Brassmasters J94

hughesp87

Re: Brassmasters J94

Postby hughesp87 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks for that reassurance Gordon - I haven't got the guts to start again with it, so it will stay as it is!

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi Jim,

I have bought J94 wheels recently from Alan Gibson. The first set I asked for replacements for the Hornby J94 which my son Dave has - they look pretty good, but have the unusual diameter of axle which Hornby use. :? The last time I bought another set from Alan Gibson, but forgot to ask for the usual diameter of axle 1/8th" as I was using another chassis by Comet under a NB models body kit and instead ended up with another set of ones suitable for the Hornby engine.

However I have reworked them at home and the chassis is now running. :( Bit of a problem, probably due to me not stipulating the correct axle diameter, what I don't know is whether Gibson has an 1/8" axle version on the list as the Hornby one does not even seem to be on the list (Unless there has been an update recently that I do not know about. I have two others going through the paint shop at the moment, but they have Mike Sharman wheels and I have only been updating them - one is an Airfix kit and another another cast kit from NB models - all four engines will make an interesting comparison in different liveries and chimneys etc. although none of them will stand scrutiny when seen alongside your own locomotive. :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work! You might fancy a trip on my new layout Scott's Road, when I get it out on the road next year. Spent today building a new carrying frame for the layout and have made it slightly too wide by 3/4". :o :shock: :? :!: Doh! Fortunately I have assembled it using bolts and wing nuts which will be replaced by rivets in the end, so I will be able to make the alteration needed. - just as well I tried to fit it into the car before doing any more to it! Will have another go at it tomorrow.

Allan :)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:21 pm

AGs wheels have been in the catalogue for ages, I have both the conversion set and the normal 1/8* axle versions.
Conversion set catalogue page 27 item 4800/13, 1/8" axle page 7 item 4851N.
(page nos from the 2018 issue currently on the website for download).
Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Once again thanks Keith, :thumb

not sure how I managed to miss this, they are a pretty good representation.

Allan

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Several years ago now DJ models appeared with much fanfare (Although only in one place if we are being completely honest) and announced a brand new J94 model. This was of interest to me as 2 of them were used by the NCB in the local area. While it would have been a nice to have I was never going to go for the RTR effort but i did hope that if it was good enough it might see a few unstarted Brassmasters kits appear which would be a little more up my street.
In the end this didn't really happen so the idea was kind of abandoned until the good folk at Brassmasters mentioned they had a unfinished test build of their kit somewhere. Money changed hands and a slightly different style of project was formed to what I've done in the past.

So this is what i was presented with (albeit with a Giesel chimney that I replaced with a RT models casting) and a little box of spare parts. I've never finished a half started loco kit before and with no instructions and not knowing what bits I didn't have it was going to be a bit of an adventure.

The easy route would be to just add the body detailing and finished what I had but the chassis was missing most of its representation of valve gear and I didn't have any of these bits in my little box of spares.

The chassis as supplied.
My friend Les supplied me with a copy of the original instructions (which sort of helped a little) and members of this forum kindly provided pictures of the etches, some finished models and some prototype pictures so I set to work.

The detailed up body, using prototype pictures as a guide.

The Chassis. I used a Brassmasters inside motion kit, shortened by 3mm and simplified. The prototype locos seeming to have a much more rudimentary arrangement than the LMS locos the Brassmasters kit is intended for. I also couldn't use the original central pivoted rocking beam compensation so I have sprung the front two axles from a central pivot on either side instead.
Last edited by jim s-w on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Lovely and with the internal valve gear, much more advanced than what I am building, although I have put some rudimentary stuff between the frames. My engines are all on the back burner at the moment while I get on with layout building.Hoping to have it at Scalefour North next year with phase one finished. I intend having one part of the layout being free for anyone with suitable locos or stock to bring something along to run. :)

Allan

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote: My engines are all on the back burner at the moment while I get on with layout building.Hoping to have it at Scalefour North next year with phase one finished.

Do you think you will be uploading anymore progress photos/descriptions to your own thread Allan .... it would be very interesting to see the progress and how the baseboard construction is holding up :thumb
Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Tim, :)

the answer is yes. I have been so busy lately with so many projects on as well as my own there has been little time to upload anything.I have been keeping a record and plan to put up most of the techniques I am using. I am hoping to have completed one of the scenic boards today, although it will have a temporary set of crossing gates, but I will try to post something showing that board on my thread soon as it will give you an idea of progress. Over the last few months I have been finishing off wagons, about 90 of them, this is just for the Wemyss side of the layout. They are pretty much all built and weathered to a basic degree, but could do with a bit more detailed weathering.

Sorry I have not been contributing as much as usual to the Forum, but I have been following most of the current threads with some interest including this one. Unfortunately I do not have any of the Brassmasters J94's myself, but do have a variety of other makes - there will be at least 4 of the engines working on the Wemyss / NCB system when the layout is up and running. 2 NB models, 1 Airfix, 1 Hornby. They are all waiting to be chipped and painted.

Hope you are all making good progress with your own projects.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 am

Tim Lee

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi Jim and Tim,
I have posted a couple of photos of progress on my Wemyss layout here https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=5510&p=69423#p69423

Sorry no photos of the J94's yet Jim, I think it likely that it will be November at least until I can get all the locos finished. Tim I hope this is enough to whet your appetite!

