Scaleforum 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Scaleforum 2018

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:56 am

Some people like to have good notice of when the Society's exhibitions are due to take place so notice is now given that Scaleforum 2018 will take place on September 22nd/23rd, 2018 at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium in Aylesbury.

As an early taster of the layouts that can be seen, we are very pleased to say that Vincent de Bode's Flintfield will be one of the layouts at the event.

Terry Bendall

David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Scaleforum 2018

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am

I just wonder why Scaleforum 2018 is not on the last weekend in September as normal.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:12 pm

I for one am very glad it isn’t as it will (just) avoid our wedding anniversary! I think someone else will be quite pleased as well...

Philip

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:17 pm

I am also happy it is not the last weekend in September.
It means I stand a chance of going to north Wales for an event in my old Land Rover.

Gordon

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:56 am

It seems to be the same weekend. The issue always for me (and it was something that Andrew Jukes and I would discuss whenever we met) is that it is the weekend immediately before the university term begins.

Thanks for the advance notice Terry.

regards

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 am

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:I just wonder why Scaleforum 2018 is not on the last weekend in September as normal

Very simple - Stoke Mandeville Stadium was not available for the last weekend in September next year. :)

Terry Bendall

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Time to give an update on what's in store at Scalforum 2018, due to take place on September 22nd/23rd 2018 at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium in Aylesbury.

This is the line up for Scaleforum 2018 which will take place on September 22nd/23rd 2018

Layouts

Burnham on Sea Model of the station of that name ex Somerset and Dorset railway set in c1959. A very early layout built to P4 standards and now updated and completed by members of the Isle of Wight Group.

Flintfield The much admired GER branch line terminus built by Vincent de Bode returns to Scaleforum

Kerrinhead by Gavin Clark. Fictitious ex Lancashire and Yorkshire branch line set in the mid 1920s and located in the hills between Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Lower Rose Goods by Steve Howe. Rural GWR goods depot at the end of a remote minerasl brach in Cornwall c 1930.

Tredethy Wharf by Ian Johnson A layout fairly new to the exhibition circuit based on a fictitious wharf siding on the Wenfordbridge branch in Cornwall. The layout was inspired by pictures of a Beattie well tank at work and features more mordent traction as well.

Special Guest Layout

We are very pleased to welcome Leighton Buzzard as built by the late Peter Denny as built in 1947 to EM standards. Still running with the original locos and stock, the layout represents one of the first forays into “fine scale” modeling and is as good today as it was 70 years ago, a fine tribute to one of the pioneers of realistic railway modeling.

Demonstrations

In addition, more layouts are featured as part of the following demonstrations listed below. This year we are featuring the construction of layouts as well as those that are substantially complete – finished even, to show the processes involved behind the completed layouts.

Beginners at Work – a demonstration with a difference

In order to show that those who are new to working to P4 standards can have success we have a demonstration with a difference planned for this year which is based around Chris Gough’s layout Cadhey Sidings. Described on our Forum by Chris under his “Finally made a Start in P4” thread the layout was first shown under construction at Scaleforum 2015 and is now substantially complete and is an excellent example of what a raw beginner can achieve in about three years with a lot of effort and a little help from friends.

Supporting the demonstration will be members of the “Starters” group tutored by Allan Goodwillie and again described on the Forum. Present will be those new to modelling in P4 who have built working loco chassis and successfully built track. Allan will be on hand and will be available to share his techniques which he has so ably described in his posts. Those who are new to model making, or who are not sure where to start will be able to get inspiration and encouragement from this demonstration.

In addition the Bristol Area group are mounting a large demonstration which features almost all the members of the group at work and which will include a further five layouts in various stages of construction

Paul Townsend will be showing his layout Dartmouth as it was in the GWR broad gauge under construction. Another broad gauge enthusiast is Ashley Phillips who will be showing aspects of his layout also under construction.

Well know light railway builder Robin Gay will have his layout Wantage on display. Now close to completion, and with trains in operation, the layout is based on the well known Wantage Tramway. In addition, Peter Tarver will be present with his layout Ilkley under construction. A further example of a layout under construction will be shown by Paul Bannerman who favours the rarely seen Highland Railway. In addition Paul Hutfield will be showing progress towards his model of Radstock.

