Caledonian Railway

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
dgp1957

Caledonian Railway

Postby dgp1957 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Folks can anyone tell me where I can get hold of info regarding the Caley? looking for ideas to maybe build a wee branchline layout in P4, what are they sleeper sizes on the caley?

Thanks
David

dcockling

Re: Caledonian Railway

Postby dcockling » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi David,

The Caledonian Railway Association would be a good start and Caley Coaches do a range of Caledonian kits.

All the Best
Danny

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:43 pm

The Caledonian Railtour reaches Wales, as Dunalastair III no. 900 arrives at Llanastr on Sunday.

900_at_Llanastr.jpg

All the Best
Danny
(Thanks Rodney)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm

As Danny said the CRA is the fount of all knowledge. and meets regularly in Glasgow -- next meeting 6th November, to which you would be welcome. There is also an email group of modellers. See http://www.crassoc.org.uk/

As regards sleeper sizes the Caley used 9ft x 10in sleepers, and didn't generally use point timbering; however there is virtually no information about rail lengths, sleeper spacing, etc, and there's been a good deal of discussion in various places about this, with no firm conclusions being reached. So plenty of scope for research and debate!

Allan F

p.s. That's a braw injin. I was recently discussing with someone the likelihood of CR coaches being used on internal L & Y services, but a Dunalastair in Wales is quite something!

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 am

There has recently been some discussion within the L&NWR Society about Caledonian engines working south of Carlisle. It was very rare on L&NWR routes, probably due to loading gauge restrictions.

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks guys, I have a unstarted Dunalistair III kit from Caley coaches, my next project, I have an almost finished Class 104 if I can get some pics uploaded to see what people think, remember this is my FIRST attempt at etched brass kit construction, so please be gentle with me :D

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 pm

"....I have a unstarted Dunalistair III kit from Caley coaches, my next project, I have an almost finished Class 104 ...."

Caley coaches are excellent kits and you should have no problem getting two decent models. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

I'm currently fighting with a DJH Dunalastair I..... talk about an exercise in self flagellation!

Allan F

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Aghhhh lining, Allan how did you manage to get the lining on your Dunalistair III, did you paint them on or use transfers, I've tried using a bow pen twice and had to strip the paint of each time?
Oh before I forget, where did yio get the loco number plate from?

David

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:21 pm

David, the numberplates are a wee bit in the future, but I expect to ask 247 developments. He has a number of CR plates in his list (none for Dun I -- but he'll do specials to order).

As to lining the best advice is to do it under a magnifier, then look at it from three feet away without your glasses! Also I've always done the base colour in a cellulose car spray (chosen to suit), then the lining in ordinary enamel, so you can mess about with the lining (and wipe it off) without affecting the base coat.

I'm some way from the cosmetic stage. At the moment my problem is getting a set of frames and wheels which work smoothly and fit under a DJH body.

Allan F

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 pm

David,
I am just catching up on correspondence, and thought you might be encouraged by this photo of the Caley Coaches Dunalastair, which I built a long time ago. So it can be done, and there is help if you need it.

Incidentally, I use Ian Maccormac for numberplates, and find him very good.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Nice to see such nice models, especially Caley ones :D Do any of you guys have any layout ideas for a small shunting layout using Caley prototypes?

David

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:56 pm

David,

Regarding a recommendation for your shunting layout, it depends on whether you fancy an industrial layout, or a rural station with freight activity.

The Caledonian Railway Association publishes a wide range of signalling diagrams for all sorts of locations, and these could be very useful for you, but to narrow the wide choice down a bit, you need to have some preference for town or country.

Jim

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 pm

I would like a rural setting with some freight and local passenger services(having bought two passenger loco kits before I knew what I was looking for :? ) I am going to join the Association at the end of the month :D

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm

David,

Well, in that case, something on the single lines in Angus might meet the bill, e.g. Dundee - Newtyle and thereabouts, or Perth - Crieff, or Dundee - Forfar. Or something along the Callendar and Oban.

Do join the Caledonian Railway Association though - there is plenty of knowledge, photos and archives there.

Jim

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Caleyman wrote:Well, in that case, something on the single lines in Angus might meet the bill, e.g. Dundee - Newtyle and thereabouts, or Perth - Crieff, or Dundee - Forfar.
Just what I was thinking. The Forfar - Brechin line had several interesting rural intermediate stations, eg Justinhaugh and Careston which had sidings and goods sheds, or the much more basic Tannadice which could merely boast a loading bay. I don't know what period you intend modelling, but for much of its life the branch had 5 passenger trains each way every day, with two daily pick-up freight workings each way.

DT

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 am

That sounds like a good idea, my dad was from Dundee, and I spent a lot of happy summer holidays there :D Maybe get in touch with some of my many relatives for some more info. :D

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:23 pm

[quote="allanferguson"]and didn't generally use point timbering;

Allan, how would the points be modelled?

David

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:56 pm

dgp1957 wrote:
allanferguson wrote:and didn't generally use point timbering;

Allan, how would the points be modelled?

David

See my response in your layout thread

Allan F

Return to “Starting in P4”