Rumney Models - New Items for September 2023

If you are making something new or have found something, announce it here.
jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - Wagon Castings, Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Parts & Detailing Bits

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:10 pm

iak wrote:Those axleboxes are very tasty looking Justin. :thumb

Hi Iain,

I'm really pleased how they've come out and it's nice to be able to release them. It feels like a fair old process to get to this stage. More to come as well (as you may have deduced from the missing codes), hopefully later in the year.

Hope you can make it to Scalefour North.

Justin

Highpeak

Re: Rumney Models - Wagon Castings, Anchor Mount Tank Wagon Parts & Detailing Bits

Postby Highpeak » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:04 am

I've spent some time in preparation for my visit to the UK coming up with a project list for the Highpeak Wagon Works and came up with 14 projects for the next 12 months, most of which will incorporate some of these offerings, especially the castings. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend.

Iain, it would be nice to bump into you on the Sunday.
Neville
If at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions.

iak

Postby iak » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 am

Highpeak wrote:I've spent some time in preparation for my visit to the UK coming up with a project list for the Highpeak Wagon Works and came up with 14 projects for the next 12 months, most of which will incorporate some of these offerings, especially the castings. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend.

Iain, it would be nice to bump into you on the Sunday.

Bump would be the operative word thete Neville.. :?
I'll be the guy wondering around looking a wee out of it, the medication I'm on tends to do that.
Wibble... :?
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

A quick interim update from Rumney Models before the next major set of releases in September.

Firstly a couple of new items in the form of Express Dairy milk tank plates in both 4mm and 7mm scales. These include both the company plate and the distinctive round number plate that was attached to the baulks at the tank ends. The numbers were Express Dairy’s own fleet numbers and were generally grouped according to who built the milk tank. If you want something specific then please inquire or else you will get a random number picked from the box they are in. The plates are etched on 0.1mm stainless steel and nicely complement the United Dairies/Unigate plates released last year. Details on the 4mm plates can be found here, and the 7mm ones here.

ED Plate 7mm.JPG

ED 4mm Plate.JPG

Prices are £2.50 a set for the 4mm version and £3.50 a set for the 7mm ones.

Secondly Rumney Models is moving house. The new address for all postal correspondence is as follows:

3 Warren Terrace
Trellech
Monmouthshire
NP25 4PH

The house move will mean that I won’t be able to process any orders from now until the week commencing the 17th. Please bear this in mind. I will be able to respond to emails during this period though there may be some delay in doing so.

Also a reminder that Rumney Models will be at Larkrail on the 15th July. I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Justin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

newport_rod

Re: Rumney Models - Express Dairy Milk Tank Plates and Change of Address

Postby newport_rod » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Croeso i Gymru Justin :)

Alastairr
Web Team

Postby Alastairr » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Good luck in your house move Justin.

My Rumney Models tank train is coming on well...some ladder business to tidy up and the paintshop queue grows ever longer...

Alastair

iak

Postby iak » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Alastairr wrote:Good luck in your house move Justin.

My Rumney Models tank train is coming on well...some ladder business to tidy up and the paintshop queue grows ever longer...

Alastair

Wow, an excellent rake of naughtiness sir - impressive...
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Those are awesome !

dmsmith

Postby dmsmith » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:26 pm

I can't claim to be quite so prolific, but I have made some progress: extended Bachmann body with end-mounted heater coils, Cambridge Custom Transfers lettering and Rumney models underframe and ladders. The next step is some weathering. The model is intended for the 1960s scene on Chris Lamacraft's Hemyock, when the creamery was served by regent oil tanks. The wheels are therefore EM rather than P4 ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks Rod and Alastair. All going quite smoothly so far which is nice.

Those tank wagons are looking great guys! Need to try and get some transfers sorted for mine at some point so I can get it finised.

Justin

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - Grampus Bits, Wagon Axlebox & Spring Castings and Bogie Bolster C Bolsters

Postby jjnewitt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Scaleforum is just around the corner and that means a new set of releases from Rumney Models.

The ‘headline act’ this time is an underframe kit for the BR unfitted Grampus (B.34 - £15). This includes replacement baskets and door spring and step detailing for the body. For those who don’t want to go to the extent of building a complete replacement underframe the baskets, solebar and body side door springs along with the corner steps are available on their own as a detailing pack (B.109 - £3.50).

Grampus 3.JPG

Grampus 2.JPG

There is a new underframe for RCH 21T Morton brakes hoppers (B.29 - £13), covering mainly private owner types and also a 17’6” x 9’ Morton brake underframe (B.32 - £11) for grouping era general merchandise wagons.

To compliment the underframes are screw couplings (B.96 - £1.50). These are etched on 0.015” nickel silver to try and give a more prototypically robust appearance and come in sets of 4 with various length links. Completing the etched products are CSB carrier tags to suit Brassmasters hornblocks (X.03 - £1.50).