Other demonstrations as part of this display will include Gordon Ashton demonstrating Templot, Richard Lane with an example of the Group’s GOYA project (you will have to ask him what that stands for) and also including layout lighting and Mark Humphreys who will be covering a range of modelling techniques.

Further inspiration for model making will come from Noel Anderson who will be covering Train Operation, Nigel Newling who will be showing his methods of coach construction with an emphasis on GWR coaches and Martin Goodall who will be showing the coupling that he has developed for his Burford layout.

Finally, as part of the Area Group display we are delighted to welcome Gordon & Maggie Gravett who will be showing the scenic techniques they have developed for Pempoul and more recently for Arun Quay

We had hoped to have on display at Scaleforum Balcombe Viaduct and the nearby Balcombe Station currently under construction by Rod Cameron and John Farmer. Unfortunately family matters mean that progress has not been as rapid as they had hoped so in place of that we will have the popular DRAG test track. In addition the Nottingham Area group will be showing their test track, a far more modest affair but something which could be achieved by an individual.

In addition to all this we will have a wide range of traders who will be able to supply all that is needed for your model making and a range of visiting Societies.

Scaleforum - teaching you how to work in P4

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon May 21, 2018 9:15 am

May I take this opportunity to set the record straight on a couple of points about our Burnham-on-Sea layout, as I am anxious not to raise expectations about what will be on view at Scaleforum that we shall be unable to fulfil?

Although our group does number several members who live on the Isle of Wight, we have just as many living on Big Island. The layout was started as a project of the erstwhile Avon and Somerset Area Group of the Scalefour Society, but for practical purposes that group ceased to exist many years ago as its membership dispersed to other parts of the country.

Some of the Avon & Somerset Group's former members were persuaded to revive the layout for the Railwells 2016 commemoration of the closure of the Somerset & Dorset with the assistance of some Vectian 'new blood'. Following that outing we decided we should make the effort to try to finish what we had started nearly forty years before, but that effort is one that is still ongoing.

Our intention is to exhibit a broadly accurate historical representation of Burnham station and its environs in a period roughly encompassing the first 5-6 years after Nationalisation (1959 is feasible, but a little outside the era we have selected). Our model of the station's infrastructure is now substantially complete bar some detailing, but we are still left with a townscape to build that is some twenty feet in length.

There's no getting away from this: if you choose to model a real location, virtually nothing will be available to you ready made, and you will have to find ways of accurately representing your chosen prototype, whatever the difficulties of doing so may be. I have been discovering this the hard way as I've been beavering away at the townscape, and although I have made respectable progress at the east end of the layout, a minimum of six substantial buildings and terraces will still be unstarted by the time Scaleforum comes around. So, although we will try to give an impression of what the finished model will look like through the use of building mock-ups, please don't expect the layout to be complete by September. We hope, however, that those who saw the layout at Railwells in 2016 will confirm that significant progress has since been made.

Since 2016 the layout's operational aspects have been refined, the more accurately to reflect the way in which the Branch from Evercreech Junction to Burnham was run. Even though the landscape through which the trains pass remains to be completed, we expect those trains to operate an authentic Somerset and Dorset service with appropriate motive power and rolling stock in correct formation. In this respect, the layout is in good shape for a forty year old!

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 pm

Sounds fascinating :thumb
Tim Lee

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Mon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks to Terry for the overview of this years `Scaleforum. As mentioned the Bristol group will be out in force doing various things although the correct description for my layout is ‘barely started’. Now I’ve retired other things keep on getting in the way and progress is well behind where I had hoped to be!. I will be bringing along a number of Highland based projects I am currently working on which hopefully be of interest.

Regards

Paul Bannerman

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks Terry - looks like a good line up!

Ilkey (shed) is being covered both here & on RMW but neither have been updated recently. While I'm still working through the list of jobs I made at the beginning of the year of things to do by Easter (which apparently came & went some time ago?), actual progress is better than that documented. The're has been little enough spare time for the modelling! Still a lot to do to be where I want to be by September, but I am using it as a good incentive to crack on, & I think there will be a few things of general interest.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:.....we will have the popular DRAG test track. ...

