Any Wheel and size!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Any Wheel and size!

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:11 am

That should just be the minimum width on the drawing, a lot of manufacturers went for the maximum.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

best33

Postby best33 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Have you thought of bonding the wheels into the tyres using additional printer resin and solidifying it with a UV lamp? In doing so you can use the machining marks on the inside of the tyre to lock the printed insert in place.

Mark Humphrys

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:01 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Previously I have made the wheels a tight fit in the tyre with a bit of glue so they stay put. I have used Gibson tyres in the past but if I can get tyres CNC machined the I would design the tyre so that the centre has a more positive location. The fit I can get on an axle is similar to that of a Gibson wheel.
David

How about making the centre a sliding fit into the tyre and locking them together with Loctite 603 or similar retainer? If the tyre is turned with a groove on its inside and the centre is printed with a matching groove in its outside, then the retainer should set as an annulus that both retains the tyre strongly and centres the tyre.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:54 am

best33 wrote:Have you thought of bonding the wheels into the tyres using additional printer resin and solidifying it with a UV lamp? In doing so you can use the machining marks on the inside of the tyre to lock the printed insert in place.

That doesn't work. The cured resin is opaque to UV, meaning the joint will cure as a skin on the outside but leave uncured resin on the inside.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa.biz

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:57 am

Guy Rixon wrote:How about making the centre a sliding fit into the tyre and locking them together with Loctite 603 or similar retainer? If the tyre is turned with a groove on its inside and the centre is printed with a matching groove in its outside, then the retainer should set as an annulus that both retains the tyre strongly and centres the tyre.

I've never been able to get 603 to hold cured resin. Mainly, I think, because of no being able to make a small enough gap between the tyre and the centre to be truly anaerobic.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa.biz

Return to “Steam Locomotives”