Mk2 lever frame , connecting 5-way units together

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
junctionmad

Mk2 lever frame , connecting 5-way units together

Postby junctionmad » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Can someone fill me in as to how these 5-ways units are connected together in a longer frame, if I just butt each tab up , the quadrant is slightly " stepped "in or out of each alternative 5-way unit. The instructions are silent on the approach

thanks

Dave

PS. really we should be designing out BA screws, damm things are frightfully expensive

Colin Parks

Re: Mk2 lever frame , connecting 5-way units together

Postby Colin Parks » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello Dave,

Just had a look at my frame components to double-check. Although I have not got as far as forming the quadrant plates (I am making four units), there are circular etched recesses on the l/h front and r/h rear of the front flange of the quadrant plates. These recesses overlap each other when bolted together, resulting in a smooth, flush joint. Here is how in understand the assembly stage of that aspect of the units:

Each quadrant plate, from first to fourth in your case, (you do not need a nut on the fifth quadrant plate counting from left to right), should have a (damned!) 8BA nut soldered on the rear of the flange i.e. behind the half-etched recess. The same principle applies to the pivot plates, except they have strengthening washer soldered onto the top of the l/h hole. See page five of the instructions (and aslo page twelve).

I have used 8 BA nuts on the main frame instead of tapping the holes on the rear flanges.

Hope that helps.

Colin

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 am

ah, I see now what you mean , there is an etched recess , thanks , Only 50 levers to go !

Im using M2 and have placed all my BA screws in a safe deposit box for future generations !

JFS

Postby JFS » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:13 am

Hello Dave,

Glad to hear that you are now sorted. There is no problem to substitute M2.5 nuts and bolts - though the brass ones are not massively cheaper.
I will see if an addition to the notes would help people to spot this.

Best Wishes,

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”