Example prototype ride over VERY uneven track

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Proto87Stores

Example prototype ride over VERY uneven track

Postby Proto87Stores » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Although this was intended to illustrate stupid indifference to danger, it odes show the performance of US bogie vehicle suspension over very bumpy track. From some viewpoints it appears that the high-low height of an single 39 ft rail is almost the full rail height. (~ 8 inches) . Also note the rail joint spacing is alternated, as was the case for the much of the British Railways Southern Region during my 50's-60's residence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qoz7pzaQOQs

Andy

Re6/6

Re: Example prototype ride over VERY uneven track

Postby Re6/6 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks for that Andy. The stupidity of some people....!
John

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:35 am

All goes to show that working suspension is a wonderful thing, something people who complain about their stock falling off "at random" should consider.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:13 pm

There are some things that as a modeller we wouldn't dare!
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Wonder how a Class 700 (or its contents) would cope!

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Crepello wrote:Wonder how a Class 700 (or its contents) would cope!

23008422735_80ed01fc97_b-2.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Lee

Proto87Stores

Postby Proto87Stores » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Crepello wrote:Wonder how a Class 700 (or its contents) would cope!

There should be a specification written down somewhere. Mind you, I'm not sure what the US suspension specs are either. Other than I expect they are are broader than the UK's. Something else to discover . . .

Andy

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Bogie vehicles are generally the best able to deal with very uneven track, while vehicles with more than two axles in a rigid frame are the least able. My, certainly only very cursory, research has shown that the average Uk built loco chassis allows no more than 2 inches of vertical movement either side of the designed axle centre line. Meaning that variations in track top height along or across both tracks of anything approaching or exceeding 4 inches in the length of the chassis is a derailment almost certain to happen. The amount the track deflects (flattens) under the loco weight is also relevant here, but I very much doubt it you average midland 0-6-0 would have made it along this particular piece of track.

proto87stores

Postby proto87stores » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Some points that can be drawn from the video:

The wagons are empties, so have their lowest inertia. It is reasonable to assume that this the state in which they would be most likely to shimmy or rattle.

The travelling speed is very slow, so there is minimal dynamic stored/released energy effect over time in any suspension springing. So there is a low likelihood of any "smoothing" effect when passing over sudden rail joint dips.

Visually, the wagons exhibit no oscillation, or excess over swing. They do appear to faithfully follow the average vertical and twist profile of the track. I.e the suspension is close to ideal for the particular circumstances.

PS. I had to look up "class 700" on the Internet. So I eventually got the joke. :D My latest personal knowledge of BR EMU's stopped at my regular riding experiences of 305/1's (in their once dark green 8-) ) and trainspotting the original class (classy) 309's in their extremely attractive maroon. :thumb

Return to “Guest Book”