Great Western brake vans

David B

Great Western brake vans

Postby David B » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 pm

The handrails on the side of Great Western brake vans are often seen painted white. Was this always so? Did earlier vans just have dirty handrails in photographs or were they painted the same colour as the van bodies? If white painted handrails were brought in, when was this?

Did the same policy hold for the handrails on shunters' trucks?

petermeyer

Re: Great Western brake vans

Postby petermeyer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 pm

From gwr.org.uk:

"...Brake van handrails were originally body colour (grey), but were thought to have been first painted white during WWI..."

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieswagongrey.html

I just happened to have researched this yesterday as I am finishing off an AA12 van

David B

Postby David B » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 am

Thank you, Peter. That is very helpful.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 pm

May I use this thread to ask advice on GWR toad handrails?

I have several Toads awaiting handrail fitting, what puts me off is the handrails (apart from early outside framed examples) seem to be fabricated as continuous rectangles with radiused corners held off the body by stanchions. My query is: is there a technique to making these assemblies consistently? I have looked at the Bill Bedford jig offered by Eileen's which seems ideal for bending handrails to the right length but only in one plane i.e loco grab rails. I suspect a home-made jig with pins in the corners is going to be the answer, but the benefit of experience would be welcome.

Steve

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 pm

See also latest MRJ, the ones discussed there have a different arrangement of handrails.
Rgds

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Steve,

I made my handrails (including rectangular ones) using the BB handrail jig and soldering the ends together. To get the standoff, I drilled holes for the supports and soldered wire pins in, cut them off to about the same length then carefully worked them over some wet and dry on a flat board or use a largish flat file to get them all the same height. After that, I soldered the handrails on to the wire pins. The photos are of another brake van I did this with but the principle is the same and I have done it with rectangular rails.

I suggest tinning the wire with 100o solder, putting the wire in to the hole and either giving a zap with the RSU or use a hot iron on the wire to melt the solder in the hole. Drill the hole a fraction larger than the wire to accommodate the solder. I used a pointed bit and pre-cut small bits of solder when attaching the handrail.

Toad_g7994r.jpg
Toad_g7994r.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Toad_g7996r.jpg
Toad_g7996r.jpg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Toad_g7998r.jpg
Toad_g7998r.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Toad_g7999r.jpg
Toad_g7999r.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:13 am

steve howe wrote:May I use this thread to ask advice on GWR toad handrails?

I have several Toads awaiting handrail fitting, what puts me off is the handrails (apart from early outside framed examples) seem to be fabricated as continuous rectangles with radiused corners held off the body by stanchions. My query is: is there a technique to making these assemblies consistently? I have looked at the Bill Bedford jig offered by Eileen's which seems ideal for bending handrails to the right length but only in one plane i.e loco grab rails. I suspect a home-made jig with pins in the corners is going to be the answer, but the benefit of experience would be welcome.

Steve

MRD used to sell brass stantions for GWR toad handrails but a quick trawl of the inter web is saying the business is closed. Anybody know any more?

Joe Newman

Postby Joe Newman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:32 am

Model Railway Developments are due to be at the Southampton MRS show next weekend, 26 and 27 January.

Time will no doubt tell what the position is.

Joe

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks David,

I can now see a way of using the BB jig to make continuous handrails - achieving consistency is the tricky bit!

Must try harder... :)

Steve

Return to “Wagons”