Scalefour Southwest (Railwells) 2018

Announcements, recommendations, visit reports etc. Discussion of the Society's own shows.
Steve Carter

Scalefour Southwest (Railwells) 2018

Postby Steve Carter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 pm

This weekend!

See https://www.scalefour.org/scalefoursouthwest/2018/

Always a cracking show.
16 layouts with 4 in P4 including Tim Venton’s last showing of Clutton.
John Chambers and I will be there with the Society Stand and Jeremy is attending with the Society Stores. We look forward to seeing you.

The Town Hall,
Market Place,
Wells,
Somerset BA5 2RB
Saturday August 11th, 10.30 to 5.30
Sunday August 12th, 10.00 to 4.30
Admission Adults £6.00, Accompanied Child (15 and under) Free
Wheelchair user & Child £4.00

http://railwells.com/railway-show/railwells-show-2018/
Steve Carter

Tim V

Re: Scalefour Southwest (Railwells) 2018

Postby Tim V » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:15 pm

The Scalefour News editor will be there, but probably a little stressed ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Looking forward to it. I'll be demoing on the EMGS another stand, though I will have a bit of P4 stuff on show.
Especially looking forward to seeing the north Cornwall railway in 2FS.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:43 am

Tim V wrote: The Scalefour News editor will be there, but probably a little stressed ...

What! After all the appearances that Clutton has made, you should be used to it by now! :D

I shall also be at the show helping with some stewarding.

Terry Bendall

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 am

The DRAG annual pilgrimage will be made 'en masse' on Sunday, preceded by the usual fulsome breakfast in the cafe in the square. :D

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing John Greenwood's Cornish empire!
John

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am

Woe betide anyone who falls foul of my PAT tester!

I have amassed a bumper crop of books and DVD's for our charity bookstall this year and I might throw in some odds and ends which I haven't been able to sell so far. Might be worth bringing a carrier bag. All proceeds (100%) go to Railway Children so looking to avoid the short arms and deep pockets brigade.

During the recent clearout of my vast collection of modelling paraphernalia it feels like I have made quite a few new friends from within the Society. Look forward to saying hello face to face if any of you are planning to come along on Saturday.

Roy

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:43 pm

The Show Guide advises that the Mendip Xplorer Bus service 376 connecting Bristol and Wells departs Wells Bus Station for Bristol at 02 and 32 mins past each hour, but this does not seem to be the case.

Here is a link to the online timetable

I expect I'll see many familiar faces there on Saturday: looking forward to it :D

All the Best
Danny

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

I think whoever gave those times was looking at the Sunday timetable, Danny, but the timetable for both days changes slightly later in the afternoon.
Regards
Noel

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Rail Wells this afternoon erecting Clutton with the Society stand also being assembled in the background.

IMG_20180810_181301.jpg

Checking baseboard alignment.

IMG_20180810_181241.jpg

Gordon A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Clutton's last Exhibition:

DSCF2688.JPG

DSCF2709.JPG

DSCF2687.JPG

DSCF2710.JPG

Danny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:58 pm

I paid a flying visit to the show on my way home from holiday. Our scale was very well represented as always. Two and a half hours is not long enough to do that show properly but it's better than nothing!

Chris

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm

At 4.30 this afternoon, the hall was empty apart from the crowd that had assembled to watch the final (public) trains on Clutton. The occasion was marked with headboards on both trains.
Tim V

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Tim V wrote:At 4.30 this afternoon, the hall was empty apart from the crowd that had assembled to watch the final (public) trains on Clutton. The occasion was marked with headboards on both trains.

Is this "last" as in "Frank Sinatra's last tour" or last as in "positively absolutely never to be repeated"?

I trust the very last train was accompanied by the traditional branch-line send-off, with brass bands and detonators on the rails (all in 4mm and working, obviously!)

I recall once asking you what you'll do when Clutton is finally complete, and you replied "rip it up and build another layout!" - so what can we look forward to next? I can already hear Terry whispering in your ear and waving a booking form......

Seriously, many thanks from all of us for all the pleasure you've given thousands of people down the years, and the understanding you've helped of how a railway worked - and may Clutton rest in peace :D

Regards
Chris

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Very, very enjoyable show. Enjoyed the diversity. Good to see my 'usual friends' and new 'friends' who I can now put a face to. Finally put a face to Noel, the red bus avatar, and had a couple of good chats with him. Was next to Roger Orpwood and his microscopic T scale demonstration model which initially he would not divulge its secrets of how it worked. Listened intently to all the theories being banded about but the secret was eventually revealed at 4pm on the Sunday........all worked by pulleys and strimmer cable!!!
My thanks go the the organisation team, all the helpers, the catering team who put on a good spread and Mark Tatlow who did a good spell on Mount Woodville allowing Jen and I to have an hour or so seeing the show.
My only regrets are that due to Jen's worsening condition this may well be my last time exhibiting in person......although I will be looking into other alternatives.
Rob

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

I too had a good day+quarter, two nights away and a long drive from the frozen north. Mostly to see the very large 2mm crowd who were planning to attend.

RobM wrote:Was next to Roger Orpwood and his microscopic T scale demonstration model which initially he would not divulge its secrets of how it worked. Listened intently to all the theories being banded about but the secret was eventually revealed at 4pm on the Sunday........all worked by pulleys and strimmer cable!!!

I got close enough in examining, but only with help from a fairly strong pocket magnifier I carry in my wallet. With magnification, the drive bar and very narrow slot against the rails became apparent. I promised not to tell, so when asked by others what I thought, I started on about pixies Roger had imprisoned in the bottom of the loco chassis (I think he's using pixies to make the spoked wheels...). I remain puzzled about how he proposes to do turnouts, though he said he had a plan.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:I trust the very last train was accompanied by the traditional branch-line send-off, with brass bands and detonators on the rails (all in 4mm and working, obviously!)

I recall once asking you what you'll do when Clutton is finally complete, and you replied "rip it up and build another layout!" - so what can we look forward to next? I can already hear Terry whispering in your ear and waving a booking form......

Seriously, many thanks from all of us for all the pleasure you've given thousands of people down the years, and the understanding you've helped of how a railway worked - and may Clutton rest in peace :D

Regards
Chris

Thanks Chris

The brass band was Saturday!
Tim V

Return to “Exhibitions”