Excellent :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:40 pm

I have arranged my holiday around the dates and booked the hotel, I just hope that I'm not to jet lagged, too appreciate the show.

Phil.

kelly

Postby kelly » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 am

Hotel booked, looking forward to another fantastic show in September.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 pm

This evening I've added a few details online for the 2018 show.

dclift

Postby dclift » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 am

The Scaleforum 2018 flyer which arrived some time ago indicates that advance tickets are available on the website. For the life of me I cannot find where. I am quite willing to accept that this is due to incompetence on my part, but I should be most grateful if someone could point me to the right place. I am very much looking forward to the event, to catching up with old friends, and to making new ones, not to mention putting my wallet and credit card through their paces at the traders' stands.

Cheers.
David Clift.

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:17 am

No incompetence on your part - they have not yet been listed. Watch this space over the coming week.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:03 pm

John McAleely wrote:No incompetence on your part - they have not yet been listed. Watch this space over the coming week.

Tradition has been that they appear once RailWells is safely out of the way. From various pictures on Facebook, that appears to be mission accomplished, so I'm sure that you will see them soon.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:30 pm

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:31 pm

I've also updated the list of traders. My apologies to Cheltenham Model Centre and Phoenix Precision Paints who were omitted from the initial list, entirely down to a mistake on our part.

dclift

Postby dclift » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks John. Ticket duly booked and printed. Looking forward to meeting you in Aylesbury.
David Clift.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Don't forget Chris Gough's Cadhay ... which is also 'up and running'. .... And then the layouts as part of Bristol Area Group offering should have much of interest.

Looking forward to it.
Tim Lee

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Monty wrote:Is it just me or are there fewer up & running layouts this year? I make it only 6 + Leighton Buzzard.
Regards.

There is a deliberate emphasis this year on skills, demonstrations and participation. If you've seen Terry's piece in the September Railway Modeller, or the adverts in Railway Express or Hornby Magazine, you will have seen some of the aspects on offer.

So as has been said, many of the layouts are part of the demonstrations, and vice versa.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 pm

If there weren't enough excuses to go to Scaleforum already, here is another........

I am pleased to announce the forthcoming publication of volume 3 of my father's series on railway cranes. This will be available from mid September on the 23/24 September and will be formally launched at Scaleforum with my father in attendance if you want to speak to him. This will be on the Crecy book stand along with a selection of their books (including volumes 1 & 2 if you haven't got these).

For this volume we move away from breakdown cranes to permanent way cranes. This is a big topic and has even less standardisation than breakdown cranes (and there ain't much in that!). Thus the book is not intended to be a comprehensive review of all such cranes but rather more a review of the main types and development of them.

thumbnail_9780960936848 Railway Cranes.jpg

The book covers from the relatively early days (given the scarcity of material on early cranes, this is a slightly relative concept) upto the contemporary Kirov cranes.

If you can't make it to Scaleforum, then it can be ordered via your preferred bookseller or direct from Crecy http://www.crecy.co.uk/railway-cranes-3.

The one book in the series that is still to be done is one of cranes mounted on engines. My father does not feel that he knows enough to write this one so if there are any that feel that they (or collectively) know sufficient, I know a publisher that would be interested.............. (PS this is not a mikey take, it would be great to finish the story!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Travel advice and information for Scaleforum is now available on our web site at https://www.scalefour.org/scaleforum/sms/directions

Regrettably one of the facilities that will not be on offer this year is an exhibition bus service from Aylesbury railway station to the exhibition venue. The cost of providing this service last year was £760 but the use only bought in £246. The figures have been similar in previous years and we cannot sustain this sort of expense.

We are aware that the bus service was very useful to those who choose to travel by train. The travel information includes details of services buses which run from Aylesbury bus station - about 300 years from the railway station, to the stadium, or nearby and there are several taxi firms in the town. The travel information gives details of some of these and other can be found via the internet.

Those who choose to use a taxi will probably find on arrival at the railway station others seeking to do the same so a quick enquiry will no doubt enable you to link up with others and share the cost. You might even make some new friends as a result. :)

Terry Bendall

Return to “Exhibitions”