GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Jeremy Suter

Re: GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Post by steve howe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:03 am

They are nice little buildings. I did one in local stone for our Club layout a few years ago using the 'Pendon' method of card and watercolour using the drawings in Karau's book, but slightly adapted the floor plan to provide a forecourt entrance:

Hi Steve
Pretty much done the same with a through entrance hence the awning on both sides. I need to do a signal box but not seen a stone box yet plenty of wooden ones with a stone base, so that's the way I think I will go. Not sure about a goods shed as my loop line goes into a bay platform for unloading luggage milk and carriages and can be used for the railmotor as well. Its a country terminus called Bamfylde. Taken from the book. To Serve Them All My Days, by RF Delderfied. About a minor Public School in the Devon Somerset border country just after WW1, so can give me an excuse to run bigger trains than the usual as well as my GCR stock as excursion traffic from the midlands.
Last edited by Jeremy Suter on Mon May 11, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:To Serve Them All My Days, by RF Delderfied

I love that book. Maybe time to read it again...

Nick Allport
CLAG

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Mon May 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Just letting those interested in the Railmotor body kit. The Production etch went to the etchers just before the lockdown, its paid for but just waiting on the first etch to arrive so I can do the instruction build.

In the mean time between sending out orders, which have gone a little mad at the moment. I have found a bit of modeling time to do some work on the layout.

I have now glued all the ballast down, which is actually very fine Bude beach sand. The point rodding and ground signals were laid and painted black before ballasting. The platform tops are made from 1.5mm card and I still need to put the finish surface on them.

I am going to extend the layout at the back for more scenery as the platforms are hanging over the edge of the board at the moment. I will go at least another 6 inches further back. I need to give the landscape more shape as a railway is built to the landscape.

IMG_5485 (2).JPG
IMG_5488.JPG
IMG_5492.JPG

Just had a couple of new kits arrive from Wizard 51L models this morning. Been waiting a while for them to be released so can now get on with the etched chassis I designed for them when I made the patterns.

IMG_5482.JPG
IMG_5495.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Tue May 12, 2020 7:43 am

Looks great. The station building is a kit?

Nick Allport
CLAG

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Post by JackBlack » Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 am
Looks great. The station building is a kit?

Hi Nick
The building is based on Abbotsbury in Dorset but in reverse and with a through hall. I drew it up some months ago and Ralph Robertson Laser cut it for me, I was planning to laser cut the windows and doors then laminate them to give the relief but decided to 3d print them,as I am learning 3d drawing. Or trying to get my head round Fusion 360 I don't have enough projects or time to practise. Not sure weather to use embossed Plasticard or das and scribe the stonework myself.
IMG_5496.JPG
IMG_5498.JPG
IMG_5501.JPG
IMG_5500.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jeremy Suter on Wed May 13, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed May 13, 2020 9:28 am

Those windows look nice Jeremy. The Photon never ceases to amaze me at what you can do with it, I did try doing some boiler washout plugs the other day and kicked that into touch, perhaps a mite too small but otherwise it is a brilliant piece of kit.

Ralph

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu May 14, 2020 8:25 am

Jeremy Suter wrote: Not sure weather to use embossed Plasticard or das and scribe the stonework myself.

If you choose the DAS route could you post a few progress photos with explanation? :thumb
Tim Lee

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:Not sure weather to use embossed Plasticard or das and scribe the stonework myself.

I've just been using Slaters embossed stone courses on the Timber Tracks engine shed, attached with butanone. I'm pretty happy with it. It's thin and quite easy to cut (unlike the Wills sheets).

Nick Allport
CLAG

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Thu May 14, 2020 1:41 pm

Depends on what sort of stone you are modelling I suppose.
I've used Green Stuff World embossed ABS (it's a Spanish firm) for Cheddar as it better reflects Mendip limestone than Wills course stone
This is overlaid on an MDF carcass too.

Wernffrwdwizard

Postby Wernffrwdwizard » Wed May 20, 2020 7:36 pm

These are some of my many “when I get round to it” projects and I haven’t as yet . The station building is based on William Clark’s Camerton station for my son’s 00 gauge layout. His departure to University and a house move resulted in no available storage space and the layout having to change hands. This was some twenty odd years ago which accounts for the discolouration of the polystyrene. If I remember correctly the stones were carved individualy from .030” polystyrene sheet. I think this approach gives a realistic portrayal but is very laborious.

The engine shed for the layout is based on Abbotsbury and uses much reworked Wills stone sheet as I was tired of carving each and every stone (smoke ventilator not fixed).

I keep promising myself to finish these buildings and incorporate them in a small portable plank, but with the troubled time we currently live in and the diversion of work from my Henllan layout, I would just be adding to my mountain of half finished projects.

I did try Das to represent dressed stonework on the road overbridge and was pleased with the result. However, as I made the mistake of making the structure out of polystyrene sheet thinking the solvent would bond the DAS to the structure. When completely dry it cracked and parts fell off! I have since learnt the application of PVA to a wood base would overcome this problem.

On Henllan, currently under construction, I had the problem of modelling some 23ft of dry stone walling where the material used appeared to be an industrial waste product of small size. I considered DAS but dismissed this because of the amount of work in involved. Eventually Jonathan Buckie produced laser cut lengths of MDF walling from photos I had supplied. To give some surface texture each individual stone has had a blob of Mr Hobby 500 filler added and then painted, all very time consuming and still work in progress. The curved section is carved white filler on Balsa wood base.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu May 21, 2020 7:14 am

Andrew. lovely station. You don't say what you glued the green stuff stone sheet to the MDF with, I have never been a great plastic lover as the solvent glues tend to want to deform the plastic on this kind of modelling or are the sheets thick enough that they are not affected by it.

