The 6th Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day – Saturday March 9th 2019

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Over on RMWeb, the EMGS (in the guise of Dave Franks, occasional poster in our Guest Book here) has announced...

We are pleased to announce that the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society are holding in March 2019 another Skills Day event. This is the first one to take place in Scotland and builds on the successful formula of an informal, informative gathering of modellers. As in previous years, the EMGS involvement is again being funded by the bequest of Chris Kedgley, former Chairman of the EM Gauge Society and active member of the Scalefour Society who passed away in June 2013.

Linlithgow is an attractive historic town on the Lochside, almost midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, with good access from all directions. The M9 serves the town. Four electric trains an hour run from Edinburgh, two an hour from Glasgow. The Low Port centre is across the road from the station. Even in March, for a weekend break the area has much to offer, from Linlithgow Palace, the three Forth Bridges and the Kelpies to the Falkirk Wheel, not to mention the convenient cities of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling.

As ever, the emphasis will be on showing and telling. So, the Skills Day 2019 in Linlithgow will feature a dozen experienced modellers demonstrating a wide range of skills together with innovative ideas and four layouts will show some of these in practice.

Date: Saturday March 9th 2019

Location: Low Port Centre, 1 Blackness Road, Linlithgow, West Lothian, EH49 7HZ
Web: https://activewestlo...low-port-centre

Opening Times
: 10.00am to 4.30pm

Cost: Entry is free, but donations are encouraged.

Catering: Teas and coffees will be available. For lunch, a wide variety of hostelries and cafes is close at hand.

Demonstrations mix innovative techniques with new slants on established skills, and will cover: innovative turntable operation, mechatronics (the integration of electronics and mechanisms), loco chassis construction, ‘stay-alive’ enhancements for DCC locos, modelling rock formations, weathering stone and other materials, controlling servo points, plastic card modelling with the Silhouette cutter, 3D printing, carriage lighting.

Layouts:

[*] Wharfeside (EM) – layout under construction. See how the baseboards and track were built, as well as CSB chassis locos performing their magic.
[*] United Mills (P4) – a finished small scenic layout, which welcomes visiting locomotives
[*]Kettlewell (P4) – a scenic model with prototypical operation in two eras, featuring an innovative fiddle yard and mechanical interlocking of turnouts and signals
[*]Cadhay Sidings (P4) – part of this Southern Railway layout which demonstrates the use of digital systems for realistic block instruments and realistic signalling.
[*]Castle Caereinion (009) – a different gauge illustrating scenic techniques

Disabled access: available

Accommodation: A wide variety at all price ranges is available. If researching on the web, look for the adjacent Falkirk as well as Linlithgow, or Queensferry on the River Forth.

This event is being organised by the various area groups in Scotland and the Borders of the EM Gauge Society and the Scalefour Society http://www.emgs.org and http://www.scalefour.org

Contact: Dave Franks Tel: 01698 821272, Email: [url]davefranksemgs@aol.com[/url]
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

raynolton

Re: The 6th Chris Kedgley Memorial Skills Day – Saturday March 9th 2019

Postby raynolton » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Just for the sake of accuracy, it's UNITED MILLS , not UNION MILLS that will be appearing (see Snooze S4N Guide for more info). My dear friend Jim Summers' computer evidently steadfastly refuses to obey his commands to title it correctly. So he tells me.......

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:14 pm

raynolton wrote:Just for the sake of accuracy, it's UNITED MILLS , not UNION MILLS that will be appearing (see Snooze S4N Guide for more info). My dear friend Jim Summers' computer evidently steadfastly refuses to obey his commands to title it correctly. So he tells me.......

Thanks Ray. All corrected now.

Although I was hopeful that it was related to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Mills#Snaefell_Mountain_course_location

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Here is the up-to-date list of the delights we have planned for the Skills Day this coming Saturday in Linlithgow.
All welcome!

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:30 pm

As we might expect a very impressive programme. Sadly a bit too far for me to go, especially since I was at the Glasgow show just two weeks back but I am sure it will be well worth attending.

Terry Bendall

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:06 am

Am I right in thinking that there will be no trade presence (so I needn't bring much cash with me)?

DT

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:58 pm

David,
This is not a show with trade, and indeed we are not allowed to trade under our agreement with the Low Port.
It is an informal show for modellers to share ideas and enjoy what others have been achieving, a Skills Day, in other words.
So, you'll only need some cash for lunch and perhaps a donation towards costs if you enjoy yourself. I am sure you will.

Latest version of the programme attached.

See you tomorrow,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jasp

Postby jasp » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Great day at Linlithgow - something for everyone
Thanks to Jim Summers and team
Jim P ( a totally unbiased opinion!)

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Just a quick thank you to all who were involved in the organisation and operation of the Skills Day today. Very worthwhile in my view and much appreciated. Looking forward to the next one already!

John

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:04 pm

I can only echo what the others have said. I had a most enjoyable day at the Linlithgow event. A bloody long way to go from Kent but worth it. The wife had a lovely time in Edinburgh whilst I was at the show. So's all good.

Thanks to the organisers for this event.

Dave.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Yes, an excellent event that was both enjoyable and instructive - well done, and many thanks to, the organisers. I've certainly been inspired to get on with some things that I've been putting off and as a result an order will shortly be winging its way to Mr Seymour in Oldham. My only regret is that (in common with all society shows) there were no name badges and so most of the time I was unable to recognise people with whom I was talking, and perhaps missed the opportunity to meet and chat with people who I know merely by their virtual presence on this and other forums.

DT

Return to “Exhibitions”