D.R.A.G. and Burns Night?

Moderator: Rod Cameron

Captain Kernow

D.R.A.G. and Burns Night?

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:02 am

I see that there's been nothing posted on the DRAG sub-forum for over three years!

Well, all is well with us here in Devon and we have been and remain very active.

Last night was our annual Post-Christmas Dinner (I've never even tried arranging dates for such an even prior to Christmas), which was held at our now usual venue of The Dartmoor Halfway Inn, between Ashburton and Newton Abbot.

Sadly we were missing some of our regulars, mostly due to illness or family commitments, but 16 of us nevertheless turned out for a very enjoyable evening.

When I booked the date for the dinner, I hadn't realised at first that it was actually 'Burns Night' at the pub. Although one or two souls were initially a little taken aback at the thought of Wild Caledonian Shenanigans, further enquiries with The Management revealed that it would actually be a rather more gentle affair (this being South Devon, after all), with no bagpipes (probably), no mandatory kilt wearing or haggis racing.

And thus it turned out. A pair of local singers gave us some pleasantly-rendered and non-intrusive music with a (mostly) Scottish theme and everyone had a jolly good time.
20200125_190608.jpg
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

nberrington

Re: D.R.A.G. and Burns Night?

Postby nberrington » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Please confirm you had the haggis while listening to completely incomprehensible poetry.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:09 pm

nberrington wrote:Please confirm you had the haggis while listening to completely incomprehensible poetry.

Negative on both counts, Caller.
Tim M

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:21 pm

nberrington wrote:Please confirm you had the haggis while listening to completely incomprehensible poetry.

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/Assets/Poems_Songs/toahaggis.htm and no, I don't speak Lallans either...
Regards
Noel

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:31 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:

Not much of a Burns Night then was it Captain? LOL.

I'll be having my Haggis tonight with tatties and neeps, and I'm not even Scottish!

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Serjt-Dave wrote:
Captain Kernow wrote:

Not much of a Burns Night then was it Captain? LOL.

No, not at all. It was all rather pleasant.
Tim M

Return to “Devon Riviera (DRAG)”