Rumney Models - New Items for September 2023

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
PeteT

Re: Rumney Models - RCH 1927 Tank Wagon Underframes, BR Plate Freight Bogies, Wagon Castings

Postby PeteT » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

chrisf wrote:
Has anyone else found that you can only sand down the cast frames so far before no more metal is removed and the file switches to polishing?

Chris

Yes, I used to - until Justin put me onto using sandpaper (aluminium paper? The green stuff). When it is clogged use a different bit/New sheet.

Then the challenge is applying even pressure across an uneven workpiece to sand it evenly...

Will L

Re: Rumney Models - RCH 1927 Tank Wagon Underframes, BR Plate Freight Bogies, Wagon Castings

Postby Will L » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:57 pm

PeteT wrote:
chrisf wrote:
Has anyone else found that you can only sand down the cast frames so far before no more metal is removed and the file switches to polishing?

Chris

Yes, I used to - until Justin put me onto using sandpaper (aluminium paper? The green stuff). When it is clogged use a different bit/New sheet.

Then the challenge is applying even pressure across an uneven workpiece to sand it evenly...

Or better still reasonably course wet and dry paper. The white metal dust washes out so clogging isn't such a problem, and anyway it cuts better when wet. Never done a coach bogie side but I did successfully recovered 6 sets of axle box and spring details from a pair of cast tender chassis side frames which included some quite delicate detail.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 am

I put wet and dry on a flat surface and work the metal over it. Taking the piece to the abrasive gives you better control.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 am

chrisf wrote:Has anyone else found that you can only sand down the cast frames so far before no more metal is removed and the file switches to polishing?

On the assumption that this is because the file's teeth are clogged, the answer is a file card brush - cheap, effective and long lasting.
Regards
Noel

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

Mike Garwood wrote:I have a number of Comet Mk1's with the Comet brass 'slab' soldered onto the underframe. I was hoping that your design might be adapted to allow me to use them without having to un-solder this big brass washer, described on the Comet site as 'Threaded coach bogie rubbing plates, bolts, nuts, pair' - that's all.
Really like these and so much better than the whitemetal castings.

Possibly, it would depend on the diameter of the Comet 'slab'. It that is less than 13.5mm then it will be fine. Depth shouldn't be an issue.

PeteT wrote:As for time I'd prefer to spend it making something which will work and look the part, than laboriously sanding down cast sideframes which still wouldn't cut the mustard.

My thoughts exactly. I find jobs like thinning cast sideframes a right pain and go to great lengths to avoid it! Plastic is easier if you can get hold of something suitable.

Either way there is an asthetic issue with using them on sprung subframes and that is that, in most instances and unless you've removed a lot of material, the bogies will end up looking too wide, especially when planted under a coach. This is probably the only real justification for building a complete bogie kit though it should end up looking better overall.

Justin

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:05 am

Having got some to hand, the slabs are 12.75mm diameter and 4 mm deep.

Bryan

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:49 pm

David B wrote:I put wet and dry on a flat surface and work the metal over it. Taking the piece to the abrasive gives you better control.

Absolutely right, I should have said that, but I though it was obvious. But then what's obvious to one person ...

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm

jjnewitt wrote:
Mike Garwood wrote:I have a number of Comet Mk1's with the Comet brass 'slab' soldered onto the underframe. I was hoping that your design might be adapted to allow me to use them without having to un-solder this big brass washer, described on the Comet site as 'Threaded coach bogie rubbing plates, bolts, nuts, pair' - that's all.
Really like these and so much better than the whitemetal castings.

Possibly, it would depend on the diameter of the Comet 'slab'. It that is less than 13.5mm then it will be fine. Depth shouldn't be an issue.

Happy days...3 pairs please

Mike

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - Morton 10' Detailing, Milk Tank Castings

Postby jjnewitt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:40 am

Latest News - April 2019

April is upon us already and Scalefour North is just round the corner which means a new round of Rumney Models releases. Due to other demands on my time there is a smaller than usual number of them.

First up is a detailing fret for 10’ Morton brake wagons (B.114 - £4.50). This was done by request and is intended to upgrade Bachmann and Parkside, etc wagons. The fret includes both GWR and RCH brake lever guards along with brake levers, new vees, open wagon door springs (two types), solebar and headstock detailing, lamp irons, coupling hooks and Instanter links. There are sufficient parts for 2 wagons.

