Scaleforum 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Noel

Re: Scaleforum 2018

Postby Noel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:about 300 years from the railway station

So you should arrive in time for Scaleforum 2318 :D ?? Isn't predictive text fun...
Regards
Noel

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:49 am

Noel wrote: Scaleforum 2318

Sorry - missed that one! :)

Terry Bendall

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:21 am

Last year I walked it from the Train station .... its about 1.5miles and takes roughly half an hour - would be an option for some who like to stretch their legs a little ;)
Tim Lee

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:Travel advice and information for Scaleforum is now available on our web site at https://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/sms/directions

I've just updated this page, with the latest Bus information I have to hand, and a direct link to the stadium on google maps (to use their directions service more easily).

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:26 pm

I will be at Scaleforum for both days and will be staying in Aylesbury on the Saturday night. It would be nice to tap into the social side of the show as I will be there on my own. I would be grateful to hear from anyone in a similar situation who fancies a chat over a pint and/or meal.

Chris

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Well Chris, Bryan and I will be there so perhaps? I've just received my exhibitors info pack and there should have been a list of potential local eateries and pubs included - but there wasn't! Am I the only one Terry? :)

kelly

Postby kelly » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Natalie and myself will both be there all weekend, on the DEMU stand, and have a hotel booked for the night. Something social might be doable (depends how Natalie feels by the end of the day as she is prone to migraine).
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 pm

The guide is now available for download (PDF).

David B

Postby David B » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:45 am

A correction to the Guide for Scaleforum:

The entry for the Missenden stand has Mick Bonwick and Andrew Eaton down as demonstrating. Mick will be appearing with John Gowers.

Mick Bonwick will be demonstrating non-airbrush weathering techniques though he will discuss any aspect including airbrushes

John Gowers will be showing what electronic bits and pieces can do to enhance the way you control your layout, not only stock but other aspects such as turnouts, signals, train detection, control panels, automation and a number of other things.

Both Mick and John are tutors for courses at Missenden Abbey and can answer questions about the three gatherings there each year.

Do go along and see what they have to offer - you could learn something useful!

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Pity about the coach not featuring but the economics are plain enough.
I have just booked a return rail ticket to Aylesbury and had the option of adding Plusbus for £2. Covers all the services mentioned in the guide and will get you to the stadium and back.

kelly

Postby kelly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Just had a look at the show guide, looks like it'll be another great show. However, the societies bit says DEMU was formed in 1998, it was formed in 1994 according to my recollection from looking at past material, with the first issue of UPDate being at the end of 1995 (the first proper issue was 1996 however). This means next year would be the society's 25th anniversary.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

David Bigcheeseplant

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:06 pm

I should be out for a curry on Saturday and a few beers later on Saturday night, and no doubt a few drinks at the Hop Pole on Friday night.

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Woo! Snagged a room for Saturday. Any hep cats up for praising Bacchus?

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Bernie wrote:Woo! Snagged a room for Saturday. Any hep cats up for praising Bacchus?

I take it this means that you would like to join us, Bernie. The more the merrier!

When I reviewed the first S4um at Stoke Mandible in Snooze 185 I wrote the following:

"Unless you live near-ish by, attending on both days involves an overnight stay. This entails not only finding somewhere to stay but possibly finding something to do and someone with whom to do it. We are missing a trick here. I understand that the exhibitionists were offered a meal on the Saturday night in a restaurant that wasn’t quite up to the job and that traders were given a list of places to eat and drink. My suggestion is for someone who knows what’s what to pick somewhere decent and let it be known that “the S4um crowd”, whatever that is, will be there if anyone fancies joining them. If that idea does not appeal, mere punters could perhaps have access to the traders’ guide to enable an informed choice. Is the idea of mixing exhibitionists, traders and punters such a bad one?"

We do not seem to be much further forward after five years. Does anyone know how many punters stay for the weekend? I don't and I suspect the Society doesn't either. Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, "something to do" specifically excludes watching Casualty in the private misery of ones hotel room!

Chris

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Nice one, Sir Chris.
For all the Saturday stayers, what do we want to do?

