None specific model products

Products you use that you would like to recommend.
SteamAle

Re: None specific model products

Postby SteamAle » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:47 pm

Tim
Not been on the forum as my email inbox has been bursting with lots of different subjects that have kept me busym Cumbrian Railways Association being the biggest.
My observation is that even the lightest (blonde) mix still results in a golden coating?
You are correct but a light dusting of colour helps to tone it down. I can live with it in O gauge but will wait and see how S4 goes, whenever I get round to building some track.
Philip

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 am

p[/quote]
I have used Shellac for French Polishing :? My observation is that even the lightest (blonde) mix still results in a golden coating :? ..... how does this impact upon ballast? My preferred method to date has been the Dave Franks method using a dropper and dilute PVA mix with detergent to break surface tension.[/quote]

I've never used Shellac but heard it talked about over the 40 years of being in clubs with older modellers (sorry guys), some rather nice buildings were produced with card.

Tim's mention of my ballasting needs a wee bit of clarification though, the PVA is B&Qs Diall 'Decorators' PVA. I use this after some experiments and found that this stuff doesn't set like concrete, rather more plastic like and doesn't discolour the granite ballast, the washing up liquid is cheap clear stuff not the best green Fairy liquid which leaves a green tint. The mix is 2 parts water to 1 part PVA with just a dash of detergent. The ash ballast is Early Learning Centre sand pit sand which is pre-washed so no bugs in it. PVA mix is 3 : 1 with a good dollop of black poster paint and no colouring needed afterwards except weathering later.
Hope that helps.
Yard pointwork on Wharfeside..JPG

BR Clan on Wharfeside.JPG

The BR flatbottom track is Bill Bedfords etched chairs on PCB sleepers. Remember that Bill?

Dave Franks

And yes it is EM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes ... that's the mix and method I use. EM...PM...P4....E4 ..... who cares when it looks that good :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “Recommendations”