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 pm

When I picked up my nearly finished J94 kit it came with an already assembled Branchlines Gearbox. Try as I might I just couldn't get on with it. For some reason it seemed to have very little torque but this wasn't sacrificed for speed as it didn't really have much of that either )perhaps the energy was being used bu by the noise it generated?). So admitting defeat I swapped it for a High Level Road Runner +. What a difference that made!

Another little problem I came across was the lack of space between the inside motion and the springs I fitted on the front 2 axles. I had used a short handrail knob in the same way that the advocates of CSB systems use but it was all just a little bit too tight for comfort. So I ditched that and just soldered a couple of springs to the inside of the chassis - Number 10 guitar springs for the centre axle and number 12 for the front bearing on the top of the axles. Anyone with any kind of knowledge of how things should be done are probably reading the rest of this post from behind a sofa but it works so that's fine in my eyes!

Anyway its done so here's a few pictures.

Here's a very short video of the inside motion at work

Below are a few evening images.

Another little video - this time a spot of shunting. There's a few stutters which I am hoping a little more running in will iron out.

Jim Smith-Wright

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Really nice Jim :thumb

I can see me retro fitting one having seen your locomotive running. Excellent! I do love the night time mood and often run Dubbieside like that in the evening, the layout was fitted with its own lighting from the first - well worth it. When is your layout to be exhibited again? I will look forward to seeing it at some point.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks Alan

This evening I found the tiny pin I use to set the quartering was ever so lightly touching the coupling rod. Filled a gnats whisker off and the slight hesitation has now gone! The littlest things sometimes. ;)

Brettell Road is next out at scalefour north next year.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:43 am

Hi Jim, :D

It is always the little things when it comes to engines. Are your locos DCC by the way? I may have normal DC for the first year just to get everything working, but have plans for adding DCC ASAP. The Buckhaven/Methil branch will be switchable for either for anyone who wants to run something up and down at a show.

I am always down at Scalefourum, normally with one of the layouts I am associated with - this year I am down with Burntisland, so will get a chance to see it when I come down next year, although I have no layout commitment or demo stand next year for the show, which is unusual, can't remember when that last happened, it must be about 20 years! :x

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:43 am

Is the second video meant to be this one?
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks Keith for that, :)

the video gives a good idea of the layout in operation and something of the industrial backdrop which is very convincing. The moribund branch heading towards the tunnel, and all the detail - the extra supports for the walls and convincing track-work, similar to what I am hoping to achieve with my own new layout. Everything to the same standard as well. If I manage to do as well I will be happy Jim.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:35 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Is the second video meant to be this one?

Yes, thanks Keith
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:37 pm

Allan Goodwillie wrote:Hi Jim, :D

It is always the little things when it comes to engines. Are your locos DCC by the way? I may have normal DC for the first year just to get everything working, but have plans for adding DCC ASAP. The Buckhaven/Methil branch will be switchable for either for anyone who wants to run something up and down at a show.

Yes they are. All the coupled locos use TCS stay alive decoders which give about 10 seconds of running when removed from the power supply.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

down_under

Postby down_under » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:25 pm

jim s-w wrote:Several years ago now DJ models appeared with much fanfare (Although only in one place if we are being completely honest) and announced a brand new J94 model. This was of interest to me as 2 of them were used by the NCB in the local area. While it would have been a nice to have I was never going to go for the RTR effort but i did hope that if it was good enough it might see a few unstarted Brassmasters kits appear which would be a little more up my street.
In the end this didn't really happen so the idea was kind of abandoned until the good folk at Brassmasters mentioned they had a unfinished test build of their kit somewhere. Money changed hands and a slightly different style of project was formed to what I've done in the past.

So this is what i was presented with (albeit with a Giesel chimney that I replaced with a RT models casting) and a little box of spare parts. I've never finished a half started loco kit before and with no instructions and not knowing what bits I didn't have it was going to be a bit of an adventure.

The easy route would be to just add the body detailing and finished what I had but the chassis was missing most of its representation of valve gear and I didn't have any of these bits in my little box of spares.

The chassis as supplied.
My friend Les supplied me with a copy of the original instructions (which sort of helped a little) and members of this forum kindly provided pictures of the etches, some finished models and some prototype pictures so I set to work.

The detailed up body, using prototype pictures as a guide.

The Chassis. I used a Brassmasters inside motion kit, shortened by 3mm and simplified. The prototype locos seeming to have a much more rudimentary arrangement than the LMS locos the Brassmasters kit is intended for. I also couldn't use the original central pivoted rocking beam compensation so I have sprung the front two axles from a central pivot on either side instead.

Hey Jim,

Following on from the posts on facebook I've tracked down your build. Would you be able to indicate where you shortened the brassmasters motion to fit? Was it on the connecting rod/eccentric end or was it the piston rod/slide bar end ?

Cheers

James

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:19 pm

I dunno, ive been to sleep since then!

Let me compare it with my Kirtley and ill get back to you.
Jim Smith-Wright

Return to “Steam Locomotives”