G.W.R P22 / BR(W) Herring ballast hopper.

steamraiser

G.W.R P22 / BR(W) Herring ballast hopper.

Postby steamraiser » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:48 am

As some of you may be aware my holy grail search has been for a number of years to be able to find enough information to have a 4mm kit produced for the P22 ballast hopper.
I have had some assistance in the past which I appreciated but have never been able to find any definitive information to produce a correctly detailed kit.
About two years ago I finally acquired the information I needed.
I was also very fortunate that Justin Newitt of Rumney Models fame had joined the Bristol S4 group, and when showed the information that had been finally acquired agreed to take the project on.
This kit has taken approx. two years to bring to fruition.
A few days ago he sent me the attached pictures of the 4mm wagon test build and last night brought the test build along to our meeting.
P22.1.jpg

P22.2.jpg

P22.3.jpg

To say that I am over the moon is an understatement.
This kit can be built to 00 / EM / P4 standards and is designed with a fully sprung chassis.
Both Justin and I are hoping to launch this kit at Scaleforum this September from the Rumney Models stand.
The first P22's were built in 1945 and as far as I can see from Paul Bartlett's wagon site lasted in use up to 1984.
Although these wagons were primarily a G.W.R / BR(W) design there are photos of rakes of them on the Somerset & Dorset. There is also evidence in Paul Bartlett's archive of them further afield in their latter years.
We estimate that the cost of this kit will be somewhere around the £35 mark for each wagon.
It would be useful to have some indication of the number of people who would be interested in buying a kit at Scaleforum or soon after indicate their interest by e-mailing me at ga007d9065@blueyonder.co.uk to enable us to gauge how many to order in the initial batch.

Many thanks

Gordon A

iak

Re: G.W.R P22 / BR(W) Herring ballast hopper.

Postby iak » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Whooooosh :thumb
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:19 pm

That is rather nice Gordon. Modelling East Anglia makes it a bit of a challenge to justify one but I'm sure it will sell well if the number of ballast trains I see on layouts is anything to go by. Good luck with it.

John.
The second best priest

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Good news Gordon
I think I could use a couple for Cheddar...

Shame for my bank balance that they ran in rakes of 10!!!

waveydavey

Postby waveydavey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Lord Colnago wrote:That is rather nice Gordon. Modelling East Anglia makes it a bit of a challenge to justify one but I'm sure it will sell well if the number of ballast trains I see on layouts is anything to go by. Good luck with it.

John.

Don’t be so sure John. I found a picture on Facebook a couple of years ago of a full rake of these at South Bank in Middlesbrough in 1980 or thereabouts. Of course they might not have been so widely travelled in earlier times.
Modelling Clackmannanshire Railways in 1975
http://waveydaveysmodelmuddle.wordpress.com/

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 pm

The GW built 250, and BR another 50. They stayed on the WR until the later 1960s, apparently, but after that they travelled more widely - David Larkin photographed a GW built one at Carlisle LMR in 1970 and a BR one at Hoo Junction SR in 1968 [both shown in "BR Departmental Rolling Stock"], GW ones at Hoo Junction in 1970, Nuneaton LMR in 1973 and Chester LMR in 1968, and a BR one at Lostock Hall LMR in 1970 [shown in "Civil Engineers Wagons Vol. 1"]. The story is that staff used to operating hand wheels on a platform at the end had little liking for operating a bar at ground level, regarding it as significantly less safe, resulting in them being returned to the WR.

waveydavey wrote:I found a picture on Facebook a couple of years ago of a full rake of these at South Bank in Middlesbrough in 1980 or thereabouts. Of course they might not have been so widely travelled in earlier times.

There was another design of VB Herring built by BR in 1952-4, half of which were allocated to the ENE Regions and branded for Lackenby Slag Plant on Teesside; I've not seen the photo, but it may well have been of this design rather than the GW version.
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Well done Gordon and Justin for sticking with it!

They did certainly occur singly; there's a lovely picture, unfortunately undated, in Mike Lloyd's Tanat Valley book of ex. Cambrian 0-6-0 No. 898 shunting one in the quarry sidings at Nantmawr.

Now my proposed next layout has a quarry branch...……. :D

Steve

garethevans1986

Postby garethevans1986 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Awesome piece of work as usual! That shot of the underframe is beautiful.

Gareth
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions

Member of the Barrowmore Model Railway Group
Diesel Crank

Return to “Wagons”