Non Railway Modelling

How to add the atmosphere.
John Donnelly
Web Team

Non Railway Modelling

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Before getting back in to railway modelling, I spent some time modelling 1/35 scale armour and figures, a few examples:

Last edited by John Donnelly on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackBlack

Re: Non Railway Modelling

Postby JackBlack » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:06 pm

They look great. What paints/weathering materials are you using?

Nick Allport
CLAG

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm

Paints are all Tamiya and Vallejo acrylic, weathering is, for the most part, MIG powders.

essdee

Postby essdee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 pm

Oh, yes!
How have your 'framed' the Panzer? Are those real trees or a photo...?
What is the AFV in the other, frosted, scene?
Good to see these for a fresh perspective...

Steve

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Trees and frame were added by a friend in Photoshop.

Here is the original model photo and a couple more of the same diorama:

The other AFV is a Stug IV.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:42 pm

The snow and mud in the two AFV dioramas are first class, and exactly illustrate the point I sought to make in the 'Festive Thoughts' thread about cross-fertilisation of ideas and techniques between different areas of modelling interest. I've seen a few layouts that represent winter frosts, but the only snow covered layout that immediately springs to mind is Royston Vaisey.

John Donnelly wrote:The other AFV is a Stug IV.
That took me by suprise, though - to my eyes it looked very much like a StuG III Ausf E.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:47 pm

John Palmer wrote:The snow and mud in the two AFV dioramas are first class, and exactly illustrate the point I sought to make in the 'Festive Thoughts' thread about cross-fertilisation of ideas and techniques between different areas of modelling interest. I've seen a few layouts that represent winter frosts, but the only snow covered layout that immediately springs to mind is Royston Vaisey.

On the AFV diorama, snow is simply bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on. On the small diorama with the single figure, it has been mixed with white glue to give it some volume.

The mud is real soil, dried and mixed with PVA with a load of gloss varnish added after the PVA had dried.

John Palmer wrote: That took me by suprise, though - to my eyes it looked very much like a StuG III Ausf E.

You may well be right, it's over 10 years since I built it so memory has faded somewhat.

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:48 pm

These are superb John, I had no idea you were into such things.
You could easily win a pot at an IPMS show, I once judged at one when I had the old trade stand there, got my eyes well and truly opened by those guys and gals. :o

Dave Franks.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 pm

Cheers Dave, the armour guys do some stunning work.

I'm also in to second world war warships, initially in 1/350 scale:

[Image

and, more recently 1/200. These things are monsters, SLW Class 24 for scale in the second photo, each, by the time you take in to account the photo etch detail sets, have over 5,000 parts...

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:49 am

I'm always caught between the idea of the snapshot/diaorama and the movement. In one way, the movement of the loco/train is what gives its versilimitude in a static frame (It's weird how we can accept non -movement of every part of the scene but our preferred element) But it is also amazing that we enjoy watching the movement. And really, the suspension of disbelief is the first rule for all of this.

Andrew

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 pm

BrockleyAndrew wrote:I'm always caught between the idea of the snapshot/diaorama and the movement. In one way, the movement of the loco/train is what gives its versilimitude in a static frame (It's weird how we can accept non -movement of every part of the scene but our preferred element) But it is also amazing that we enjoy watching the movement. And really, the suspension of disbelief is the first rule for all of this.

I know some railway modellers who say that they can't see the point of making models such as these as nothing moves.

essdee

Postby essdee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Interesting! Yet I can almost 'hear' the sounds associated with that lovely MTB and its superb turning wake: the engine roar, the slap of the hull slicing through the waves, and not least, the churning of the wake itself.... A stunning recreation, John.

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 pm

John Donnelly wrote:I know some railway modellers who say that they can't see the point of making models such as these as nothing moves.

Not much of my railway modelling moves!

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm

These are really great dioramas, John. As for the maritime models, I love some of these old WW1 battleship and Dreadnought designs and really fancy trying one - Trumpeter's HMS Dreadnought or one of the Zvezda kits of very curious Russian warships of that era, such as the Varyag with four spindly rigging supported funnels, are very appealing, but when would I get any railway modelling done? I do find that when P4 modelling gets a bit too much, as it sometimes does, recourse to a plastic aircraft or ship kit helps to refresh the modelling mojo.

DT

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 pm

There was an interesting editorial in the November HMRS Journal. In it the point was made that finescale society journals (I wonder if he's referring to the News?) are full of articles that have little to do with railway modelling, and a lot to do with getting the things to work. Hence articles on motors, gearboxes, pickups, weighting, compensation, springing, electrics and control in general. The editor, John Minnis makes the point that "so much of our energy and ingenuity is taken up with these aspects of modelling that we begin to lose sight of of what we are trying to do in creating an historical model". He argues the case - quite convincingly, for static models.

I must say when one starts to think of this - where can it lead? No problem with fiddle yards (abolished), no problem with train lengths (do what you like), locomotives without motors in (think of those gorgeous Victorian locos too small to motorise). Food for thought.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:44 pm

essdee wrote:Interesting! Yet I can almost 'hear' the sounds associated with that lovely MTB and its superb turning wake:

Technically an S-boot [Schnellboot], known to the Allies as an E-boat [Enemy (motor) boat], driven by diesel engines as standard. I'm surprised she is not flying any Kriegsmarine ensigns...
Regards
Noel

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:55 pm

Noel wrote: I'm surprised she is not flying any Kriegsmarine ensigns...

That's because she's not quite finished, the gun in the mid section still needs painting and the gun at the bow hasn't yet been fitted.

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:29 pm

John Donnelly wrote:… and the gun at the bow hasn't yet been fitted.

Not un-prototypical...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-boat#/media/File:German_E-Boat_S_204_surrenders_at_Felixstowe_on_13_May_1945.jpg
Regards
Noel

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:24 am

John,
I think it is good to see a bit of military modelling myself, good modelling is good regardless of what it is.

What are the origins of the Panzer IV kit? It looks to be an a Ausf D or E refitted with a long 75mm and Schurzen.

As you may guess, I am also interested in German WW2 ground forces and my bookshelf groans under the weight of my military books too.

Regards,

Craig Warton

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am

Craig Warton wrote:
What are the origins of the Panzer IV kit? It looks to be an a Ausf D or E refitted with a long 75mm and Schurzen.

It's a Dragon kit for which I did a build review on a now defunct military modelling website.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Three of my finished ships:

US Liberty Ship in 1/350 scale:

Japanese destroyer IJN Yukikaze in 1/350:

HMS Argyll in 1/700 scale built for a friend who served aboard:

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:32 am

really enjoying this :thumb
Tim Lee

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 pm

Me too. We're seeing some wonderful models.

DT

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Never going to need this on the railway, but how do you do the sea? Especially the wash from the MTB?

Wonderful modelling!

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:14 pm

I was about to ask the same as Philip. The modelling of the water is intriguing - do tell.

Return to “Scenery and Structures”