J50 Chassis

For new product announcements, recommendations, reviews and sourcing. Must be relevant to society members.
High Level Kits

J50 Chassis

Postby High Level Kits » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Test etches are now being produced for a replacement chassis for the Hornby J50. There are a number of frame options, and plain or fluted rods are included.

Working on the assumption that all OO modellers will be happy with the model as it comes, it will be EM/P4 only and to make life easier the frames come with hornblock cut-outs ready done, with designed-in CSB suspension. Cutting down the number of options has greatly reduced the complexity of both the instructions and the kit itself, and has eliminated a number of compromises that would be necessary to allow so many options to co-exist. Because there is no rigid option the design incorporates drop-out wheelsets and removable (cosmetic) spring units.

Also on test will be a very, cute little Armstrong Whitworth D10, which ran on The North Sunderland Railway. This weird-looking, tiny diesel electric had a transverse engine and central jackshaft, with open or closed cab options.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: J50 Chassis

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:27 pm

High Level Kits wrote:Test etches are now being produced for a replacement chassis for the Hornby J50. There are a number of frame options, and plain or fluted rods are included.

Working on the assumption that all OO modellers will be happy with the model as it comes, it will be EM/P4 only and to make life easier the frames come with hornblock cut-outs ready done, with designed-in CSB suspension. Cutting down the number of options has greatly reduced the complexity of both the instructions and the kit itself, and has eliminated a number of compromises that would be necessary to allow so many options to co-exist. Because there is no rigid option the design incorporates drop-out wheelsets and removable (cosmetic) spring units.

Also on test will be a very, cute little Armstrong Whitworth D10, which ran on The North Sunderland Railway. This weird-looking, tiny diesel electric had a transverse engine and central jackshaft, with open or closed cab options.

Chris,

Will these be on view at Scalefour North, in the middle of April?

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:53 pm

No Paul, I've just sent off the files. I was interested in the response a kit aimed specifically at the finescale modeller would get, so posted a bit earlier than usual.

I might have something to look at for Railex but it depends how well it goes together!...

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 pm

With alterations would this be suitable for the Lima model? No need for you to alter it.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Any progress on the chassis for the 14” Barclay that you had mentioned a while back? No pressure, just curious.

Cheers,

David

High Level Kits

Postby High Level Kits » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 am

Hello David,

In all honesty, I've not really looked at it recently because running the rest of the business is keeping me on the hop. I've located one up at Bowes Railway and they said I can crawl over it...

Like a politician annoyingly changing the subject to avoid uncomfortable issues... what I will tell you is the Armstrong D10 is almost due to relase and this crazy, tiny engine is looking very sweet, and the J50 is well on the way. I do still fully intend to teh Barclay though and it's next on the list.

Chris.

High Level Kits

Re: Chassis kits for CSB

Postby High Level Kits » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Here’s the latest on the CSB-only J50. I was hoping this would be the last model, but a couple of issues mean it’s likely there’ll be one more test.

Differences in frame profile, siderod types and brakeshaft arrangements are covered, meaning most variants of this class can be modelled. Early type brake pull-rods (one pull-rod either side) may also be included even though, at this stage, the bodyshell does not exist in RTR form.

The underside shows removable springs - dummy springs units slot into the spacers with one length of twisted wire, or a single nut and bolt, used to prevent them sliding out.

It should be on the stand at EM North and Scalefourum...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 am

That looks very nice Chris and CSB to boot.... I did a very similar scratch built CSB chassis under a J52 as the yard pilot for the late Roy Jackson's Retford and even he acknowledged the running qualities of the chassis. We were working on an article for MRJ about suspension with views on rigid vs compensation vs live springing vs CSB with me doing the CSB bit. Unfortunately Roy never got to finish it.

J52 on sleeper.JPG

One of the photos taken for possible use in the article, J52 before varnishing and weathering but also climbing over the corny old sleeper to show the CSB thing.

All the best Roy, we miss you.

Dave Franks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Re: Chassis kits for CSB

Postby Horsetan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:12 pm

High Level Kits wrote:....at this stage, the bodyshell does not exist in RTR form......

If people can't wait for a broken Hornby one to turn up on eBay, they could always try shoving the old Lima or K's bodyshells on it.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Product Information”