GWR 1366PT - Heljan Model

Jeremy Good

GWR 1366PT - Heljan Model

Postby Jeremy Good » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:43 am

Just wondering whether anyone has tried converting or providing a replacement chassis in P4 for one of these models?

I have a spare Peter K 1361 chassis kit but was wondering how much butchery of the body would be required to get it fit? Having seen the work needed for the Hattons/DJM 14XX I'm a little cautious about investing in one as a quick solution if it needs major work...

Any views?

Jeremy

Andrew Ullyott

Re: GWR 1366PT - Heljan Model

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm

It's not answering the question, but my 1366 has a CSP chassis which I believe is similar and a DJH body. I don't recall there being a problem with the wheels fouling anything at or above footplate level and that's all white metal.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Jeremy,

I think I may have two of these to do at some point with the intention of retaining the Heljan chassis. A cursory inspection before the owner took them back told me that there are proper wheels and axles with a single gear set, unlike the crazy multi geared and split axles arrangements with some others like DJB. Crazy for us, I mean, although I hear that even 00 models like that aren’t sometimes good runners.

Axle diameter I don’t know, but anything standard should be workable.i think the clearances were reasonable. If one of these materialises at some point I’ll try and remember to post something.

Philip

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks both.

I have a pre-production CSP kit in the “to do”pile but was looking at the Heljan one as a “quick win”for a Bodmin & Wenford themed project.

I’m happy to replace the chassis if needed. I was really trying to gauge whether this is a traditional type loco where the chassis can easily be separated from the body or whether it was a more fully integrated version like DJModels 14XX, Well Tank etc. If anyone knows could you let me know please?

Thanks

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 pm

Jeremy Good wrote:...I have a pre-production CSP kit in the “to do”pile ....

I wonder if CSP ever got round to releasing it?
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 am

Not yet. I got mine from Roger Slade. I understand it is on the to do list for the new owners but they were trying to deal with the current catalogue first.

Jeremy

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:07 am

Jeremy Good wrote:Not yet. .... I understand it is on the to do list for the new owners but they were trying to deal with the current catalogue first.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll wait a couple more years and see what happens after. :thumb

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 am

I'm converting a Heljan 07 diesel dock shunter at the moment. I expect this has a similar chassis to the 1366. The 07 has 3'6" wheels so I'm grinding the Heljan wheels down to 13mm diameter which allows me to press on Gibson coach wheel tyres. So far, so good!

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:13 pm

I have a DJH kit waiting its turn, I've never heard of CSP, can anyone enlighten me?

Steve

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 am

steve howe wrote:I have a DJH kit waiting its turn, I've never heard of CSP, can anyone enlighten me?

Yes I was significantly under informed too and had never heard of them. Seems they primarily do small industrials and appear to have a significant range.
Web site here

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:03 am

CSP Models was owned by Roger Slade and passed to Sans Pariel Models in Carlisle following his death.

They are mostly industrial types with some GWR locos and the S&D Radstock shunters also in the range. The 1366 is one of those kits which was under development when Roger passed away and had reached test etch stage. I was able to obtain a set of the test etches from him. I understand that the new owners are planning to continue the development of the kit and the range.

The 1366 etches I have seem to be a 4mm scale reduction of the 7mm Agenoria kit of the same loco and as such there are a few idiosyncrasies that need addressing - e.g. etched holes for cast lamp irons - and it seems that some but not all of these were dealt with in the change in scales. The chassis etch and cylinders etc are currently designed with OO spacings so there is some tweaking needed for P4.

Having looked at the cost of the Heljan RTR version I'm beginning to think that, for me, a more cost effective solution to a 1366 tank is to combine the body of this kit with the Peter K Chassis I have in stock.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:53 am

CSP were also supposed to be producing a 1361 kit.

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:25 pm

I've built a couple of CSP kits. The first thing I ever built in P4 was the 1366 chassis and I had absolutely no bother with it at all.
WE29.jpg

Second thing was a Peckett E class, the details of which are on the RMWeb blog here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/14910-peckett-e-class-minion/
IMG_0927 (1).jpg

general blog link here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/blog/12-ullypugs-tales-from-the-tinking-table/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Andrew

That view looks familiar!

I've also got one of the older chassis kits but it seems as though the design has changed slightly with the later version. I've no reason to suspect that they aren't buildable in P4 I just prefer the cylinder arrangements on the Peter K version.