The range of whitemetal springs and axleboxes continues to expand with RCH 2 part, LMS 2 part, LMS vertical Platefront, LNER cast and LNER welded axleboxes combined with 5 leaf springs along with LMS 2 part, LMS vertical Platefront, LMS sloping Platefront and LNER cast axleboxes combined with the LMS 7 leaf spring as fitted to wagon with the LMS clasp brake. All types come in packs of 4 castings which cost £2.50.

Axlebox and Spring Castings.jpg

Lastly are castings and etched details for later type BR Bogie Bolster C bolsters. These distinctive bolsters were fitted from around 1954 and can be used to detail the Bachmann model. There are two types covering diagrams 1/474 & 1/477 (F.03A - £6.50) and 1/475 (F.03B - £6.50). Each set consists of 4 cast bolsters with etched bolster pins and D links.

BBC Bolsters.JPG

Further details on all of the above can be found via the Latest Releases page on my website.

Also just to reiterate that Rumney Models moved in July of this year. The new address for all postal correspondence is as follows:

3 Warren Terrace
Trellech
Monmouthshire
NP25 4PH

I hope to see some of you at Scaleforum,
Justin

garethevans1986

Re: Rumney Models - Grampus Bits, Wagon Axlebox & Spring Castings and Bogie Bolster C Bolsters

Postby garethevans1986 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

I have about 30+ Rumney Models brass kits in the pile waiting to be worked on :D

I also picked up 2 x Grampus kits on Sunday too!

Looking forward to seeing some of these running on Mostyn soon enough.

Gareth
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - Forthcoming Spring Clean

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Happy New year to all.

Having had a review of Rumney Models trading operations I've decided to have a bit of a spring clean of the catalogue. Nothing immediate but some items are now slated for withdrawl and others will only be available in minimum quantities. Details are in my New Year's update on the Rumney Models website which can be found via this link.

Cheers,
Justin

iak

Re: Rumney Models - Forthcoming Spring Clean

Postby iak » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Noted...

Sláinte
Iain
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - LMS 1P Chassis, BR Class 31 Bogies, Plate Freight Bogies

Postby jjnewitt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Spring is in the air and Scalefour North just around the corner which means a new set of releases from Rumney Models.

A couple of eagerly awaited commission projects reach fruition and are released.

Firstly there is a loco chassis for the MR/LMS/BR 1P 0-4-4T (X.04 - £38). This is a modern chassis designed to go under the craftsman body. It is designed to be fully sprung and can be built in P4, EM and OO. It features full brakegear, dummy inside motion, 3D printed details and a removable keeper plate with cosmetic driving wheel springs.

LMS 1P.jpg

The second commission project is for a set of fully sprung diesel bogies for the all wheel drive Hornby BR class 31 (X.02 - £33). This is slightly different from my previous diesel bogies as it features guitar wire leaf suspension for both primary and secondary springs. The bogies are almost entirely self contained meaning little modification is required to the Hornby chassis block. Includes custom High Level skinny hornblocks.

Another project that has been rumbling on for a while also sees the light of day though this time a home one. Finally available are my sprung freight bogies. The first couple of releases cover GWR standard and heavy duty types (G.04 & G.05 - £12). They feature etched sideframes and bolster with cast whitemetal bolster springs and journals. BR types will be added to the catalogue soon and there will be a very small number available from the stand at Scalefour North.

GWR Standard Freight Bogie.jpg

Freight Bogies Sideframes - Diagram 2 GWR only.jpg

Other items newly released include an underframe for the Chivers GWR & SR Tunny (B.35 - £13.50) and an S Scale RCH 17’6” x 9’ Morton brake wagon underframe (SB.32 - £18). Also released are additional parts to convert my anchor mount tank wagon chassis (B.71) to other variants. These cover 14T wagons with RCH axleguards (B.72 - £2.50), 20T wagons with BR Plate axleguards (B.73 - £2.50) and 20T wagons with RCH HD axleguards (B.74 - £2.50).

I hope to see some of you at Scalefour North,
Justin

RedDragon

Re: Rumney Models - LMS 1P Chassis, BR Class 31 Bogies, Plate Freight Bogies

Postby RedDragon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Are there still plans for a sprung LNER bogie frame?

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - LMS 1P Chassis, BR Class 31 Bogies, Plate Freight Bogies

Postby jjnewitt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 am

Yes there are still plans and it's possible they might appear later this year.

Justin

jjnewitt

Rumney Models - RCH 1927 Tank Wagon Underframes, BR Plate Freight Bogies, Wagon Castings

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Another a new set of releases from Rumney Models to report on.

The ‘headline act’ this time round is a pair of kits for RCH 1927 tank wagon underframes. They are available with either 10’ (B.75) or 9’ (B.76) wheelbase and are £14 each. These are suitable for tank wagons built from around 1927 until the last of the Air Ministry tanks were built in the mid 1940s. The obvious current starting point for a body is the Bachmann cradle mounted tank wagon. These chassis don’t include any detailing for the body such as ladders.

Oil Tank 1.JPG

To complement the above chassis and for those wishing to upgrade the Bachmann cradle mounted tank wagon model without resorting to building a new underframe there is a detailing kit (B.113 - £4.50). This includes two sets of different ladders, brake levers, brake lever guards, tie bars, valve wheel, tank straps and outside solebar crosshead tie down brackets. There are sufficient parts for 2 wagons.

