Congratulations to Dave Franks et al.

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87Stores

Congratulations to Dave Franks et al.

Postby Proto87Stores » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm

I just saw today's BBC article on "How to build the perfect model railway". A brief video and pictorial overview of model railway happenings in Scotland.

Nice piece of overall Model Railway hobby marketing efforts. :)

Andy

Julian Roberts

Re: Congratulations to Dave Franks et al.

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Agree absolutely. Also may I offer the thought that congratulations could be due to the BBC for making a Reithian balance of that great man's original mantra for the Beeb - to inform educate and entertain. I ought to confess they are my employers! - if for not much longer.

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Well I missed that being at Modelrail Scotland, and not getting back very quickly courtesy of Scotrail delays and cancellations. What was it on in the hope of catching it on catch-up!

Lindsay

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:59 pm

But doesn't the interactive picture of Alloa show just why P4 is so desirable!

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:46 pm

Will,

I would generally agree with everything you say, but I didn't notice the gauge of Alloa when I watched the video nor looking at the images - even in the flesh you can tend to overlook the gauge, it's a lovely layout. Dewsbury Midland is another. However, there were no derailments, so that was a giveaway that I missed. Ouch!

Lindsay

jasp

Postby jasp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 am

I may be wrong but I think Alloa is EM
Jim P

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:38 am

jasp wrote:I may be wrong but I think Alloa is EM
Jim P

I'm sure it's 00 - and an excellent example as to how handbuilt 00 track can be mistaken for both EM and P4.

DT

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:44 am

It's only EM if they've done a gauge conversion overnight a la GWR; always billed as OO, although I agree it is difficult to tell from the look of the track. Its successor will also be narrow gauge, I understand.
David L-T

iak

Postby iak » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:14 am

Excellent stuff and indeed, well done to all.
The gauge frankly has never worried me, not when the standard of the layout is so high.
I'm actually Glasgow bound as I type this, I'd better make some proper plaudits known...
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

jasp

Postby jasp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:08 am

David
You are correct
Confirmed by Dave Franks this morning
Jim P

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am

David Thorpe wrote:
jasp wrote:I may be wrong but I think Alloa is EM
Jim P

I'm sure it's 00 - and an excellent example ...

As Indeed it is
... as to how handbuilt 00 track can be mistaken for both EM and P4.

Until you get to that scissors cross over which does rather shout at you. Actually I agree that well made hand crafted track in 00 can be visibly very effective... most of the time.

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pm

I do have a curiosity question for Alloa experts. Is the double junction diamond just near the trap point a switched crossing? I assume it should be, even in 00.

16.5 mm gauge is kinda OK for we HO scale chaps ;) However, I have (and will continue to) successfully run 4mm vehicles with P4 wheels set to 16.5 mm gauge but otherwise to P4 standards on my own 16.5 mm track. From the side, there is no apparent difference in appearance. And converting even commercial 00 FB trackwork to same is very easy with drop in replacement common crossings and reset check rails.

One optical possible illusion effect that I have noticed is that lower height rail gives me the impression of a wider gauge. Code 55 vs. code 82 in my case. I wonder of that would make UK 00 appear any better?

Andy

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Will L wrote:But doesn't the interactive picture of Alloa show just why P4 is so desirable!

Certainly does.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:49 pm

proto87stores wrote:I do have a curiosity question for Alloa experts. Is the double junction diamond just near the trap point a switched crossing? I assume it should be, even in 00.

Most low speed double junctions in the Uk manage without switched diamonds, ie the K crossings will be 1:8 or less. Switched diamonds are required only for crossings flatter than 1:8

One optical possible illusion effect that I have noticed is that lower height rail gives me the impression of a wider gauge. Code 55 vs. code 82 in my case. I wonder of that would make UK 00 appear any better?
Andy

Its something of a convenience that making 16.5 track with code 75 gives a main line rail size for H0 and effectively the effect you mention for 00. Some attention to sleeper length and spacing is required also to get that effect. However with bullhead rail there is no suitable smaller (H0) size available so code 75 has to be used in all cases.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Guest Book”