Show attacked

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
jim s-w

Show attacked

Postby jim s-w » Sat May 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Probably the worst case scenario for the modelling community, the stuff of nightmares

https://www.facebook.com/10598413374357 ... 89?sfns=mo
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

BryanJohnson

Re: Show attacked

Postby BryanJohnson » Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 am

This is currently the headline news story under England on the BBC News website.

Market Deeping News.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48326572
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun May 19, 2019 3:45 pm

This will complicate sewriously the issue of security at shows. I lived just outside Stamford for 3 years and it had never struck me as a place where this sort of vandalism would ever happen. It sickens me.
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc
John
Last edited by John Bateson on Sun May 19, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun May 19, 2019 3:52 pm

The club’s page on RM Web has a link to a Just Giving site set up by the club.

Philip

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm

John Bateson wrote:This will complicate seriously the issue of security at shows. I lived just outside Stamford for 3 years and it had never struck me as a place where this sort of vandalism would ever happen. It sickens me.
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/market-deeping-mrc
John

Not just the security. The insurance premiums are probably going to rise.

Meanwhile, Just Giving will be creaming its usual 5-10% off any donations.

Monty wrote:A lot to be said for public flogging .....

Why stop there?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Bring back the stocks?
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun May 19, 2019 6:35 pm

The just Giving page I looked at said clearly that ‘no fee would be taken for this page.’ Whatever, it’s as good a way as any of co-ordinating donations.

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Donations are all very well, but what are you donating for? It feel very much like the latest trend - something happens so throw money at it. Surely it would make sense, rather than jumping in with cash, to contact the club, give them time to assess their position, then tailor help to their plan. Money might be one way to help, but equally other, more practical steps could be more suited and they will be best guided by the Club.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun May 19, 2019 7:10 pm

David, I agree, but in this case the main donation page was set up by the club itself. There is a limit to what one can do from a distance, but from the amount raised some it does seem that the modelling community has a lot of caring people in it. Which I guess we knew anyway.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sun May 19, 2019 8:07 pm

The target sum was a modest £500. Last time I looked they had raised Around £1900.
I suspect the figure chosen was probably to cover the lost revenue though having to cancel. Doubtless there will be a news bulletin on their website, in due course.

Unfortunately, there is little that can be done about the many years of diligent work destroyed.
LesG

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 pm

It's up to over £30,000 now and rising.....

DT

RichardS

Postby RichardS » Sun May 19, 2019 9:50 pm

David Thorpe wrote:It's up to over £30,000 now and rising.....

DT

This does start to seem a large sum of additional money when presumably the insurance of the club, other exhibitors and traders would normally cover - in strictly financial terms - their relevant losses.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 pm

This strikes me as a slight worry when insurance assessments are made. Could it possibly affect how insurers view the loss? Just now it was over £36K...

Philip

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 pm

I gave a bit, quite picky where I donate to and I'm not one for advertising the fact either but this is an exception to me.

£36k I doubt will cover all the loss, not really. Add up ALL the locomotives, especially 0 gauge and above, components, electrics, boards etc, decades of work.....it's an ocean drop. Depends how many layouts and loco's of course, could be less.

Agreed on the post about just throwing money with no thought, yet on this one it should help compensate a little.

Can't get back what was lost but maybe those who have lost their models can have more back as a compensation to build new or the club use it to update security or build better....or...ya know, keep the ideas rolling.

What else jo public supposed to do, build them back up!?