Oil Tank 5.JPG

Having sorted out a casting shortage the BR version of my sprung plate freight bogies are now available. There are two types with either oil (G.01) or roller bearing (G.02) journals. Both types are £12 for a pair. They feature etched sideframes and bolster with cast whitemetal bolster springs and journals.

The new items for are rounded off with yet more wagon spring and axlebox castings.

The 5 leaf spring is now available with an LMS sloping platefront axlebox and the 6 leaf springs with RCH 2 part (perfect for the new tank wagon chassis), LMS sloping platefront (good for pre 1927 tank wagons) and LNER welded (16T minerals) axleboxes. There are also springs and axleboxes for GWR and LMS Stanier brake vans. The GWR brake van springs are the later swing link variety and come with either RCH or BR 2 part heavy duty axleboxes (10” journals). These are suitable for diagrams AA.15 (last batch), AA.19, AA.20, AA.21 and AA.23. All are £3 for a set of 4. For more information and product codes on the castings see my website.

I had hoped to have added GWR and LMS milk tank springs and axleboxes to the catalogue this time round but I have practically sold out of those that I ordered and so will add them once I have plenty of stocks (in short I didn’t order enough!). Keep an eye on the website but I would hope to have them for the Portsmouth exhibition in November. I will have a very limited number for sale at Scaleforum for those who are quick.

United Dairies milk tank plates in both 4mm and 7mm scales are now back in stock.

Finally a little vague market research...

When I originally did my sprung coach bogies the idea was to do them as complete bogie kits with sideframes and detail castings. Time and a lack of ability to do the master for castings put paid to the idea and they appeared just as sprung subframes. Recently I have revisited the idea and have done the etches and masters for the BR coach bogie.

BR Coach Bogie 1.JPG

The etches cover the original single bolster, standard and heavy duty double bolster bogies as well as the revised versions of the double bolster bogies (the bolsters on the double bolster designs were tweaked early on). They can be built as either riveted or welded bogies and feature two different types of spring stop. Master have been printed for the lighter springs and BR1 axleboxes (used on single and standard double bolster bogies) and heavier springs and BR2 axleboxes used on the heavy duty double bolster bogies as well as the bolster springs. In short a pretty comprehensive kit.

BR Coach Bogie 2.JPG

They aren’t necessarily quick (the test build took about 6 hours to put one bogie together) and if you want full length rakes this sort of thing isn’t going to be for you but they do look rather lovely.

So what I’m pondering with all this is whether there is actually a market for these bogies and if so what would the market be prepared to pay? I’m not convinced with the former and I expect the later is only about what they would cost to put in a bag but having done them I thought I’d see if there was any interest? If there isn’t enough interest they won’t be released.

I hope to see some of you at Scaleforum next weekend,
Justin

Mike Garwood

Re: Rumney Models - RCH 1927 Tank Wagon Underframes, BR Plate Freight Bogies, Wagon Castings

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Very nice Justin. Any idea of price for the kit? I'd be up for a couple of those. Can they be adapted?

Mike

jjnewitt

Re: Rumney Models - RCH 1927 Tank Wagon Underframes, BR Plate Freight Bogies, Wagon Castings

Postby jjnewitt » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Adapted? To what? Aren't they comprehensive enough as they are?

Justin

iak

Postby iak » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Excellent stuff Justin. Nice to see the tank chassis' come to fruition.
As for the bogie kits? With the sort of adaptability and detail you've built in, how does a round £25.00 start with as a suggestion? I've a box full of Mk 1's and things that could grace some ... :thumb
Expect an order soon as Scalefourum is just too far for me to get to.

Slàinte
Iain
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:14 pm

jjnewitt wrote:Adapted? To what? Aren't they comprehensive enough as they are?

Justin

I have a number of Comet Mk1's with the Comet brass 'slab' soldered onto the underframe. I was hoping that your design might be adapted to allow me to use them without having to un-solder this big brass washer, described on the Comet site as 'Threaded coach bogie rubbing plates, bolts, nuts, pair' - that's all.
Really like these and so much better than the whitemetal castings.

Mike

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Justin,

For my 2 penneth which might as well be penned here for others to agree or disagree as they see fit, the ideal level would be that comparable to a sprung subframe & cast sides, so ~£20. However I think most people are happy paying more for a superior kit & final product so would agree with Iain at the £25 region.

As for time I'd prefer to spend it making something which will work and look the part, than laboriously sanding down cast sideframes which still wouldn't cut the mustard.

Those needing dozens are probably not going to bother, but I'd certainly like to go the extra mile for the ~10 Mark 1s I have planned.

Look forward to catching up over the weekend,
Cheers,
Pete

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Pete

My thoughts exactly...

Mike

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:59 pm

PeteT wrote:
As for time I'd prefer to spend it making something which will work and look the part, than laboriously sanding down cast sideframes which still wouldn't cut the mustard.

Has anyone else found that you can only sand down the cast frames so far before no more metal is removed and the file switches to polishing?

Chris

Return to “New Products”