and come in a stack skeleton. Just had a look at one of her boxes with a company label on it....., try.... WestonBoxes.com

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:21 pm

The HobbyCraft stores stock a range of "Really Useful" Boxes in sets of handy sizes for component stowage.
The clear plastic, Ferro Rocher choc boxes are good too.
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 pm

LesGros wrote:
Rod Cameron wrote:
Terry Bendall

Rod,
Try https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/categories.php

I also got some from Phil at Hobby Holidays when he was doing exhibitions. Online only now. Search found them http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/search.p ... at=&sfil0=
Steve Carter

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:02 pm

LesGros wrote:The HobbyCraft stores stock a range of "Really Useful" Boxes in sets of handy sizes for component stowage.
The clear plastic, Ferro Rocher choc boxes are good too.

Agreed. I have made good use of both. Very useful (although not really suitable for Evergreen strip).

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 am

DaveHarris wrote:WestonBoxes.com

I use A4 Weston Boxes for loco kits while they're being built - they allow you to keep etches flat. I got five for £16.99 here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324017392410

LesGros wrote:The HobbyCraft stores stock a range of "Really Useful" Boxes in sets of handy sizes for component stowage.
I have a lot of RUBs of various sizes but I don't like them - they have a tendency to come open when picked up or when dropped, which makes them the opposite of "really useful"...

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:03 pm

I have beaten to it with the link to Hobby Holidays which is where I got mine. Small sizes of Really Useful Boxes are a good if a little expensive solution. Being mean I use margarine tubs and for larger item 2 litre ice cream tubs both with and without lids. It does of course depend on whether such things come into your house. :)

Small plastic trays from various sources, including business card boxes, are useful on the bench when making little bits that can can easily get misplaced. However those of us who no longer have a need for business cards - or perhaps never did, need another source, :) Those who smoke, or know someone who does, may have a ready supply of tobacco tins. :)

Terry Bendall

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:49 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:Small plastic trays from various sources, including business card boxes, are useful on the bench when making little bits that can can easily get misplaced. However those of us who no longer have a need for business cards - or perhaps never did, need another source, :) Those who smoke, or know someone who does, may have a ready supply of tobacco tins. :)

Terry Bendall

I find Patum Peperium pots particularly useful on the workbench:

IMG_7039.JPG

The interiors are dished, so you don't find you're having to chase small parts from a corner with tweezers, but can just swipe them out with a digit. Here's one full of 48xx bits...

IMG_7040.JPG

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:21 am

My latest parts storage device in the humble egg box. Over here they come in four different sizes (4, 6, 10, and 12 eggs) and those that are given freely when you buy 'loose' eggs are invariably made of old-fashioned, compostable cardboard (supermarkets do occasionally have the nasty blown plastic ones, but they also sell factory-farmed eggs - we ignore those). Separating the lids from the bases gives you two parts for each size - the base with 'compartments' for smaller bits 'n bobs and the lid for larger or longer items - simples!
David L-T

Andy G

Postby Andy G » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:48 am

Guys this is supposed to be a thread about the EBMA products, can we please bring it back on thread, or start another post elsewhere?

Tube storage - I am looking into it. Interestingly it appears to be the endcaps that are expensive, not the tubes - unless you buy a shed load!

martin goodall wrote:Your laser-cut containers look like a much better bet.

Martin, did you get a message from me yesterday? I'm not sure it actually sent as I can't see any trace of it.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers
Andy
EBMA Hobby & Craft

Return to “Product Information”