So I think a bit of financial support is realistically all we can do apart from finding the yobbos and connecting their testicles to cattle prods....assuming they were male.
Last edited by Knuckles on Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 am

It is almost 2 years since the vandalism on the NYMR caused great anger among many rail enthusiasts as well as a large number of the general population who were keen to help.
In the current case, donations seem to be coming from around the globe, some of them substantial, some not so large but an average of around £17 over 2500 contributors which I feel is a remarkable burst of generosity from model rail enthusiasts and the wider general public, many of whom have chosen to remain anonymous.
After such a devastating and heart-breaking attack on the hobby it is indeed heart warming to have seen such a response. All we can really do when at some distance from Stamford and Market Deeping , is to make a monetary contribution. We can't solve all these sorts of problems by throwing money at them but the current amount (£42,000) should give this smallish organisation some scope to plan and produce a recovery in a much shorter time scale than would have been possible without the money after they have covered their commitments, not all of which will have been insured.

As in the case of the NYMR, it may well be that the culprits are teenagers, possibly high on something, but we need to ask what they were doing out of their homes at 03:30am away from any kind of parental supervision - indeed the parents (or their appropriate adults) may well find themselves liable in law.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Mon May 20, 2019 10:39 am

John Bateson wrote:It is almost 2 years since the vandalism on the NYMR caused great anger among many rail enthusiasts as well as a large number of the general population who were keen to help.
In the current case, donations seem to be coming from around the globe, some of them substantial, some not so large but an average of around £17 over 2500 contributors which I feel is a remarkable burst of generosity from model rail enthusiasts and the wider general public, many of whom have chosen to remain anonymous.
After such a devastating and heart-breaking attack on the hobby it is indeed heart warming to have seen such a response. All we can really do when at some distance from Stamford and Market Deeping , is to make a monetary contribution. We can't solve all these sorts of problems by throwing money at them but the current amount (£42,000) should give this smallish organisation some scope to plan and produce a recovery in a much shorter time scale than would have been possible without the money after they have covered their commitments, not all of which will have been insured.

As in the case of the NYMR, it may well be that the culprits are teenagers, possibly high on something, but we need to ask what they were doing out of their homes at 03:30am away from any kind of parental supervision - indeed the parents (or their appropriate adults) may well find themselves liable in law.

John

Might this be a clue? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48300157

regards

Alan

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon May 20, 2019 11:13 am

Alan Turner wrote: ... Might this be a clue? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48300157 ...

One wonders what the Local Authority Social (services)Engineers have been up to for the last twenty or more years.
LesG

Brian T

Postby Brian T » Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 am

Now £53.5K; Monday 20th @ 12:30

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Story hit the newspapers today.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon May 20, 2019 3:27 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Story hit the newspapers today.

Even got a mention on Good Morning Britain on ITV this morning.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon May 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Monty wrote:
families who are totally incapable of instilling respect, discipline & decency. The culprits will get some pathetic community sentence & told not to do it again.

Sounds like families whose sons join the Bullingdon Club. An easy route to become Prime Minister ?

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm

This thread has morphed into a hanging and flogging. I think we should keep on the topic.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 pm

DSC05284.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon May 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Tim V wrote:This thread has morphed into a hanging and flogging. I think we should keep on the topic.

Tim,
:thumb
LesG

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 pm

The event has attracted a remarkable amount of national media interest. BBC R4 6 p.m. News had what was probably the most grown up handling of it, while Sky News dealt with it in a positive, grown up, way.

Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 lunchtime Radio 2 programme also featured a piece in which Tim Watson of the MRC spoke eloquently, while JV showed what might be considered the "Man on the Clapham Omnibus's" lack of understanding of scale or gauge. Two enthusiast's, rather more representative of the general public's impression of a railway modeller, called in after Tim's piece and there was also a quote from a call by another, younger, modeller.

Some of the media pieces were more of the "grown men crying because their models have been broken". Whether all this exposure will have a longer term positive effect on the public's perception of this hobby remains to be seen. This event also calls into the question the security of some of the facility used for model railway (and other community, club or group) events. Likewise, the provision made by show organiser will need reviewing, something insurers may look into.

While the scratch and kit built models ruined can never be satisfactorily replaced, at least the £75K so far pledges will hopefully help the Market Deeping Club to move forward in a positive way.

Return to “Exhibitions”