Either way, it'll be good to get one of these up-and-running and collecting clay from Wheal Elizabeth sometime soon.

Jeremy

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Will wrote:
Yes I was significantly under informed too and had never heard of them. Seems they primarily do small industrials and appear to have a significant range.

Will, you took a close look at a CSP kit at Scaleforum in September...
Remember this little CSB'd CSP kit? :D

Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm

MarkS wrote:Will wrote:

Will, you took a close look at a CSP kit at Scaleforum in September...
Remember this little CSB'd CSP kit? :D

As said, significantly under informed. The fault is mine, I remember the nice little loco but not the kit supplier.
I was surprised there was such an extensive range I wasn't aware of.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 pm

Just had a reply from CSP saying the 1361 kit depends on new etches being delivered. Basic kit price: £95. Could be released this year.

1366 kit: not sure. Instructions need rewriting, apparently.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Horsetan wrote:Just had a reply from CSP saying the 1361 kit depends on new etches being delivered. Basic kit price: £95. Could be released this year.

1366 kit: not sure. Instructions need rewriting, apparently.

The etches were due at the end of January, but as I have not heard anything, I am assuming that the etchers are behind, this seems to be quite common these days.

Phil.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Phil O wrote:....etches were due at the end of January, ...

I'll assume January 2020.

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:06 am

1361 etches have been delivered along with the correct chassis for Medina, which has taken FIVE months to get sorted!
First kits posted. Sods law then kicked in.
Gibson wheels were delivered but I had more orders than expected and am now awaiting more stocks to complete a couple of orders.
Majority of back orders should go out towards the end of next week. I'm busy sorting out for Preston MRE this weekend and Iain is going to Kettering show!
1366 is likely to take some time as a very kind person has assembled one and given us a list of things that could do with being fixed. We have discussed things and feel that we can justify the cost of getting the alterations made and new etch films produced.
Our current priority is with a couple of O gauge industrial locomotive kits as well as a nice big French 2-3-0G.
Philip
for CSP Models

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 am

SteamAle wrote:1361 etches have been delivered along with the correct chassis for Medina, which has taken FIVE months to get sorted!
First kits posted. Sods law then kicked in.....

I've sent an order now.

....1366 is likely to take some time as a very kind person has assembled one and given us a list of things that could do with being fixed. We have discussed things and feel that we can justify the cost of getting the alterations made and new etch films produced....

Look forward to whenever it is ready for release.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Just received my 1361 kit.

Phil.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Phil O wrote:Just received my 1361 kit.

Same here. Instructions refer to a pre-rolled saddle tank, but there isn't one 'cos this is strictly DIY. Never mind, this is modelling; get the rolling mill out - what could possibly go wrong? Castings look quite neat, and include the Weymouth bell; some bits had spilled out of the bag in transit, but I don't think I lost any. Box is big enough to contain two or three 1361s.

Interesting markings on the etches show earlier involvement of Pete Stamper in the chassis design, as well as Peter K. on the body etches designed by David Smith. Interestingly, Kemilway/Peter K still list a 1361 etch pack for sale at £55, but whether it is actually available is another matter.

Need to buy wheels now. Closest AGW 3'8" 10-spk PB equivalent is for the SECR "P", though crank throw is shorter on the latter.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Horsetan wrote:
Phil O wrote:Just received my 1361 kit.

Same here. Instructions refer to a pre-rolled saddle tank, but there isn't one 'cos this is strictly DIY. Never mind, this is modelling; get the rolling mill out - what could possibly go wrong? Castings look quite neat, and include the Weymouth bell; some bits had spilled out of the bag in transit, but I don't think I lost any. Box is big enough to contain two or three 1361s.

Interesting markings on the etches show earlier involvement of Pete Stamper in the chassis design, as well as Peter K. on the body etches designed by David Smith. Interestingly, Kemilway/Peter K still list a 1361 etch pack for sale at £55, but whether it is actually available is another matter.

Need to buy wheels now. Closest AGW 3'8" 10-spk PB equivalent is for the SECR "P", though crank throw is shorter on the latter.

I bought the complete works! The kit looks to be very good. I think that the worst part of diy rolling will be the bottom parts of the tanks.

Phil.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Phil O wrote:...I think that the worst part of diy rolling will be the bottom parts of the tanks...

Small diameter rod as formers, maybe?

Return to “Steam Locomotives”