Spring and axlebox castings are now available for GWR and LMS milk tanks. These are for milk tanks fitted with oil journals rather than roller bearings. The GWR type is available with either BR or RCH 2 part axleboxes. Note that this variation applies to the outer axles only, the centre axles on all GWR milk tanks fitted with oil journals were an RCH type. All are £5 for a set of 6 and include and etch for the riveted axlebox guide fitted to the outer two axles. For more information and product codes see my website.

GWR Milk Tank Springs.JPG

A couple of items that were previously withdrawn have been reinstated. LNER steel open stanchions and detailing (B.101 - £3) and the Ratio LMS van strapping and detailing (B.105 - £1). Both of these items will remain in the catalogue until current stock levels are exhausted. Further details can be found here.

As has been noted elsewhere a few kits from the Miscellany Models range created by Mark Tatlow will be available from the Rumney Models exhibition stand at Scalefour North. These are as follows:

Highland Railway/LMS/BR diagram 51 full brake (£48)
Fully sprung Fox coach bogies (£16 per pair)
MR/LMS/BR: Diagram 530 passenger brake (£36)
NER/LNER/BR: Diagram P7 hopper wagon detailing etch (£13.50 - sufficient for 2 wagons)

Please note that I will not be supplying these kits mail order, they are ONLY available from Rumney Models at the exhibitions I’m attending. All mail order and general product enquiries should be directed to Mark and you should visit the Miscellany Models website for contact details and further information on the kits.

And finally a quick mention of a couple of items that will see the light of day in the autumn round of releases. Work on the complete BR Mk1 bogie kit has been completed; samples for the castings approved and the production mould ordered, leaving just the instructions left to write. They won’t be of any use to those who need rakes of the things (likely cost and the amount of time needed to build them would count against that) but if you only need a few and want a fully sprung bogie that isn’t too wide and looks the part then they may be of interest.

BR Coach Bogie.JPG

Also scheduled for release is a sprung subframe for 8’6” Gresley coach bogies. I have yet to determine prices for both of these items.

I look forward to seeing some of you in Wakefield.

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iak

Re: Rumney Models - Morton 10' Detailing, Milk Tank Castings

Postby iak » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:45 pm

See you there Justin. :thumb
Sláinte
Iain
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - New Items Coming Soon

Postby jjnewitt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm

Autumn is fast approaching and this one will bring a bumper crop of new releases from Rumney Models. Instead of leaving everything to the last minute as usually seems to happen I thought I’d let everyone know what will be coming their way in a few weeks a little more in advance this time. Further details and prices will be announced a little closer to the time when the next catalogue is issued but the following will be available at Scaleforum. All are 4mm scale and are only suitable for EM/P4 unless stated otherwise.

GWR/BR(W) P22 ‘Herring’ ballast hopper kit

A full kit for this diminutive ballast hopper which could be found all over the Western region as well as further afield. The kit features a one piece hopper body some built in jigging to help you build it and a full set of castings. The chassis is to the usual Rumney Models spec and includes full brakegear and guitar wire ‘leaf’ spring suspension. It can be built in OO as well as EM and P4.

P22 (1) - Small.JPG

LNER Gresley 8’6” Standard Duty Coach Bogie Subframe

These are something that has been a work in progress for a good while; a fully sprung subframe for the distinctive Gresley bogie. The kit specifically covers the 8’6” standard duty bogies. 8’ and 8’6” heavy duty bogies are options for future releases depending on sales. A neat solution for the visible cosmetic wheel leaf springs is included. Can be used currently with RTR plastic sideframes or MJT castings.

BR Coach Bogies (for Mk1 stock)

A complete kit for the standard duty 1950s BR Mk1 coach bogie. The kit has options that cover single bolster bogies and double bolster bogies, either in their original design or with the revised and strengthened bolster arrangement. Riveted and welded construction is also covered and there are options for welded and riveted spring stops. The only ones you can’t model are the heavy duty ones variety and the few built with compensated brakegear. They are of course fully sprung with guitar wire primary and secondary springing. Castings are included for the 6 leaf springs/BR1 axleboxes and the bolster springs and hangers.

BR Coach Bogie.JPG

Not for those who want rakes and rakes of the things but an option for some who only needs a few but wants a bogie that the right kind of width and looks a bit special.

