Hornby King

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
scalemaster

Hornby King

Postby scalemaster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:28 am

I wish to convert over to P4 a recently obtained tender drive King. Can substitute P4 Wheels be obtained to fit tender or do I have to strip out and fit new chassis ?

scalemaster

steamraiser

Re: Hornby King

Postby steamraiser » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:15 am

As far as I am aware the tender drive relies on "rubber" tyres on the tender drive wheel for adhesion.
I am not aware of any "rubber" tyred wheels being available over the counter in P4.

Gordon A

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 pm

scalemaster wrote:I wish to convert over to P4 a recently obtained tender drive King. Can substitute P4 Wheels be obtained to fit tender or do I have to strip out and fit new chassis ?

To convert a Ringfield tender-drive to P4 is quite a challenge. It is in effect the same as a three axle Ringfield diesel bogie, but with spoked wheels instead of disc ones. The outer axles have spur gears moulded as part of the wheel centres, whilst the centre axle has non-driven wheels spinning loosely on fixed stub axles.

Ultrascale are the source of Ringfield gear-compatible conversion packs, but they only deal with diesel bogies in this context. This means you would have to buy P4-standard 4'1.5" 12-spoke tender wheels, and arrange some means of transferring and fixing the Ringfield gears to the back of them, and then setting the correct back-to-back gauge. I think you might also have to arrange pick-ups to collect current for one side of the tender mechanism, as most available P4 wheels are plastic-centred, and therefore fully-insulated.

You would also probably need to remove the centre stub axles and run a plain axle through.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 pm

I think Gordon and Ivan’s replies reinforce my feeling that this is not a conversion for the faint hearted, being the classic case of ‘if it’s there you want to be, I wouldn’t start from here’. The best option here would be a new Comet chassis for engine and tender.

However, the latest Hornby King is superior in almost every way, up to or surpassing the standards of the Castle. It’s locomotive driven, wheels are available from Alan Gibson (the only wheelwright that does do a King) and I know of one EM conversion that was entirely successful. P4 should be the same given some attention to clearances etc, and would be my preferred route.

Sorry to be pouring cold water on your intentions!

Philip

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Philip Hall wrote:.... latest Hornby King is superior in almost every way, up to or surpassing the standards of the Castle. It’s locomotive driven, wheels are available from Alan Gibson (the only wheelwright that does do a King) ....

....and the special "King" axles (with a hollow indent) are available from Ultrascale, in 3mm diameter.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

scalemaster

Postby scalemaster » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks Phillip I will take your advice and go for a comet chassis and gibson wheels, whose motor and gearbox do you recomend ?

Bob

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm

I've never built a King or Castle, I only have a couple of conversions to do, but I would think a High Level gearbox with a 40:1 ratio and a Mashima can motor that will fit would be the best option. There are so many High Level gearboxes now, so have a word with Chris Gibbon. He is very good and will be able to make a good recommendation.

Philip

David B

Postby David B » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 pm

The Speed Calculator on the High Level website is very useful and easy to use.

Look under 'Gearboxes' then 'Planning'. The link for the Speed Calculator is towards the bottom of the panel on the left.

Return to “Starting in P4”