From the Carriage and Wagon works

Dave K

From the Carriage and Wagon works

Postby Dave K » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:50 pm

It has been some time since I have provided a post but works have been continuing.

As the reason for building the Bristol & North Somerset Rly was to transport coal from the Somerset coalfield you can never have enough private owners wagons. The publication of "Private Owner Wagons of Somerset" provides one a list of possible wagon one can build.

thumb_IMG_0171_1024.jpg

The Lamb Brewery N°1 is a Slaters' standard 7 plank Gloucester wagon with POW sides transfers with an Exactoscale underframe and brake gear. This is believed to have been only wagon the company owned.

thumb_IMG_0173_1024.jpg

The T.R.Freeman & Sons N°5 is again a Gloucester wagon, but this time a 6½ plank with again POW side transfers and Exactoscale underframe and brake gear. Apart from the collieries Freeman's were the only company known to have privately owner wagons on the Camerton branch.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guy Rixon

Re: From the Carriage and Wagon works

Postby Guy Rixon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:29 am

Nice to see some well-researched wagons. How do you rate the Exactoscale underframes?

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:Nice to see some well-researched wagons. How do you rate the Exactoscale underframes?

I like the Exactoscale underframe' and have built a number of wagons with them. At first I use there instruction when building them but over time have refined my building method to make things easier.

Dave

Dave K

Re: S4North vertical (Great Western V16)

Postby Dave K » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:36 am

For my entry in the Socially-Distance Challenge I choose three Great Western wagons that would have part of my demonstration at S4North, a dig. V16, a 10 ton unfitted van, a dig. O4 a 5 plank open and two 4 plank opens to form a wagon with a wood load and runner.

The first of these I started on was the V16 (photos of V16 plus a history or the diagram can be found in John Lewis article in GWRJ No. 67). The body are the sides Coopercarft van kit and the bonnet ventilators from the subsidiary kit. For the underframe instead of a Morgan Design kit I choose a Masokits Cross Cornered wagon subframe to represent the DC3 brakes and Morgan Design solebars.

photo 1.jpg

As I intend to use Exacotscale through axles some modification was required as the kit is designed for pin-point bearings with 26mm axles, not the 25mm through axles. Fortunately the Masokits subframe contains some etch washers which can be fitted between the hornblock carrier and the bearing and this together with a Exactoscale 1mm i/d washer removes and side play fro the shorted axels.

photo 2.jpg

Next the brake gear when some modifications are required.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dave K on Sun May 03, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:58 am

Don't forget to add your entry to the Registration Thread, Dave!

Good to have you joining in.
James Dickie

My workbench

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:29 am

Wizard of the Moor wrote:Don't forget to add your entry to the Registration Thread, Dave!

Good to have you joining in.

I thought I had but have realised that I posted something in the "What you did instead of S4N" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6855&sid=b17919854f3d50d6cbdae7068f223878#p73558

But maybe the van and opens won't count as they were items that would have appeared on my table at S4N.

Dave

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm

If you've already partially constructed the wagons then they aren't eligible for the Socially-Distanced Challenge. Sorry.

Nevermind, there's still plently of time to start something new :)
James Dickie

My workbench

Dave K

Re: S4North vertical (Great Western V16)

Postby Dave K » Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 am

The next job was is the brakes. The brake fret is a simple fold in half etch plus two additional etchs to provide additional push rod detail. The only problem are the safety loops. These are straight "U" shaped frets whereas the Great Western had a quite distinctive shaped safety loops, fortunately on a Southwark Bridge's etch there is a former to fold up safety loops.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

Next job is making up the DC brake gear.

Dave

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Wed May 06, 2020 10:36 am

I hope you can see from the attached photos the representation of the DC3 brake gear may not be as detailed as Morgan Design of Masokits systems of is still as fiddley.

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

Dave

Dave K

Transfer removal

Postby Dave K » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:22 pm

I have a Hornby Great Western ‘Toad’ which I am converting to P4 however the model comes with depot branding which I would like to remove and replace with a more appropriate depot.

Can anyone tell me a method of removing the transfer?

Dave.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:59 pm

T cut works ok but will leave a glossy patch, but this is an ideal surface for a new transfer. Nothing that can’t be solved with a drop of matt varnish.

Philip

Phil O

Re: Transfer removal

Postby Phil O » Mon May 08, 2023 5:48 pm

Dave K wrote:I have a Hornby Great Western ‘Toad’ which I am converting to P4 however the model comes with depot branding which I would like to remove and replace with a more appropriate depot.

Can anyone tell me a method of removing the transfer?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

How have you/ are you planning to convert your Toad?

Thanks

Phil

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Tue May 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Phil,
I had intended to use one of the Masokits ‘variable w/b sprung subframes’ units but because of the way footboard brackets are attached to the floor, as you can see from the attached photo, I went for the ‘universal sprung units’ but I’ve had to use one the long bar’s because of the Toad’s wheelbase.

IMG_0926.jpeg

Dave

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Thu May 11, 2023 12:35 pm

Thanks Dave, useful info.

Return to “Dave K”