GER Y14/LNER J15 Underframe

A modern, fold up, CSB’d underframe designed for use with the Alan Gibson J15 kit. The kit includes complete dummy inside motion and full brake gear. A number of options are covered including square and bevel bottom fireboxes as well as those converted from the former to the later, different length brake shoe brackets, steam and Westinghouse air brakegear, Sharp Stewart brakes for the first batch built and fluted or plain coupling rods.

GER S23 Tender Underframe

To compliment the above a CSB underframe kit for use with the Alan Gibson S23 tender kit. The kit includes a fold up subframe with full brakegear and options for both steam as well as Westinghouse air brakes. Also included are replacement sideframes with options for round or straight top sideframe cut outs.

GER Z14 Tender Underframe

As per the S23 tender kit in concept and again designed for use with the Alan Gibson S23 kit to create an earlier GER tender. The kit includes replacement sideframes with options for deep and shallow sideframe cut outs as well as numerous brakegear arrangements covering steam and Westinghouse fitted tenders.

If any of the above is of interest look out for a further update with prices a week or two before Scaleforum.

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - New Items Now Here

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:30 pm

After a mammoth packing session all the items that I announced earlier this month are now in stock. Prices are as follows:

• E.07 Gresley 8’6” light bogie subframe - £13 per pair
• E.101 BR coach bogie kit (single and light double bolster for Mk1 stock) - £26 per pair
• X.07 GER Y14 / LNER J15 loco chassis - £38
• X.08 GER S23 tender underframe - £13
• X.09 GER Z.14 tender underframe - £14
• X.10 GWR / BR(W) P22 ‘Herring’ ballast hopper - £34

As usual with Rumney Models products any springing wire is included. The BR coach bogies (E.101) and P22 hopper (X.10) also include all castings.

All these are included in the latest price list (September 2019) which can now be found on my website via the ordering page.

The S23 and Z14 tender etches will be available in brass as standard but I have a limited number both frets in nickel silver which will be available for a surcharge. You will need to add £1.20 for the S.23 tender and £1.60 for the Z14 tender to the above prices. I also have 1 set of P22 hopper etches in nickel silver which are available for an additional £4.20. Nickel silver seems to be about 40% more expensive at the moment. They are available while stocks last. If you wish to order any of the above nickel silver frets by post please email first to check availability.

Finally a reminder that the following Miscellany Models products will be available from the Rumney Models stand at Scaleforum:

• Highland Railway/LMS/BR diagram 51 full brake - £48
• Fully sprung Fox coach bogies - £16
• MR/LMS/BR Diagram 530 passenger brake - £36
• NER/LNER/BR Diagram P7 hopper wagon detailing - £13.50

I’ll look forward to seeing some of you at Scaleforum next weekend.

Justin

Horsetan

Re: Rumney Models - New Items Now Here

Postby Horsetan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:04 pm

jjnewitt wrote:After a mammoth packing session all the items that I announced earlier this month are now in stock. Prices are as follows:

• E.101 BR coach bogie kit (single and light double bolster for Mk1 stock) - £26 per pair
• X.07 GER Y14 / LNER J15 loco chassis - £38
• X.08 GER S23 tender underframe - £13

Excellent.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - New Address

Postby jjnewitt » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:51 am

Rumney Models is on the move. This seems to be an almost biennial event but hopefully the following address will remain current for a good while. From now on please direct all mailed correspondence to:

Rumney Models
Bryanstone
Glewstone
Ross-on-Wye
Herefordshire
HR9 6AW

Given that we are moving there may be a slight delay in mail order services, particularly around this weekend (13th-16th). This also applies to any emails. Normal service will be resumed as quickly as possible.

I’d also like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and New Year. Rumney Models has lots of exciting plans for 2020 so watch this space, as they say.

Justin

dal-t

Re: Rumney Models - New Address

Postby dal-t » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Hope you settle in well in Ross - always one of our favourite places to visit when we lived in FoD, with a range of good eateries*, some eclectic shopping, and, of course, remnants of railway interest. Good also that there is going to be a model railway connection again!

