NLR 060T pipework

Sapper

NLR 060T pipework

Postby Sapper » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 pm

I am currently detailing an old Mallard kit of one of the above and am a bit puzzled regarding the pipe layout on the tank tops. There are two prominent pipes from the clack valves on the side of the boiler which sweep up over the tank and and I assume connect to the injectors which were located outside the cab front. As I have built it, these pipes would foul the tank fillers, but from the photos I have it is difficult to see if the pipes run inside or outside the fillers. Also there is a thin pipe which runs to the top of the smokebox and also disappears over the tank tops, where does this go?

I have got a copy of Locomotives Illustrated 129 which deals with the NLR tank engines and also the NRM book on the NLR which has a cross sectioned working drawing but not where I want to look! Unfortunately there are not any pictures which give a clear indication of the plumbing in either of these publications.

I am modelling circa 1900 and I know that there were many minor variations on these engine as shown in the various pictures.

Has anybody got any pictures showing the layout on the tank tops and also the exact location of the fillers (I assumed they would be located in the centre of the tank top).

Any assistance or information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sapper

garethashenden

Re: NLR 060T pipework

Postby garethashenden » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:40 pm

I don’t remember the source of this picture. It’s LMS, but I doubt the arrangement changed. The pipes run inside of the tank filler.

There is also a picture of the top of the preserved engine in my workbench thread: viewtopic.php?f=128&t=5075

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi Sapper,

Oddly enough, I'm doing exactly the same thing, this time with a 40 year old version of the Mallard kit which did sterling service on my Middlepeak layout for many years, but which now looks very "80's" in terms of the level of detail.

IMGP8951.JPG

IMGP8952.JPG

The attached photos were taken, like the one in Gareth's workshop thread, on the Bluebell, and clearly show the pipe running behind the tank filler. Some reasonable detail of the injectors evident also. It would be good to see pictures of your model as it progresses.

Gareth - that's a great picture of 7511 at the foot of Sheep Pasture Incline on the Cromford & High Peak. I've never seen that shot before, despite the fact that my CHP collection now runs to several hundred photos. If you could find anything that relates to its origins, I'd be very grateful. It looks like it came from a book, judging by the page number in the corner.

Regards,

Geraint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am

Gentlemen
Thank you for your quick responses to my query and the attached pictures and notes which were very interesting, I see I will have to do a bit of work to the plumbing on top of the tanks. The details of the engine on the Bluebell will be be very useful, it is surprising the number of minor but noticeable variations there are on a basic engine such as this.

I bought the original kit from Puffers many years ago and started to assemble the body which was fairly straightforward, however, I was defeated by the chassis, in the end Steve Duckworth came to the rescue and made a very nice job using a Branchlines kit, Mashima motor and a High Level gearbox and it runs very smoothly. I was hoping to finish the body this year but had to make a few alterations which required a complete respray, do not spray in very hot temperatures as the paint wrinkled and I had to strip it down and start again, however, I think it is better now than before. I had a footplate trip on the Bluebell engine many years ago which I was able to video and it certainly lived up to the reputation of being a slightly rough rider, however it was a vey enjoyable experience.

Attached are a couple of pictures of progress to date for interest.
NLR 1.jpg

NLR 2.jpg

Once again many thanks.

Regards

Sapper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:41 pm

hughesp87 wrote:Hi Sapper,

Gareth - that's a great picture of 7511 at the foot of Sheep Pasture Incline on the Cromford & High Peak. I've never seen that shot before, despite the fact that my CHP collection now runs to several hundred photos. If you could find anything that relates to its origins, I'd be very grateful. It looks like it came from a book, judging by the page number in the corner.

Regards,

Geraint

It is from Locomotives Illustrated 129 (Jan/Feb 2000) page 34.

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Sapper wrote:Gentlemen
Thank you for your quick responses to my query and the attached pictures and notes which were very interesting, I see I will have to do a bit of work to the plumbing on top of the tanks. The details of the engine on the Bluebell will be be very useful, it is surprising the number of minor but noticeable variations there are on a basic engine such as this.

Regards

Sapper

The biggest variation I’ve come across is that there are two tank heights. The first few had smaller, lower tanks. These were increased in later builds but never modified on the older engines. It’s only an inch or two, but it effects the join of the tank tops to the boiler. Being the second engine built, the preserved example, #76, has the lower tank height.

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Gareth,

Thanks for tracking the picture down. Was that part of a specific article about the Park tanks? I'll have to try to obtain a copy.

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:15 pm

hughesp87 wrote:Gareth,

Thanks for tracking the picture down. Was that part of a specific article about the Park tanks? I'll have to try to obtain a copy.

Geraint

The entire issue is North London tank engines. The various 4-4-0 passenger engines, the adorable crane tank, and the Goods tanks.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 am

Sapper, is the "thin pipe" the one shown in the photo as going into the fitting on the smokebox (at about 1:00 seen from the front)?

If so it is probably the operating rod for the blower valve (the small fitting). This is the same as used on LNWR locos.

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 am

Hello Jol
Yes, that is the one I was referring to and it appears in virtually all the photos I have of these engines. Thanks for enlightening me and I will have to put a bit more detail on the front end.

With the interest shown in these engines another idea for an LRM Kit?

Regards
Sapper

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 am

You design it and I am sure John will out it into production!

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 am

Hello Jol
Unfortunately I do not have access to a suitable drawing package to produce the necessary artwork, otherwise I might have a go.

Regards

Sapper

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Sapper wrote:Hello Jol
Unfortunately I do not have access to a suitable drawing package to produce the necessary artwork, otherwise I might have a go.

Regards

Sapper

I use CorelDraw, which is a "proper" 2D CAD programme. A friend uses Illustrator for hsi design work. There is no need to use a 3D programme as some people seem to think. I say proper because there are a variety of "free" download programmes, but my experience of those when I was involved with the Hobby Holidays Etch Design courses wasn't very positive.

You can pick up older versions of CorelDraw on Fleabay quite cheaply. CorelDraw 12 is perfectly okay (I still have that version on my workshop PC).

I also had TurboCad many years ago, but didn't get on with it. I found CorelDraw much easier.

Jol

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Sapper,

I've just done an etch to produce parts to improve my North London Tank, primarily cylinders, smokebox, tank fillers, cab floor, etc. Quite a straightforward job in CAD (TurboCAD in my case), and the usual excellent service from PPD to produce the finished article.

I'd suggest that you start off with something simple in the way of "add-on" parts, and progress from there. A warning though - the whole process gets rather addictive once you've dipped your toe in the water!

Regards,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:10 am

Sapper wrote:Hello Jol

Regards

Sapper

I’ve found Draftsight to be very good for 2D: it has an interface that feels more natural to me than TurboCad (which I also have). Draftsight is free for 2D.
https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Free only if you download the stripped down version.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Free only if you download the stripped down version.

I have used the free draftsight to work on the Autocad files from work, the extra features in the paid for pro version are unlikely to be missed in hobby use unless you are a very skilled CAD person.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Another issue of detail relating to the North London 0-6-0Ts.

Originally these were fitted with a lever reverse, but the preserved example (58850) clearly has a screw reverse, from the photos available.

Does anyone know if this was a standard fitting in later years? Was it fitted to all locos in the class, and does anyone have a suitable drawing please?

Many thanks,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Danish Railways in P87

Return to “Steam Locomotives”