Brian. That station is very nice I do like the carved stones and the natural ageing of it makes it look better it also reminds me that the doorway in mine is not big enough as the top should be as high as the window tops. I shall get the craft knife out later. Being polystyrene sheet and looking at the walls how many layers are there to get the thickness and what glue hold them together. The stone wall on the layout look very effective.

Thanks to all for showing me methods of doing the stonework , This is my first building in over 35 years as my Father did all the architectural modelling when I was at home using card.

Wernffrwdwizard

Postby Wernffrwdwizard » Thu May 21, 2020 5:38 pm

Jeremy, The main structure of the station building is made up of three layers of 0.060”plasticard with thinner material for the stonework and plinth overlays. The use of three layers has prevented any risk of distortion which occurred when I had used two layers. As for the glue I think it was Mekpak or similar. Nowadays I use superglues where possible, such as the joints in the sections of the retaining walls for Henllan where I used pasticard to strengthen and support the MDF face.

Brian.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:00 pm

After a long wait the Body Production Etch has been ordered from the etchers. I have drawn one off already to make sure it works and build to do the instructions, which I will put up shortly. Had to make a very small change to it before running it.
The Roof Production Etch has been drawn up and is also at the etchers will run one off and test build to finish the instructions and double check I have got it right.

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

This is as far as I have got with the build off this etch still some parts left but need the roof etch as the seats and boiler etc are on it.
IMG_5703.JPG

I must build another chassis for this one but got a lot on at the moment.

The etchers are working but its taking longer for them to get things done

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Excellent! I think this will be my winter project....

Nick Allport
CLAG

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:56 pm

Just received from PPD the Production Etches for the Railmotor Diagram Q and Q1 body part 1 the price will be £45
IMG_5769[1].JPG

Also received is the Roof and Interior Production etch Just 1 print to test it and write the instructions
IMG_5768[1].JPG

I received a few days ago another parcel from PPD with another production etch to add to the stores list for cosmetic loco springs short version 4 axles per unit they can be mounted to the chassis on the hornblock or to the frames them selves either above or below the spring price will be £3.50 per unit.
IMG_5767[1].JPG
IMG_5751[1].JPG
IMG_5754[1].JPG
IMG_5757[1].JPG
IMG_5759[1].JPG

Along with that order I got my GCR 5 plank Underframes production etches at £6 each.
IMG_5770[1].JPG

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Those loco springs look just the ticket :thumb
Tim Lee

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:36 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:Those loco springs look just the ticket :thumb

I had the trial etch and yes they are very useful.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:22 am

So this solves the problem of drop-out wheels with csbs and having to figure out a way to make the springs removable?

Nick Allport
CLAG

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:40 am

JackBlack wrote:So this solves the problem of drop-out wheels with csbs and having to figure out a way to make the springs removable?

That depends on how you mount them
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:56 pm

JackBlack wrote:So this solves the problem of drop-out wheels with csbs and having to figure out a way to make the springs removable?

Yes that's exactly what they were supposed to do, though others may find different uses.

I've been hanging my springs off the axle blocks for a while now but its a fiddly job and you have to ensure there well soldered on, as them putting them back if the fall off is even fiddlier. My F6 project, fitting a Gibson F6 2-4-2 kit with CSB, found the kit without any spring detail to work with. I wondered if I could get a few sprigs etched and I talked to Jeremy about how I wanted to use them. He said he could do me a few on a spare corner of an etch and they arrived surprisingly quickly. They worked beautifully. Jeremy then picked up the idea and ran with it.

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am

Will L wrote:I've been hanging my springs off the axle blocks for a while now but its a fiddly job and you have to ensure there well soldered on, as them putting them back if the fall off is even fiddlier. My F6 project, fitting a Gibson F6 2-4-2 kit with CSB, found the kit without any spring detail to work with. I wondered if I could get a few sprigs etched and I talked to Jeremy about how I wanted to use them. He said he could do me a few on a spare corner of an etch and they arrived surprisingly quickly. They worked beautifully. Jeremy then picked up the idea and ran with it.

That's awesome news! I've been soldering a little strip of NS between the springs and then sort of springing them into place, but it's really difficult to set up and solder correctly (I ended up finding a very specific kind of metal hair clip to hold the springs in place while I solder the strip between them) and sometimes they look a bit wonky. I've been looking for better solution. I'll be ordering some! Thanks, Nick

Nick Allport
CLAG

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Will the springs be added to the stores or will they be directly from you, Jeremy?

Cheers Phil

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Phil O wrote:Will the springs be added to the stores or will they be directly from you, Jeremy?

Cheers Phil

You need to talk to Jeremy, its all his enterprise, but I expect he'll see this soon enough and reply for himself.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:35 pm

The final parts for my GWR Diagram Q/Q1 Railmotor kit.

I finally got a day to make the Safety Valve and add it to the sprue for Lost Wax Casting these are all the Boiler fittings and driver controls for the driving end.

The Safety Valve is made from 14 pieces

IMG_6964.JPG

Boiler fitting sprue.
Firebox doors, Regulator handle, Left hand pipes, Gauge glass and regulator housing, Safety Valve. Right hand pipes, Driver end controls.
IMG_6966.JPG

Will go for lost wax casting this week

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:01 pm

Excellent work, Jeremy.

Phil

Return to “Jeremy Suter”