*I shall always remember lunch at the Royal Hotel one summer Saturday, lounging on the terrace with an apero, when we heard the distinctive sound of a RR Merlin engine. Sure enough, a Spitfire soon hove into view, performed a lazy victory roll over the river, then carried serenely on his way across the Herefordshire countryside. Someone's wedding or birthday treat, no doubt, but we all enjoyed it, happy days!
David L-T

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - New Items, Temporary P&P Rates and Development News

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm

New Items

As of today the following new items are available to order:

M&SWJR 2-4-0 Loco and Tender Chassis (X.13 - £35)

This set of etches is intended for the Nucast Partners kit and can be built in OO, EM and P4. Both Loco and underframe can be built rigid or sprung using High Level hornblocks (not included). CSB plots are built in so if you wish to build it sprung you will not need to worry about setting them up. Removable keeper plates with cosmetic driving wheel spring detail are included as are full brakegear, balance weights and motion bracket/slidebars so there's something visible in between the loco frames. Springing wire is included.

M&SWJR Loco and Tender Chassis.jpg

Stones Ventilators (X.14 - £2.50)

A fret for the distinctive ventilators as fitted to late Midland and LMS Period 1 & 2 coaching stock. The fret consists of 42 x 9 pane ventilators, 12 x 6 pane and 10 x 5 pane.

Ivatt Pony Truck Detailing (X.15 - £1.50)

A small etch to enable the Brassmasters Ivatt spring controlled pony truck to be built as the swing link version. These were fitted at one end of the Ivatt and BR 2-6-2T locos, the other end being the spring controlled version.

The Rumney Models website has been updated with these new items and the latest price list (March 2020) is available to download.

Temporary Postage & Packing Rates

In response to the Coronavirus pandemic and the cancelation of most of Rumney Models exhibitions for the year I am introducing new temporary postage rates for UK orders for the next few months. A lot of you would have had the opportunity to purchase from Rumney Models without having to pay for delivery and I still want people to have that opportunity. For UK orders received during the rest of March, April, May and June 2020 the following rates will apply. Overseas orders will still be at cost.

• Orders of no more than £20 - Add £1.50
• Orders over £20 - No charge
• Overseas orders at cost.

I will endeavour to maintain as efficient a service as possible during the outbreak but it's likely that trips to the post office will be restricted to one or two times a week. Also, with increased childcare duties due to loss of Grandparent help and no nursery time for my daughter there may be some delay in processing orders and answering emails. Please bear with me.

Development News

In other news Rumney Models has recently taken delivery of a whizzy resin 3D printer. This will lead to some new exciting new products and in some instances new ways of doing things. It will also mean that certain products that have been unavailable due to issues supplying parts will be able to be reintroduced. Development work is well in hand though with the current Coronavirus outbreak and the loss of work time due to increased childcare responsibilities that may take a little longer than anticipated. Over the next few months several items will be introduced so keep an eye out for updates and new price lists.

To give you some idea of what’s coming the Rumney Models freight bogies are going to be reworked to use an etched subframe and printed sides. This may mean that certain types will become temporarily unavailable as I won’t be ordering any more castings for the etched version.

G05 Printed.JPG

When the freight bogies are sorted out then I will release complete Macaw B/Bogie Bolster C kits. These will cover numerous variations from early GWR through to the final vacuum braked examples built in the 1960s. Tooling already exists for the etches, they’ve been waiting, along with some other projects, for readily available parts printed to the required standard.

The 7mm Anchor Mount tank wagon kits that I did as a batch last year will become available as a standard item, again the tooling for these already exists.

A few of the last remaining axleboxes on the to do list will be released as 3D prints. These will include Hyboxes and LMS/LNER heavy duty axleboxes with appropriate springs. I will also look at making the range available in other scales. Some are already available in S Scale via the S Scale society and 7mm seems to be a distinct possibility as there doesn’t seem to be much around in the way of after market detailing parts like this.

We are also going to look at ways of making kits a bit quicker to build where possible. This will not be at the expense of quality though nor simply because I have a 3D printer. Early results are encouraging.

Std Van Bits.JPG

Take care everyone in these troubling times and happy modelling.

Justin

Mike Garwood

Re: Rumney Models - New Items, Temporary P&P Rates and Devleopment News

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Justin
Love the brakes! Just about to start your fish van...

Mike

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - Temporary Suspension of Trading

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:11 am

Yesterday I received an email from my etching company saying that they were following Scottish government advice and suspending manufacturing due to the Coronavirus pandemic. This obviously means that I now cannot get any more etches done until they restart production and get through any backlog they might have accrued whilst shut. My current stock of etches is ok, though not great after a busy month of mail order.