1 Snap=curry, pub dinner, chinese, spud U like, etc?
2 pub=which one ie lager mentalism or camra?
3 club?=classical string quartet, folk music or speed thrash punk metal rap cobblers?

Slightly tongue in cheek, I know.
Two weeks to go, ideas?
B

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:31 am

While we decode and ponder Bernie's options, curry lovers will wish to know that the Bengal Blue is apparently already full with the Bristol crew.

Meanwhile, I would like to make another suggestion. I don't know whether and where the Society is laying on anything for the exhibitionists etc this year but I should like to ask if there is any objection in principle to punters being invited to join them. To judge from the responses so far there are not that many of us. Some elitist societies would pour scorn on the idea at once but I think ours is better than that.

Chris

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:58 am

chrisf wrote:While we decode and ponder Bernie's options, curry lovers will wish to know that the Bengal Blue is apparently already full with the Bristol crew.

Chris

Thanks for revealing that inside information Chris ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 am

chrisf wrote: I don't know whether and where the Society is laying on anything for the exhibitionists etc this year but I should like to ask if there is any objection in principle to punters being invited to join them.

No formal meal is arranged this year, and this has not happened since 2013 when I did such a thing for exhibitors. Only 34 people came but it was still a lot of extra work. One reason why the idea has not continued is the difficulty in finding a suitable venue. There are some that will do a buffet type meal but for those of us who have been at work since 08.00 or earlier and perhaps grabbed a quick bite for lunch something more substantial is needed.

There is of course no reason why any member of the Society should not organise such a meal but just remember that is all the exhibitors and those who help to run the show came, it would be about 110 people. :( Anyone can do such things and please don't expect the committee to do everything. :)

Terry Bendall

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Aha, some matters arising. Could we be on the verge of a debate?

Tim V, apologies if I have put my foot in it [again]. If my inadvertent indiscretion means that you and the crew are not troubled by invading hoi polloi, that's got to be good, surely?

Terry, thank you for setting me straight. I don't blame you for not organising another meal - you have more than enough to do already. I can't remember now who told me that there might be something this year so if there isn't, there isn't. Personally I can't think of anything worse than 100+ bods round a table! It would make conversation of any sort, let alone intelligent, quite impossible. If there is to be no official revelry, this must mean that smaller groups will be spread right across Greater Aylesbury, often with more than one per venue. We misfits could spend all evening looking for friendly faces without success. Oh boy. Everyone bring a bottle to my place. Casualty will be on.

Seriously though, folks, I would still like anyone who will be around on the Saturday night and has not made arrangements for a chat/bite/pint to put their hands up and we'll see what happens. What I would like even more is to hear the magic words "would you like to join us?"! Heck, a guy can dream, can't he?

Chris

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:59 pm

On the occasions when we have stayed over on Saturday we found the Millwrights Arms on Walton Road a very nice venue for nosh, real ales (and ciders) reasonably quiet and child-free, and walking distance from the stadium too.

Steve

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 pm

steve howe wrote:On the occasions when we have stayed over on Saturday we found the Millwrights Arms on Walton Road a very nice venue for nosh, real ales (and ciders) reasonably quiet and child-free, and walking distance from the stadium too.

Steve

Good call, Steve! As the Millwrights is very close to where I am staying I was hoping that someone would mention it.

Chris

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 pm

There are currently 17 or so from the Bristol contingent hitting the Bengal Blue. To make things easier for the restaurant I said we would be more than happy to have several tables rather than one big one. Certainly when I called last week they did not sound phased or booked up so anyone wanting to join in with the fun and frivolity just needs to give them a call.

Cheers

Paul Bannerman

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Paul

Thanks for clarifying the situation re the Bengal Blue, which clearly I misunderstood.

For those not familiar with that part of Aylesbury the Millwrights is at the other end of Walton Road should thirst break out after your meal.

Chris

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Ruby followed by the Millwrights sound like a go'er. :thumb

kelly

Postby kelly » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:19 pm

The food served near the b&b we used last year was very nice, but can't remember the name of the place now or where we stayed in terms of location (just back from expo em autumn and thus exhausted).
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Return to “Exhibitions”