CRAG Meeting 7 Aug 2018

Moderator: Stephen Paulin

SteamAle

CRAG Meeting 7 Aug 2018

Postby SteamAle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 am

Our August meeting had to be delayed by 48 hours due to our host, Stephen Paulin, having to attend an urgent eye appointment in Liverpool. This resulted in a number of regular attendees being unable to make it due to prior commitments.
The venue was the former Midland Railway station masters house at Kirkby Stephen. I arrived just after 12.30 and after a quick 'catch-up' we adjourned to the station itself, well it was 50 years since the end of steam and guess what? Steam was back on the Settle and Carlisle Railway. First up was Leander heading north. Due to the fact that the 'powers to be' are unable to take 'risks' and make sensible decisions it was being pushed by a diesel. There had been considerable rain during the preceding week and they could not decide if they should lift the restrictions imposed during one of the hottest summers known.
P1040036s.jpg

Time for lunch so three of us, Cherry came along, adjourned to the Pennine Hotel on main street. Unfortunately the service and menu choice were not as good as on our previous visit. Having said that the beer was spot on. Drinks ordered Ron and Patsy arrived. They had gone to Garsdale to watch Leander as it headed further north. Lunch over it was back up the hill for a short discussion before it was time to walk back up to the station to see the first of THREE southbound steam hauled trains in one day!
P1040038s.jpg

Back again to the house and this time a look at Killicrankie. Stephen is providing a home for it and has started various jobs. I foolishly volunteered to build a control panel for it! Work is almost complete but more will be revealed in a new thread to be started in layouts, when I get time. Several boards are up in the garage and a train can be run across three of them by the judicious use of crocodile clips. The multiple pin plug to join two of the boards together did not actually reach. Confirmation, I believe, that the layout had never actually all been put up and operated! Time for tea. Then out with the soldering iron. One set of wires were disconnected and then the plug between two boards fitted. I'll solder them back in place when the board is taken down as doing it upside down is not an option for me nowadays!
Back up the station steps for another train.
P1040039s.jpg

Back down the steps and time to tackle a dead short between two boards when the plugs are put in. Thought I'd solved it but it caused a loss of power two boards away!!!! Bother. Put everything back as it was until I can get my head round how that one happened. Again the boards will need to be taken doen to try and see what is wrong with the wiring. Everything checked and packed away before going up the station steps for the last time at 17.50 to see the final steam train of the day.
P1040040s.jpg

We did get lots of exercise and not all lifting pints of real ale! Goodbyes and then off home. The control panel and board it connects too is still in the boot of my car a week later but at least my railway room has had the vacumn put over the floor before I start again with wiring and fitting of new tortoise point motors. A story for the new site.

Our meeting next month will take us to the very north of the county and the home of Bob Hetherington where we hope to run his layout, Garrigill. Scrathbuilt Stockton and Darlington stock. A joy to behold.
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SteamAle

Re: CRAG Meeting 7 Aug 2018

Postby SteamAle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:45 am

On the preview I thought I got the images sorted having dragged and dropped into place. They appear at the bottom of the post in the wrong order now! Can I ask the site wizz kid to try and correct them please?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Don't use the 'IMG' tag when placing in line, just put the cursor where you want it and click on the place in line button.
Sounds like you had a good day.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Thanks for doing that report, Phil. It seems you had a great time.

I don't understand why they spoil the appearance of the train by adding a diesel immediately behind the steam loco. I thought the usual practice was to couple it at the very rear?

Ian

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:21 pm

I think it has something to do with how much work the steam engine is actually going to do. When coupled at the rear, which I have had on tours, it is either for occasional banking assistance or for shunting at the destination, to save having a standby engine at various places. Often the diesel is just another heavy carriage.

When there is a fire risk, as in recent times, the diesel engines have been doing most of the work to lessen the likelihood of sparks from a hard working engine setting fire to the surroundings.
Philip

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Keith
Many thanks for this. Ian usually posts the report after I send the photos to him but as he could not make it did it all myself.
I quickly tried to find the instructions on posting photos but couldn't and as usual I was in a rush.
We will have to see how I get on with the new Killicrankie postings when I get round to it. I may need to call on your help again!
Philip

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 am

Coupling the diesel immediately behind the steam locomotive looks like an effort to recapture the flavour of operations in the 1960s, when steam traction so often had to be pressed into service to rescue the broken down diesel ;).

If a diesel has to take over haulage to alleviate fire risks, presumably it has to be marshalled at the head of the train. Or does the steam 'pilot' retain control of train braking? As I recall, this was the division of responsibility between train and assisting engines on the 'Dorset', with the train engine's driver having sometimes to rein in an over-enthusiastic pilot driver.

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:46 am

John Palmer wrote: Or does the steam 'pilot' retain control of train braking? As I recall, this was the division of responsibility between train and assisting engines on the 'Dorset', with the train engine's driver having sometimes to rein in an over-enthusiastic pilot driver.

Rule 135(a) of the 1950 BR Rulebook: "When a train is drawn by two engines the Driver, and Fireman where provided, of the leading engine are responsible for the observance of signals and the working of the brake; the Driver of the second engine must watch for and act upon signals given by the Driver of the leading engine, but the Driver of the second engine is not relieved from the due observance of all signals affecting the working of the train, and in case of need he must apply the brake."

The rule takes account of the existence at the time of unfitted goods trains, but presumably something similar is still in force where both steam and diesel locos are involved, as the leading crew have the clearest view of the line ahead.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Cumbrian Region Area Group (CRAG)”