In addition to this, earlier in the week we received a letter saying that one of my immediate family were considered high risk and should self isolate for the next 12 weeks. With absolutely zero chance of them self isolating we are ‘family isolating’ for the suggested length of time, maybe longer who knows? A very kind friend has offered to do our shopping once a week and I have had to use the village post box to get orders out for the past few days.

The combination of the above has led me to come to the decision to temporarily suspend trading until such time as the situation improves.

Whilst I could continue with what stock I have I feel uncomfortable about having to use the post box to get orders out as nothing is insured against going missing, and this seems an increasingly likely event as the postal system comes under strain due to illness. Such losses would come out of my own pocket and I also may also not be able to replace items lost due to lack of stock. This starts to get too complicated for my liking. I also have to consider when things start up again. If I continue with what I have I can envisage a situation where I’ll have to shut for a period anyway later in the year as I have little stock to sell and I’m waiting for more to arrive or having to cancel autumn exhibitions (should they go ahead) for the same reason.

I have got in touch with those who have outstanding items and any orders that are currently in the post will be fulfilled, subject to the etches being available of course. I will continue with commission and development work whilst closed and perhaps get a bit more time to play with the new 3D printer.

As soon as one or both of the above change I’ll review the situation and look at starting mail order again. I suspect that both will change around the same sort of time.

Happy modelling all and stay away from any nasty viruses.

Justin

Steve Carter

Re: Rumney Models - Temporary Suspension of Trading

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 am

Take care and stay safe Justin.

See you on the other side of all this.

All the best

Steve
Steve Carter

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:38 am

I echo that Keep Safe

All Best

Dave

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks both.

Hopefully I'll be back up and running before too long. I should also be in a good position to trade normally with decent stock levels when things get going again.

Take good care all.

Justin

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 am

jjnewitt wrote:The combination of the above has led me to come to the decision to temporarily suspend trading until such time as the situation improves

But it might give you some time to do all that development work that you want to do. :)

Keep safe.

Terry Bendall

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - Still Closed But...

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:07 am

Rumney Models Trading Update

Since mid-March we have as a family been ‘shielding’ from Coronavirus as one of us is on the NHS vulnerable list. This has meant that I have been unable to go to a post office and therefore trade normally. It was announced recently that shielding will end on the 1st August for England and 16th August for Wales. This means that in the eyes of the government we can return to a socially distanced ‘normal’. Personally, I think our current government is mostly blind when it comes to Coronavirus and hasn’t got a clue where it’s going but we have to take note of the official advice.

Given our proximity to the Welsh border we will keep a close eye on what is happening in Monmouthshire and make firm decisions as a family nearer the time but, as things stand, I am planning to reopen to mail orders at the beginning of September. We have a much needed family holiday booked towards the end of August (usually taken in Cornwall but will probably be taken at home) and I have a stack of jobs to do around the house before Autumn which makes reopening earlier a little tricky; no Furlough layouts being built here it’s been wall to wall work and childcare. When I do reopen I want to be able to give a proper service rather than a piecemeal one.

This could of course change if there is a significant deterioration in current situation with Coronavirus and a change in the advice given by the Welsh and English NHS.

I’m sorry that I bring news of an immediate reopening but obviously the health of my family takes precedence over anything else.

Justin

Steve Carter

Re: Rumney Models - Still Closed But...

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:59 pm

jjnewitt wrote:
... but obviously the health of my family takes precedence over anything else.

Justin

:thumb

Take care and stay safe
Steve Carter

steve howe

Re: Rumney Models - New Items, Temporary P&P Rates and Development News

Postby steve howe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 pm

jjnewitt wrote:New Items

As of today the following new items are available to order:

M&SWJR 2-4-0 Loco and Tender Chassis (X.13 - £35)

This set of etches is intended for the Nucast Partners kit and can be built in OO, EM and P4. Both Loco and underframe can be built rigid or sprung using High Level hornblocks (not included). CSB plots are built in so if you wish to build it sprung you will not need to worry about setting them up. Removable keeper plates with cosmetic driving wheel spring detail are included as are full brakegear, balance weights and motion bracket/slidebars so there's something visible in between the loco frames. Springing wire is included.

Take care everyone in these troubling times and happy modelling.

Justin

Sorry if this is a Numpty question and being out of the loop, but what is the current situation with Nucast Partners? they don't seem to have a website and the main references seem to be old entries on RMWeb. Just interested to know how far the re-introduction of the NuCast range has got.

Steve

Return to “New Products”