Pre-Grouping locomotive photographs

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Pre-Grouping locomotive photographs

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Chapeau to someone on the GERS email list...

A lovely collection of early locomotive photographs, including a fair number of Great Eastern ones, and I believe a goodly quantity of GNR as well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hisgett/albums/72157626617067470/with/5674057640/

Click on the images, and they are downloadable.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

JFS

Re: Pre-Grouping locomotive photographs

Postby JFS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Interesting!

Does anyone know anything about this:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hisgett/5 ... 617067470/

I am no LNWR enthusiast but this is new to me and I ask because it looks suspiciously like a double chimney in a photo taken before / about 1900. That would be interesting because I always thought that the first double chimney dated from 1910.

Best wishes,

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm

JFS wrote:Interesting!

Does anyone know anything about this:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hisgett/5 ... 617067470/

I am no LNWR enthusiast but this is new to me and I ask because it looks suspiciously like a double chimney in a photo taken before / about 1900. That would be interesting because I always thought that the first double chimney dated from 1910.

Best wishes,

Howard,

Scrolling down, there is a comment:

"Hampden' was originally built at Crewe as a Ramsbottom 'Newton' class 2-4-0 in Nov. 1866. It was 'renewed' by Webb in June 1892, becoming an 'Improved Precedent'. The experimental twin chimney was fitted in 1897, it is uncertain how long it was retained.1532 was withdrawn in April 1911. One other LNWR 4-4-0 compound No. 1502 'Black Prince' also received a twin chimney.

It sounds well-researched, but I haven't dug out my copy of "LNWR Locomotives" to plough through and check.

HTH,
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm

That photo of Hampden (slightly cropped) is in Talbot's 'LNWR Engines', along with another of it showing a different (and slightly less inelegant) design that was also fitted to the 4-4-0 Jubilee Iron Duke. Ted says "(Hampden) seems to have run with it for several months if not years. How well the device achieved its purpose is not known, but it was not adopted for any other LNWR engine". That obviously excludes Iron Duke, but it appears (thank goodness!) that the experiment ended there.
David L-T

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:31 am

Thanks for this Gents. I am guessing that since Webb was still in charge at that date, this was yet another of his useless inventions. If that is the case, there should be a patent in his name somewhere, but I could not see it in this list: http://www.steamindex.com/people/webb.htm#patents Since we heard no more of it, we can assume it was no more successful than his wet ash pan or his intermediate combustion chamber etc. - not least since exhaust system inventions have been very well documented and researched so this one clearly died a very quiet death!

Best Wishes,

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 am

How about: 29240/1896?

"Improvements in the construction and working of locomotive engines and boilers. Applied 21 December 1896. Accepted 6 November 1897.
The dividing of the smoke box of a locomotive boiler into two independent compartments, each compartment enclosing a portion of the discharge ends of the tubes and providing each compartment with a separate blast pipe and chimney."
Regards
Noel

Return to “Steam Locomotives”