DJ Models Austerity

Hardwicke

DJ Models Austerity

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Has anyone converted a DJ Models Austerity to P4? 2mm stub axles. Solid wheels.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

nigelcliffe

Re: DJ Models Austerity

Postby nigelcliffe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:23 pm

I've had one apart to discuss EM conversion with a friend. We're going to build the RT Models chassis, and a High Level Gearbox (which will thread things up the firebox into the boiler). Will probably compensate it (springing would be possible). Should still be room for a speaker for sound if wanted by the owner. Wheels probably from Gibson (will fettle them on my lathe before fitting).

Mechanically, I think the DJ model is questionable. Geared axles plus coupling rods is usually a recipe for a mess, the motor is tiny, about the size I'd use in 2mm work, so I doubt its longevity.

- Nigel

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 am

I can see that there is no springing, a retrograde step compared to the original Dapol one. The coupling rods are one piece and could do with being two part jointed ones but then the Dapol one is the same. I was assured that P4 would not be a problem but the brakes are tight to the wheels. Again, questionable. Dave said that the wheels are on stub axles so will move outwards which is useful but no one makes the correct Austerity shape unless you model 00. The body however is an improvement. The gas producer one with the conical chimney is particularly nice.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 am

So the answer is, no one has built a P4 one yet.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 am

There seems to be space (just) if the backs of the brake blocks are thinned down. Nice brake linkage underneath. There also seems to be a little slop in the axleboxes to allow some movement, but not a lot. The wheels are very nice and with a spare set it might be feasible to remove the tyres in the lathe and fit P4 rims. I need to do that with the Baby Warship too as there are no wheels available.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Had another close look. I think the brakes will disengage with the cross links which can be replaced with brass rod to the correct length.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:30 am

20180807_182929.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 am

20180807_183118.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am

Is it possible to cut the rims off in the lathe and fit new ones from say Gibson? I did this on my Airfix/Kitmaster 04 years ago ( no lathe then, just a hand drill and a file ! ). No one makes P4 Austerity wheels that look correct.

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:59 pm

The RT Models chassis kit is another option. As you say though, there are no correct wheels to buy.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 pm

I have one of those for another austerity. I wanted a quick conversion and the wheel centres are lovely.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:25 pm

I've not done anything with the loco wheels but note that DJ suggest feedback controllers such as a Pentroller will damage the loco. I'm not changing all my controllers for one engine. Is there a fix?

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Hardwicke wrote:I've not done anything with the loco wheels but note that DJ suggest feedback controllers such as a Pentroller will damage the loco. I'm not changing all my controllers for one engine. Is there a fix?

Whilst the motor would probably be seen off by a crude low-frequency feedback device (eg. Gaugemaster black-faced types), I'd be surprised if a Pentroller would damage it. I assume DJ know that just about all DCC chips employ back-emf feedback control (admittedly at high frequencies), the model they sell has a decoder socket. That said, I don't think the motor will last very long even if run on a pure-DC battery controller - its feels (I haven't measured it) smaller than the motor I have in a 2mm scale J94. My opinion of the mechanical side of the model is "bound to fail within a couple of years", so anyone wanting one for the body only has to wait a little while for them to come up for sale as non-runners.

A friend has one, we've stripped it down to see what its like and how to make it work on EM. The downhill lumpy running (gears clashing with rod movements) makes it useless on the layout with two significant gradients, so it will get an RT models chassis, and we'll solve the wheels either by "don't care so long as they're round", or dream up something clever.

- Nigel

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 pm

nigelcliffe wrote: The downhill lumpy running
- Nigel

Sounds like the real thing in Coal Board days....

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:36 pm

nigelcliffe wrote:A friend has one, we've stripped it down to see what its like and how to make it work on EM. The downhill lumpy running (gears clashing with rod movements) makes it useless on the layout with two significant gradients, so it will get an RT models chassis, and we'll solve the wheels either by "don't care so long as they're round", or dream up something clever.

The same design philosophy in the chassis of the Hattons/DJM 14XX means that even in OO, the only route to a decent running loco is a replacement chassis, as far as I am concerned.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Anyone wanting an RT chassis may have to wait a bit at the moment, Robert is taking some time off from model supply because the day job (stepping in when the big railway falls over) is proving a bit busy - see announcement/discussion/best wishes etc in the other place.
David L-T

Return to “Steam Locomotives”