Finally Made A Start in P4!

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Le Corbusier

Re: Finally Made A Start in P4!

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:49 pm

CDGFife wrote:They may all involve anoraks?

There's actually a Marillion album called Anorak-no-phobia.

CDG

One might say that's just .....'Clutching at Straws' :thumb
Tim Lee

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 am

Actually 2 of the albums I listened to whilst tiling where FEAR and Brave! Apt indeed.

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

I thought a Marillion fan clutched at straws, not anoraks...

Flymo
(still contemplating the Steve Rothery-fest in Cambridge in a month's time)
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 am

Paul

All (alright both or 3 if you count the drummer change) incarnations of Marillion treated equally here! Straws, Anoraks, fishes, "aitch"es whatever...…. Although given the state of the country at present perhaps I should concentrate on Fugazi.

I'm gutted I can't get to Cambridge for SRB. Last year I couldn't get to Holland for it and this year I will be in Holland so can't go! Definitely recommended though, seen them a few times - they're really good and Martin (from Edinburgh based tribute act StillMarillion) who sings the old Marillion stuff is excellent. The set list is around on facebook if you search Steve Rothery. Definitely the whole of Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws from what I can remember.

I'll just have to be happy with the Mariilion Weekend convention in Leicester in April.

Cheers

CDG

iak

Postby iak » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

I thought we had reached seasons end with all this misplaced nonsense about Los Marillos...
However, I FEAR some will always be clutching at straws with regards to the past and not be brave enough to move on.
My marbles are well known for being wonky but this band continue to thrill with their sounds which can't be made... :thumb
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Agreed. They get better with age and are still original in almost everything they do. It's been a great ride for more years than I care to think about. Looking forward to another new album sometime next year, and the gigs with orchestral friends in the autumn, plus of course the weekend in April.

They really get this Strange Engine into gear. You can feel the Radiation -perhaps it's time for some Holidays in Eden, but only if you're not Afraid of Sunlight, in which case you could go Somewhere Else! Although I know that Happiness is the Road, I'm not sure how to get the (sorely underrated in my view) .com into the discussion, but the real prize is for some one to work Script for a Jester's Tear into it!

Once that is achieved I suppose we should go back to talking about Railways?

iak

Postby iak » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm

:D :D :D
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 am

Just to draw a conclusion to the Marilli-ness in this thread, here's all five (post 1989) members of the band in loco form on Cadhay. These are all Hornby Railroad industrials. It appears there's a prog rock fan in Hornby's graphics department and he's been sneaking in prog related locos for years! These cost me around £15 each. Some have had straight wheel swaps (not worked that well) and the eventual aim when I get time is to scratch build a simple chassis for each. watch this space....

19-02-004.jpg

19-02-005.jpg

Meantime I have made a bit of scenic detailing progress in preparation for Holland this week. The washing line now has clothes hanging on it!!

19-02-006.jpg

Also my mate Chris McCarthy has P4'd the EM LSWR G6 picked up at the Southampton show last year and that had it's first timetable run at yesterday's final practice session before we break down for Houten:

19-02-007.jpg

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Had a great trip to Houten, near Utrecht for the Rail exhibition with Cadhay last weekend. Here's the only two snaps I took as I was a bit busy over the three days.....

19-02-008.jpg
The A3 notices on the front are the complete days timetable in English and Dutch and you can also see the layout clock that we now have to keep time to!! Takes about 2.5 real world hours to run through the day.

19-02-009.jpg
Thanks to this set of fine operators, our "on time" % was probably pretty prototypical too.

Layout performed well, with the only mishaps being the 2 point blade actuators I've not switched to the new style through board connection, so they are next on the list of jobs to do.

The signalling and bells created lots of comment and also our uniforms were commented on a fair bit also. Plenty of questions about the AJs and how they worked in the sidings as well.

All in all a thoroughly satisfactory show.

Next up for development is a scrolling LED matrix under the clock to do away with the timetable prints!

Cheers

CDG

CDGFife

Postby CDGFife » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm

Spent a relaxing day today recovering from a hard day having Cadhay at the Skills day in Linlithgow yesterday. We ran without the curtains up and had lots of conversations of the "how do you?" or "how did you?" variety. I found it a most interesting experience and it was a pleasure to chat to knowledgeable folks all through the day. Even had a chat with a fellow prog fan. And kudos to Dave Gower who made it all the way from the South to inspect the layout for any sign of the copper dome!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks Chris. I really enjoyed seeing your layout on Saturday and had a great time at the event. Well worth the trip up. When you were not looking I planted an IED under the track which is set to take out any GWR intruder. LOL.

All Best

Dave

Return to “Layouts and Operations”